Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    Opened up in negative DA cold weather not the inferno summer of south florida. I had to close it when summer rolled in as the car was not running smooth regardless of tune on it. the minute I closed up the intake cover it never came back off. There is more air pass through on the 335is since it does have more air ducts, so it was ideal for me to open it up during the colder season. Also, what I know now I didnt know back then.

The OP test was done in hot 85+ extreme humid weather. We will have to revisit this topic when winter rolls in. Both cars rendered the same findings on the same OTS E30 tune.

The OP is just a neighbor I was helping out in my area as he was having problems with the Cobb OTS maps on his car that I helped resolve for him as I grew more accustom to the DME
    Glad to hear you're helping people out. This community needs more of that IMHO. And on the intake as I said I support the Mr5 intake. I'm not a fan of the AFE intake for reasons I've previously mentioned (it does not address the root issue when sealed, airflow in to the box), but since I have not extensively tested that particular model I can't say to what degree it might slow you down with the lid on. With the lid off it should function just like a DCI letting in as much air as the turbos need.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As my initial post, my data was focused on how hot/dense was the air the turbos were breathing, not how hot the charge air temperature was. Even though I understand that the most important one is charge air temperature.

To compare charge air temperature will be another deal and will need to isolate some factors.

There is no thought that with a closed CAI (any kine), you are going to get denser/cooler (50F) air to the turbos. Will this make a difference on performance? I'm sure it does, but I'm no expert and is not my intention to prove it. I'll take cooler air over hooter air any time.

My personal experience with it so far, my car loves it. After each run charge air temperature return to normal a lot quicker, were before it was almost impossible.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    I got a 10* temp reduction at max heatsoak by heat tape wrapping cold side FMIC pipe/charge pipe. Normal day to day no big deal but again... hot climates... stop and go traffic... the difference between dci and unwrapped charge pipe is extreme from where I ended up, Mr.5 and heat tape. Like 40* down low.

This could be completely missed by a 60-130 run.
    Wrapping charge pipe will be my next move.

Happy sharing.
    Cobb E30 / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    lots of circa 2008 discussion going on today.. its truly a "Throwback Thursday"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    On stock turbos, I trapped 119mph with the stock airbox with the OTS E30 map. That same day I borrowed a DCI and lost a couple of mph with the same setup and similar 60ft.

Stock box ftw!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    who consistently traps the highest on stock and rb turbos?

I have a spare stock box for anyone who wants it $99.99 shipped... I never got around to modifying this extra one and now Im so far into this car ill just modify my OG one if I ever get bored.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ...Who cares? Just appreciate the time the OP took to do a test.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what are the fastest N54s running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Filter attached directly to the turbo Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I want one of those
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm lazy so DCI it is. Plus I enjoy the sound.
    11.76 @ 124 (123.9) full weight e92 335i, street tires, no meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge

lol good one, very true
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've posted my super forced air ram system on n54tech a while back but here it is again.

Click here to enlarge
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That super forced air ram system is SWEET! How many horsepowers u getting from that thing; I would guess at least 120 or so right? What you really need to do is cut a big circle out of your hood so the fan will fit right up through it and be exposed directly to the outside ambient air; that's how you get cold air and should be worth another 50 HP or so!
    Really though, I'm getting ready to do Mr5 intake myself and will try to post some pics; I will be using a smaller 2.5" tube because of a smaller opening since I have a coupe with the bar brace down there in the way.....hopefully the smaller tube diameter won't cut down on the effectiveness too much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Zeel runs the dci and I run the same afe elite intake that BuraQ has. Our cars are nearly identical mod for mod (except he has 100% meth and I don't have any meth at all). When we run from a roll, we are dead even.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    No filter, crazy? no care.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    Zeel runs the dci and I run the same afe elite intake that BuraQ has. Our cars are nearly identical mod for mod (except he has 100% meth and I don't have any meth at all). When we run from a roll, we are dead even.
    @Stucks! i was looking into DOR and was considering the drive up but i go back to alaska nov 7 FML!
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mr. 5 Style intake is pretty cool, but it has couple of points that I personally do not like:

1. The second filter is down by the fender area, making it very difficult to perform maintenance on it
    2. The flexi-tube used causes A LOT of turbulence and drag.

Therefore I made this a while back:

http://199.192.200.202/DIY-N54-Hybrid-Intake.pdf

Vasil
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Mr. 5 Style intake is pretty cool, but it has couple of points that I personally do not like:

1. The second filter is down by the fender area, making it very difficult to perform maintenance on it
    2. The flexi-tube used causes A LOT of turbulence and drag.

Therefore I made this a while back:

http://199.192.200.202/DIY-N54-Hybrid-Intake.pdf

Vasil
    What do you mean when you say the flexi-tube causes a lot of turbulence and drag? You mean because the tube kind of snakes through the engine bay and has a lot of twists and turns? The way I see it is it's similar to breathing through your nose, if you plug one nostril with your finger and take a deep snort, you can get only so much air through the one nostril but if you pull your finger out mid snort, you get much more total air flow. (go ahead and try it, just don't let your girlfriend see you; or anyone else for that matter). The one thing that I always wondered about though and have never seen brought up is what if the secondary Mr5 air path somehow disrupts and blocks the flow of the main intake such that air coming in through the main intake was escaping out the Mr5 intake or maybe the Mr5 intake air is causing turbulence inside the airbox or disrupting the flow of the main intake; kind of like causing a traffic jam of air inside the airbox so to speak. In effect you would be losing incoming air volume. I don't know if that's even possible but was wondering if a one way valve placed in the Mr5 intake tube wouldn't be a bad idea. Kind of like a carburetor throttle plate that would close if air tried to go out backwards (back pressure) but would stay open for incoming air if you know what I mean...kind of like a flapper valve or something...
    Last edited by nikitino25; 10-19-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    What do you mean when you say the flexi-tube causes a lot of turbulence and drag? .
    1. The flexi tube is not smooth inside. This causes drag
    2. For every 90 degree bend, you loose air velocity as if you added approx. 1 extra foot of tubing. The smaller the diameter of the tube, the more profound this effect becomes.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    1. The flexi tube is not smooth inside. This causes drag
    2. For every 90 degree bend, you loose air velocity as if you added approx. 1 extra foot of tubing. The smaller the diameter of the tube, the more profound this effect becomes.
    Even if the ducting isnt optimal it still adds air, improving things. Its not like it lets less air in due to this.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Even if the ducting isnt optimal it still adds air, improving things. Its not like it lets less air in due to this.

True, but it is not optimal compared to smooth tubing used in Dinan intake or the Stett CAI
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I might test this DCI vs factory next time at the track.. Currently running DCI. Wondering how much cool down time would be needed?
    Instagram: mattyates85
    FB: Matt Yates

2013 335iS DCT, Alpine/Saddle

Only JB4/Flash, BMS DP's/DCI/Walbro inline

Best e/t: 11.57 @120 mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @bimmer305 did you have to leave your power steering reservoir unmounted like that to fit in the mr.5 piping ?
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    @bimmer305 did you have to leave your power steering reservoir unmounted like that to fit in the mr.5 piping ?
    I left it unmounted for a couple of days without a problem until I got some free time at work to make a support for it.

Click here to enlarge
    Cobb E30 / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bimmer305 Click here to enlarge
    I left it unmounted for a couple of days without a problem until I got some free time at work to make a support for it.
    Good stuff!
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12