Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

N54 E90 6MT DRAG RACE RESULTS

First of all, my hats off to those that can get 11 s even 12s with 6 mt N54s. This is my second N54. My first one was an auto and I was able to get consistent 12.5 s with 12.2 being the lowest, using Cobb OTS E30 map. I didn't have any suspension mods on that car and had 19" tires with crappy Hankook v12s.

My current car has coilovers, lsd, diff. lockdown kit, michelin PSS, ARC08 lighweight rims etc. I was running BMS backend flash using e35. I had 8 runs, the last one being the best result I had. This was the only run I didn't turn the traction control completely off. I hit it only once and had the least amount of wheel spin. My trap speeds were between 108-114 mph. (2.5 60 ft resulted with 108 mph trap speed and 2.1 60 ft. resulted with 114 mph.) The first gear and even 2 nd gear had serious traction issues that I ended up lowering the boost to 8 psi on 1st and 12 psi on the second.

The tires was set to 30 psi. I tried launching the car in so many different ways but wasn't successful in any of them. The only thing I can think off that is wrong with my car is the suspension geometry (other than a terrible driver obviously). My car is lowered on coilovers and it is at least an inch, inch and a half lower than a standard car. Maybe raising the rear could help? I don't know.

Once again, I know dzenno and some others drag races 6mt s and are able to get 11s. You gentlemen are stud drivers.

Here is my last run with almost no wheel hop and better traction. The STI passed me like I was standing still. Click here to enlarge

Here is the video of my last run.

Spec2+ Clutch, SS SMFW, BMS backend flash, VRSF DPs, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP - Tial BOV, N20 3.5 Bar map sensor, BMS OCC, Walbro 255, Wavetrac LSD, Defiv Diff. lockdown kit, UUC EVO3 and DSSR, AFE DCI, H&R Coilovers, M3 Front control arms, rear arms, rear subframe bushings, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, Michelin PSS 265/35/18 - 235/40/18, Apex ARC-8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

need to work on the launch.. do you have pics of the time slips? I see your basically just dropping the clutch which is going to cause lots of tire spin.
    Last edited by rdeterman; 10-20-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

What times did you run?

1) lower tire pressure and do a bigger burnout
    2) launch it harder like 2500 rpm at least
    3) NLS, make sure you are tuned for it
    4) At least you're on the right track not expecting same numbers as an AT! lol (at least you can push more power through your trans though)
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Here is the time slip of this run. and yes this was the best run I had. my 60 ft. were generally 2.5 and trap speeds were at 83-85 miles @ 1/8 and 110-113 trap speen at quarter miles.Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Spec2+ Clutch, SS SMFW, BMS backend flash, VRSF DPs, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP - Tial BOV, N20 3.5 Bar map sensor, BMS OCC, Walbro 255, Wavetrac LSD, Defiv Diff. lockdown kit, UUC EVO3 and DSSR, AFE DCI, H&R Coilovers, M3 Front control arms, rear arms, rear subframe bushings, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, Michelin PSS 265/35/18 - 235/40/18, Apex ARC-8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Practice, practice and more practice! Getting a good 60 and not lagging on your shifts will net a good time. I usually launch around 2.2-2.5k while slipping the clutch liberally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

your car should be trapping 118+
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    There's a few things you can do to improve...here's what I can see by analyzing your slips:

1.) Your 60ft is pretty bad, esp. for having an LSD. Run more tire pressure up front, and less in the rear (try 26psi rear next time, and 45psi front). You should be able to get at a 1.8 60' easily with an LSD and your tires.

2.) Your 1st - 2nd shift is very slow. This is evidenced by your 330' time. Bone stock w/ just PSS tires I was able to beat your 330' time by about .3 - .4 seconds w/ traction control off-off. Practice this on the street if you want, as it's probably the biggest time robbing shift of the run.

3.) Your trap MPH is low for your mods. As others have said, it should be much higher, regardless of your launch. Do a boost leak test, maybe you need a walnut blast / new plugs, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Gotta slip the clutch a little bit in first for the launch. Also I don't usually hold WOT in first gear until the tires hook or I get around 5k RPM. Getting used to dragging the car will help you a lot, also track prep and good tires help a lot. My 60' went down almost .4 seconds by switching from hancooks to Nitto 555's just because they hook better so the threshold for spinning out an entire gear went down. Practice OP, you will get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    1.) Your 60ft is pretty bad, esp. for having an LSD. Run more tire pressure up front, and less in the rear (try 26psi rear next time, and 45psi front). You should be able to get at a 1.8 60' easily with an LSD and your tires.
    Easily? With a 6MT? Until he's had a lot of practice he'll probably be doing well to hit 2.0.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

I didn't mean it was easy for an inexperienced driver, just easy for an LSD + good tires Click here to enlarge

It'll come w/ practice. You don't need to rev more than 2500rpm, that is plenty. Just practice letting the clutch out slower and letting it slip more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

For the FBO guys, do you have any problem getting traction in 2nd gear on the street?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jewber Click here to enlarge
    For the FBO guys, do you have any problem getting traction in 2nd gear on the street?
    I do when my tires get older than about 6 mos.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I tried launching in different rpms from 1500-2500. Nothing seemed to work. My car has 68k miles and still on the original clutch. So, I was hesitant to slip the clutch as I was afraid that it may be the end of the day for me and I didn't want to take the chance. I know practice makes it perfect but I was certainly not expecting it to be this challenging. I sent my logs to Terry and I obvioulsy have some shift bogging issues. He recommended that I install NLS which I will and see if it helps. As far as car should trap 118+ mph comment, I know but the car needs a better driver for that Click here to enlarge

The car is running just fine. I had wallnut blasting done, 2k miles ago and spark plugs and coils were changed 500 miles ago. I also changed the oil with Motul 300v the night before I went to the strip.

One more comment, the car is so much easier to launch on the street, I get absolutely "0" wheel hop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I didn't mean it was easy for an inexperienced driver, just easy for an LSD + good tires Click here to enlarge

It'll come w/ practice. You don't need to rev more than 2500rpm, that is plenty. Just practice letting the clutch out slower and letting it slip more.
    2.1 is actually a good 60' for a 6MT on street tires. The more power you make, the worse it is. No way you can cut 1.8 on normal tires with the 6MT (it would be the miracle launch). There's just too much tq and so on/off for delivery.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Hi OP,

I also had an auto E88 and now I have an FBO + meth 6MT 135i. No suspension modifications at all other than an M3 strut brace and I have Forgestar F14s with 255 Federal 595 RS-Rs in the rear.

Definitely struggling to get good 60ft times. Launching at around 2,500 RPMs and just basically easing on the throttle and out of the clutch. If you go WOT and drop the clutch you definitely won't go anywhere.

I usually average about 2.1-2.3 60fts with my best being a 2.069 which resulted in my best timeslip of a 12.5@115.

Click here to enlarge

The best trap speed I have managed is a 120.39mph.

Click here to enlarge

Usually my front tyre pressure is around 50psi and my rears are at around 20psi.

Just gotta take it easy on the launch. That's the trick with the 6MT. You want to be firm but fluid. The hardest bit is curbing your excitement and getting overzealous with your throttle application and clutch release. I'm still struggling with this.

Good luck!
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What did the sti do in that run ?
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marcvtec Click here to enlarge
    What did the sti do in that run ?
    12.1 @ 121

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gogunbaba Click here to enlarge
    As far as car should trap 118+ mph comment, I know but the car needs a better driver for that Click here to enlarge
    Trap speed is pretty independent of driver skill on the launch. It shouldn't be off by that much unless you miss a gear or have a really slow shift.

For example, my first time w/ my 135i at the track...I got 3 passes in, each time lowering rear tire pressure. My 60ft times went 2.4, 2.1, 1.9 (stock rear diff, 245 PSS tires). However, my trap speed stayed in the 108.X mph range each time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah man. My 60ft time was 2.1. 13.44 @108 This is my first time at the track. No traction on 1st and 2nd as well. I need to break into 12's next time some how.
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    Yeah man. My 60ft time was 2.1. 13.44 @108 This is my first time at the track. No traction on 1st and 2nd as well. I need to break into 12's next time some how.
    Yikes...what tires / tire pressure were you running? I have 245/35/18 pilot super sports. On my last run (and best) I had lowered pressure to about 28psi and drove around the water box. I managed a 13.0 @ 108mph w/ just a Dinan flash, no mods.

Also, you should be trapping much higher MPH too...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yikes...what tires / tire pressure were you running? I have 245/35/18 pilot super sports. On my last run (and best) I had lowered pressure to about 28psi and drove around the water box. I managed a 13.0 @ 108mph w/ just a Dinan flash, no mods.

Also, you should be trapping much higher MPH too...

My car is 535i. I'm running 285-30-20 Hankook V12 ventus at 30psi. Traction is definitely an issue. I know my car is 12 sec car for sure but I just can't put the power to the ground.... 6MT doesn't help either...
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    My car is 535i. I'm running 285-30-20 Hankook V12 ventus at 30psi. Traction is definitely an issue. I know my car is 12 sec car for sure but I just can't put the power to the ground.... 6MT doesn't help either...
    Hmm...well the 20" rims don't help your cause, and those tires aren't the stickiest either. But still, 285 is pretty wide. Try setting your tire pressure down to 22-24psi in the rear, and 40-45psi in the front next time you're at the track. Also, you have the JB4 so limit your 1st gear boost to like 7psi, and try 10psi in 2nd and see how that does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hmm...well the 20" rims don't help your cause, and those tires aren't the stickiest either. But still, 285 is pretty wide. Try setting your tire pressure down to 22-24psi in the rear, and 40-45psi in the front next time you're at the track. Also, you have the JB4 so limit your 1st gear boost to like 7psi, and try 10psi in 2nd and see how that does.
    Cool. I will give it a try next week if I go. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great times brother!