Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cruise Control Issue w/BB flash

Couple weeks ago I converted from the Cobb BMS backend flash to the BB flash. When i press/pull on the cruise control stalk, nothing happens.

As a test I flashed back to stock bin, and the CC started working. Flash back to the latest BMS backend (via BB flash) and its MIA again. I'm not receiving any flashing errors, and the car drives smoothly and is making power.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you use the "canned" BMS flash or modify your original bin file? I would suggest using the compare feature to apply the changes to your original bin file if you used the canned version.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cruise control wont work if you have traction off or the DTC button pressed....check to see if that may be the reason
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Did you use the "canned" BMS flash or modify your original bin file? I would suggest using the compare feature to apply the changes to your original bin file if you used the canned version.
    I originally tried the canned flash, but when that didnt work, Terry suggested moving the changes over to a copy of my stock rom. I did as instructed with no luck.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Cruise control wont work if you have traction off or the DTC button pressed....check to see if that may be the reason
    Yea, thats not it lol.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump? I have a long trip coming up and id like to be able to take the 135... otherwise i'm gonna have to go back to using the cobb back-end...
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What was your original ROM? Did you have to change from a different stock ROM to the flash I8AOS/IJEOS?
    Last edited by rader1; 10-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    What was your original ROM? Did you have to change from a different stock ROM to the flash I8AOS/IJEOS?
    Not sure what you're asking. I have the I8A0S ROM, been using just that. Would it be possible to change it to IJEOS? I would think that would brick the device...
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xearom3 Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what you're asking. I have the I8A0S ROM, been using just that. Would it be possible to change it to IJEOS? I would think that would brick the device...
    With the BB flash it converts your stock ROM to either I8AOS(for MSD80) or IJEOS(for MSD81) regardless of what the original ROM was. When you have Cobb installed what did it show as your ROM?
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I8A0S
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, that eliminates what I was thinking... Maybe the Cobb back end solution is your best bet for the time being. Cobb is light years ahead of what all the other flash options are capable of ATM anyway.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, that is the end all solution, to go back to what works. I don't think Terry is gonna continue development with those maps for back-end any more though.

Is it possible to move the changes from the BB Flash maps to the Cobb maps?
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It should be, just find out what is modified with the BB flash and transfer it over to the AP. Of course, you could just ditch the piggy and let the AP do all the work but i'm not trying to start that argument lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just tried opening the Cobb/BBFlash maps in Tunerpro and AccessRace, seems like its a no-go either way. Either locked or incompatible. If it would open in TunerPro I could just use the difference tool to copy changes.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep, unable to copy the maps between one another. What the hell am i supposed to do now?? This is really getting frustrating. I thank everyone who has assisted thus far.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With the BB flash it converts your stock ROM to either I8AOS(for MSD80) or IJEOS(for MSD81) regardless of what the original ROM was. When you have Cobb installed what did it show as your ROM?
    So based on what you said here, as a test, could I load a IJEOS bin on my ecu?
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So based on what you said here, as a test, could I load a IJEOS bin on my ecu?
    Nope. If you have an MSD80 then the BB flash just automatically switches you over to an I8AOS ROM rather than offering an option for each unique factory ROM like Cobb does. IJEOS is MSD81 specific and can't be flashed to an MSD80 box.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope. If you have an MSD80 then the BB flash just automatically switches you over to an I8AOS ROM rather than offering an option for each unique factory ROM like Cobb does. IJEOS is MSD81 specific and can't be flashed to an MSD80 box.
    OK, i figured as much, just looking for find different things to rule out.

Tried loading the non-AT JB4 RACE map last night to no avail. Same as other maps, loads fine and drives ok, just no cruise control.

Also loaded Cobb back-end to test and sure enough, cruise works. Not only does it work, but it even works with DTC on/off/whatever lol. It doesn't seem to care.

EDIT: Doesn't care about a low tire either lol.

Click here to enlarge
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) system uses several different modules. I wonder if your problem is that you have some version mis-match somewhere when using one of the "canned" files.

Is it possible for you to load the stock BIN file back onto the DME? If you can, I would suggest opening both the BB back end flash file and the stock file in TunerPro, then copying the changes in the maps from the BB back end flash to the stock BIN. If you can write the stock file to the DME, and the cruise works, simply changing some maps shouldn't cause it to stop working.

You can only open BIN files in TunerPro, and AccessRace will only open Cobb's PTM file format, but once each file is opened in its respective program, you should be able to manually copy maps from one to the other.

It's odd the Cobb back end flash doesn't care what the state of the DSC system is. I use the Cobb AP exclusively, and I can tell you when DSC is off, the cruise does not work. I also have I8A0S (MSD80).

I would get the stock BIN file back on the DME, verify everything works, and make changes from there. Remember to save each iteration of the BIN file so that it is easy to revert to a previous version, and never overwrite the original saved bin from the BB flash app (I think this one has the extension .org to signify it is the original BIN file). This file should be treated as the gold standard for your car. Copy it and make changes to the copied version only. If you make changes one at a time, it will be easy to know what change is causing the problem.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One thing that I noticed about my car is that my cruise control DOES work when DSC is disabled. I can't really explain it but for some reason it always has worked with traction control off, even when the AP is uninstalled.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One thing that I noticed about my car is that my cruise control DOES work when DSC is disabled. I can't really explain it but for some reason it always has worked with traction control off, even when the AP is uninstalled.
    Interesting.

I was reading the "E90 Dynamic Driving Systems" PDF and it specifically states the cruise should not work when DSC is disabled ("System Deactivation" section). Looks like BMW is even confused, though this is not the first time I have seen inconsistencies in a manufacturer's documentation and the observed function of their product. I know you don't have a 335, but I would expect the functionality of these systems to be identical.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Interesting.

I was reading the "E90 Dynamic Driving Systems" PDF and it specifically states the cruise should not work when DSC is disabled ("System Deactivation" section). Looks like BMW is even confused, though this is not the first time I have seen inconsistencies in a manufacturer's documentation and the observed function of their product. I know you don't have a 335, but I would expect the functionality of these systems to be identical.
    Yep, every bit of literature I've seen says it shouldn't work. My buddy's 335i doesn't work with traction control off and all other N54s I've rode in it doesn't work. My car is in a body shop right now but when I get it back i'll grab a video.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) system uses several different modules. I wonder if your problem is that you have some version mis-match somewhere when using one of the "canned" files.

Is it possible for you to load the stock BIN file back onto the DME? If you can, I would suggest opening both the BB back end flash file and the stock file in TunerPro, then copying the changes in the maps from the BB back end flash to the stock BIN. If you can write the stock file to the DME, and the cruise works, simply changing some maps shouldn't cause it to stop working.

You can only open BIN files in TunerPro, and AccessRace will only open Cobb's PTM file format, but once each file is opened in its respective program, you should be able to manually copy maps from one to the other.

It's odd the Cobb back end flash doesn't care what the state of the DSC system is. I use the Cobb AP exclusively, and I can tell you when DSC is off, the cruise does not work. I also have I8A0S (MSD80).

I would get the stock BIN file back on the DME, verify everything works, and make changes from there. Remember to save each iteration of the BIN file so that it is easy to revert to a previous version, and never overwrite the original saved bin from the BB flash app (I think this one has the extension .org to signify it is the original BIN file). This file should be treated as the gold standard for your car. Copy it and make changes to the copied version only. If you make changes one at a time, it will be easy to know what change is causing the problem.
    Ok, that sounds plausible. Yea, I have no problems loading the stock bin (minus loss of performance).

I tried loading the changes from the back-end to a copy of my stock bin without success. I'm starting to wonder now if I've done it incorrectly. I used the difference tool in TP. What are the correct start and ending hex addresses i need to be using?

So far, every time I've loaded either a Cobb map or stock bin, cruise has worked perfectly.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Ok, that sounds plausible. Yea, I have no problems loading the stock bin (minus loss of performance).

I tried loading the changes from the back-end to a copy of my stock bin without success. I'm starting to wonder now if I've done it incorrectly. I used the difference tool in TP. What are the correct start and ending hex addresses i need to be using?

So far, every time I've loaded either a Cobb map or stock bin, cruise has worked perfectly.
    I don't think you want to copy every difference from the BB back end BIN to your stock BIN or you will make the stock BIN exactly the same as the BB back end BIN, which does not solve your problem.

If you can identify which locations in the BB back end BIN represent the maps which need updated in the stock BIN, you can use the diff tool and change the stock BIN on a case by case basis. This will only update those maps, and nothing else. You may have to view the maps manually and verify which are different between the BB back end BIN and the stock BIN, then use the map definition file (*.XDF) to figure out which section of the BIN file contains that map. Then you can copy only those sections of memory from the BB back end BIN which contains the map data needing updated to your stock BIN.

Alternately, You could view each map independently in TunerPro and manually copy the changes over.

I don't have first hand experience with TunerPro so I can't give you more detail.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I don't think you want to copy every difference from the BB back end BIN to your stock BIN or you will make the stock BIN exactly the same as the BB back end BIN, which does not solve your problem.

If you can identify which locations in the BB back end BIN represent the maps which need updated in the stock BIN, you can use the diff tool and change the stock BIN on a case by case basis. This will only update those maps, and nothing else. You may have to view the maps manually and verify which are different between the BB back end BIN and the stock BIN, then use the map definition file (*.XDF) to figure out which section of the BIN file contains that map. Then you can copy only those sections of memory from the BB back end BIN which contains the map data needing updated to your stock BIN.

Alternately, You could view each map independently in TunerPro and manually copy the changes over.

I don't have first hand experience with TunerPro so I can't give you more detail.
    Ok, thats a good point. Thanks for the assistance! Rep for you! Ill dig around in TunerPro and see what I can find.

If anyone more versed in TunerPro could chime in on moving values from one bin to another, I'd appreciate it.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast