Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

F10 M5 version 2.0 - MotorTrend tests BMW's 2014 Competition Package F10 M5 AKA MotorTrend is run by morons

The Competition Package for the F10 M5 is a $7300 option designed to improve the M5 driving experience. BimmerBoost personally feels that as an M5 the car should already be focused around offering the highest performance driving experience to begin with but at least BMW is responding to criticism of the F10 M5 and offering an option designed to improve it. $7300 buys you 15 more horsepower (575 total), a revised suspension with stiffer springs and rolls bars, and revised stability control, steering, and M differential.

Click here to enlarge

Those are some significant changes and the package is BMW essentially admitting those areas can be improved. Notice the E60 M5 and E39 M5 did not need this type of package.

So how good is the package? MotorTrend claims acceleration is not improved by citing similar numbers to their European spec test F10 M5 from last year. No offense to MotorTrend but... actually, scratch that. Large offense to MotorTrend who seems to have amateurs working for them. Just because the elapsed time in the 1/4 mile is still 11.9 to 11.9 does not mean the car is offering the same performance. The trap speed with the Competition Package rises to an impressive 122.2 miles per hour from the 120.3 miles per hour in their previous test. That is just under two miles per hour from a claimed 15 horsepower increase. BimmerBoost is sick of being nice regarding this level of incompetence in interpreting performance numbers from supposedly professional journalists. MotorTrend, you have morons digesting and presenting your information.

Furthermore, citing the 0-60 number as being the same is not evidence of performance between the two models being the same. This being a rear wheel drive car with over 560 horsepower in either trim means it is a traction limited stat. Even if the car gets a larger horsepower bump why would it correlate that the 0-60 should improve when there is already enough power to overwhelm the grip of the street tires? What is wrong with you? What is so hard to understand here? Why does this reviewer have a job?

The Competition Package makes the M5 faster by approximately two miles per hour in the 1/4 mile. That is significant and although one can exceed this in the aftermarket for those who care about their warranty the package is making a performance difference.

This M5 has Carbon Ceramic brakes and fade is eliminated with them which is impressive. A must have option really for a car of this weight that anyone intends to drive in a spirited manner. How about that the lap time improves as well to exceed the standard M6? Now the M6 also gets this same package meaning it will improve as well but these vehicles are finally what they should have been to begin with. That is the conclusion MotorTrend comes to and BimmerBoost agrees with.

Enjoy the full video below as long as you can ignore MotorTrend's glaring mistakes.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow motortrend really dunced it that time, but it isn't the first time. Still the competition package is a little bit of a rip off. I would spend the money on the switzer P700 package which only runs what 7K? And it's reversible. That leaves you 6K for other mods, sways + springs <1K, diff <2K, now the only thing left is the steering/stability control which I'm sure someone out there does for not too much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The package isn't a huge value but at least BMW offers it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who cares if you trap a faster speed if you aren't trapping a quicker time as well?!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    Who cares if you trap a faster speed if you aren't trapping a quicker time as well?!?
    You should work for MotorTrend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you cannot put the power to the pavement, it is USELESS!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You should work for MotorTrend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you cannot put the power to the pavement, it is USELESS!!!
    Sure, if you live your life a quarter mile at a time.

At higher speeds traction is less of an issue. I'd like to see the 60-130 time difference, and top gear roll on from 60. Those give a better picture of how the car behaves in more "real world" driving.

Besides, the fact that there's a 2 mph trap speed difference shows that it is putting the power to the pavement in the second half of the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Higher trap speed indicates a faster car. Lower time indicates a better driver or a car that hooks up well at launch.

AWD cars often have a lower ET and a lower speed than a RWD car which struggles to get off the line as fast but goes faster once it is rolling.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Motor Trend has done NUMEROUS reviews referring to trap speed being the true indicator of performance over the elapsed time(e.g. AMS Alpha 12, Shelby Super Snake, etc.). Even if they're incorrect this one time name calling makes you appear no smarter. @Sticky, your forum is immensely informative so please avoid the name calling as I often refer others to this site for informative discussion in regards to learning more about performance. Just giving my honest opinion brother.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BMW is just dropping the ball all over the place. within those price ranges you can get a S8 or E63 AMG that will do just as good if not better. Plus APR has made a killer tune for the S8. So why would I touch the M's? Just so I can say I drive an M.

I also forget that when you hit 100+ k its probably about status and brand not practicality and performance.

Its great they brought a Comp Package with it. But sad to say the resale value of a m5 or m6 with a comp package will be an inflated resale price like the e46 m3s with comp packages.

TY but I'll spend my 100k + 7300k else where or get much better aftermarket mods!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    Sure, if you live your life a quarter mile at a time.

At higher speeds traction is less of an issue. I'd like to see the 60-130 time difference, and top gear roll on from 60. Those give a better picture of how the car behaves in more "real world" driving.

Besides, the fact that there's a 2 mph trap speed difference shows that it is putting the power to the pavement in the second half of the track.
    I can't believe people do not understand this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    Motor Trend has done NUMEROUS reviews referring to trap speed being the true indicator of performance over the elapsed time(e.g. AMS Alpha 12, Shelby Super Snake, etc.). Even if they're incorrect this one time name calling makes you appear no smarter. @Sticky, your forum is immensely informative so please avoid the name calling as I often refer others to this site for informative discussion in regards to learning more about performance. Just giving my honest opinion brother.
    Absolutely fine but getting it right in the past does not excuse getting it wrong here. Sometimes I just have to call BS and I'm incapable of sugarcoating it. It's too big of a mistake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    BMW is just dropping the ball all over the place. within those price ranges you can get a S8 or E63 AMG that will do just as good if not better. Plus APR has made a killer tune for the S8. So why would I touch the M's? Just so I can say I drive an M.

I also forget that when you hit 100+ k its probably about status and brand not practicality and performance.

Its great they brought a Comp Package with it. But sad to say the resale value of a m5 or m6 with a comp package will be an inflated resale price like the e46 m3s with comp packages.

TY but I'll spend my 100k + 7300k else where or get much better aftermarket mods!
    You can tune this just like you can tune the s8 just likely not to the same tune only gains.

This is better than the e63 now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can tune this just like you can tune the s8 just likely not to the same tune only gains.

E63 is the only wagon option! Click here to enlarge I know i'm pointing out a niche body style. I still think AWD is where is at.

Question is how well with the F10 tunes will be and price point!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to see if the comp pack M5 can lap Laguna faster then the regular M6. If I remember correctly it lapped the figure 8 faster in a more predictable manner. I'm hoping we will actually see some M's in the 39's at Laguna. M/// for Morbidly obese.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Better than the e63 S 4 matic? Doubt it man especially for straight line which these cars are really being used for the m157 currently dominates the s63tu. Talking about which 4400 lb car handles better is pretty pointless theyre both pigs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are telling me. It INFURIATES me that magazines still quote 0-60 numbers to "show" the performance of cars - or as you example shows, using a ET instead of trap when comparing two of the same cars with different output. I have always wondered why these magazines haven't moved up technically - and am wondering it it's simply because they think things like "oh, people won't understand this... or people will have to read an explanation of why we are using 0-100 instead of 0-60 when R&T is doing 0-60 still).

I actually wrote them a letter (with no reply) - it's ridiculous. It's either the above - or the writer of the article either owns the car (or his boss does) and want's to make him feel better. Click here to enlarge

It drives me nuts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol - what? Do you have any idea what a few MPH looks like at the end of a quarter mile? I don't know many people who launch their 400/500/600 HP cars on a daily basis - but this number is extremely indicitive of who's going to roll harder on the expressway... Something that IS a common occurrence with these cars... 60-100 MPH is a very good indicator of real world performance - just as the trap is on a 1/4 mile. Just because a chassis isn't setup to dig in a 1/4 mile doesn't make it "nothing" because it doesn't have "control"... Is a 900 RWHP HPF e46 M3 "nothing" because it can't launch? I wouldn't want to meet one on a highway, that's for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    Better than the e63 S 4 matic? Doubt it man especially for straight line which these cars are really being used for the m157 currently dominates the s63tu. Talking about which 4400 lb car handles better is pretty pointless theyre both pigs
    You must not have seen the video of the stock 2013 M5 (no ceramic brakes, no comp package) walking an E63 S 4Matic from a roll. Also...yes from a dead stop the AMG will hook and go, but they made a second video. Above 60-70 mph, the M5 reels it in and is capable of walking away again. The AMG with AWD is even heavier than the M5. And makes all its power down low. On a highway, I'll take the M5. And around a track, too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    You must not have seen the video of the stock 2013 M5 (no ceramic brakes, no comp package) walking an E63 S 4Matic from a roll. Also...yes from a dead stop the AMG will hook and go, but they made a second video. Above 60-70 mph, the M5 reels it in and is capable of walking away again. The AMG with AWD is even heavier than the M5. And makes all its power down low. On a highway, I'll take the M5. And around a track, too.
    Their is one video out there so lets not jump all over the m5 from one vid. Once we see a bunch of independent stuff done than ill believe it. Also the M157 absolutely dominates the s63tu in the aftermarket its not even close. The S63tu is seeing what 550whp 550wtq with full catless exhaust and eurocharged tune. The M157 is well over 600 whp and over 700 wtq with similar modifications. AWD or not over 150wtq and almost 100 whp advantage it will eat it up on the highway and dig wont be close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Even heavier? theyre both 4400 pounds and within 100 pounds of each other so the weight argument is pointless they are both pigs and with this much power in heavy sedans the awd car will be faster in the hands of the average non professional driver on the track or backroads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also went to go watch the video again it doesnt make sense. The fastest ive seen a stock m5 run was 11.9 at a drag strip. Most likely looking at low 12's on the street. The E63 S WAGON which is 400 pounds heavier than the sedan ran an 11.7 in the motor trend test. The sedan will be even quicker when you take the weight off. What that shows me is that from a dig the m5 wont be able to pass the E63 S until after the quarter mile and after 120 miles per hour. I expect a stock M5 to walk a stock E63 S on the highway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    E63 is the only wagon option! Click here to enlarge I know i'm pointing out a niche body style. I still think AWD is where is at.

Question is how well with the F10 tunes will be and price point!
    Good point on the wagon. Wish Audi saw fit to give us the RS6.

The F10 tunes aren't too expensive and gains aren't terrible. Take a look around the S63TU engine section.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    The M5 has been ahead in the straightline battle actually thanks to the DCT and also because the M5 put out more power than the M157 stock for stock. Now the M157 got a boost but so did the S63TU. I think the M will win the roll ons and the E63 will win the 1/4 mile sprint thanks to all wheel drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The M5 has been ahead in the straightline battle actually thanks to the DCT and also because the M5 put out more power than the M157 stock for stock. Now the M157 got a boost but so did the S63TU. I think the M will win the roll ons and the E63 will win the 1/4 mile sprint thanks to all wheel drive.
    Yes i agree if were talking about stock cars. The MCT in the E63 isnt as bad as people make it seem i have a c63 coupe with it and its a great trans it shifts in under 100 milliseconds and the bmw dct claims the DCT shifts in 80 milliseconds your talking about a .02 difference nothing that a human will feel. Ive driven both and they both are just ridiculously fast when upshifting WOT

The MCT def has the advantage as far as strength weistec is testing JRCarts C63 BS at 790WHP on the stock trans with a positive displacement blower on a 6.2 Liter motor we know thats a heavy combo for the trans to handle. So far its been holding up and it if so they will offer more power for mct users. Thats on a completely STOCK MCT
    Alpha says you can run the alpha 9 package 780 whp and much more torque from the m157 on a stock trans.
    The MCT is an incredibly strong transmission almost unheard of
    You know yourself the BMW DCT isnt the strongest out there.

Having driven both i will say the advantage the DCT has is in responsiveness especially on downshifts and being able to skip multiple gears. The mct gets caught up and its hard to go down multiple gears thats its main down fall. Also the software must be off because theres a delay from when you pull the paddle on a mct to when it actually shifts its frustrating. But when it shifts it shifts fast

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast