Close

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Diagram showing VF-Engineering's S65 V8 supercharger manifold

    Thought this was interesting showing what the manifold looks like dissected:

    Click here to enlarge
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    I enjoyed it too, I've got one of those coming in next Wednesday Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I enjoyed it too, I've got one of those coming in next Wednesday Click here to enlarge
    I don't think we have anyone with VF. What made you choose them?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't think we have anyone with VF. What made you choose them?
    I bought it used with very low miles for less than half of its cost new. Deal was too good to pass up. Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I bought it used with very low miles for less than half of its cost new. Deal was too good to pass up. Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like it! Well let's see how you like it.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    56.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have the VF540 kit installed and will be upgrading soon to the 620. Enjoy it while the temps are cool!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SYZ Click here to enlarge
    I have the VF540 kit installed and will be upgrading soon to the 620. Enjoy it while the temps are cool!
    Ah we have two of you now! Click here to enlarge
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Tons of them for sale on the other forums.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    I don't really know what to say about their solution. I mean VAC shows it performs well as really any Vortech based system will but there isn't anything that differentiates it from everyone else.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't really know what to say about their solution. I mean VAC shows it performs well as really any Vortech based system will but there isn't anything that differentiates it from everyone else.

    Most wont tell the real story until they sell their kit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Well VF's history is checkered so to speak but everyone has had teething issues.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,426
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Most wont tell the real story until they sell their kit and switch to another.
    fixed for ya

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    fixed for ya
    I wouldn't be surprised if a high percentage of owners just give up on supercharging if they had a bad experience.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    56.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't be surprised if a high percentage of owners just give up on supercharging if they had a bad experience.
    It's already expensive to boost this car; can't imagine doing it twice with brand new kits.

    My VF experience has been okay. I've never had a problem with CEL or limp modes but I can certainly feel the car dumping fuel and pulling timing up top when conditions aren't ideal. It gives it a wavy powerband feel; not smooth at all. If it happens, its usually in 3rd- not ideal if you're trying to pull on someone. I will chalk it up to the non-intercooled design and conservative timing and fuel that must be programmed in a kit like that. I am upgrading to the intercooled version here shortly. I expect that issue will be resolved afterward as I have been told the intercooled version is a much "smoother" kit.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    I've actually gotten into contact with Garth at Underground Tuning, it looks like I may be able to get this thing tuned that way. Looking into all options at the moment.

    FWIW, supercharger kits are not hard. Hardware-wise these kits are nowhere near the asking price. And the only ways they're able to pull that off is A) BMW tax is just accepted in this community and B) The tuning market is 100% closed. If something as simple as a Cobb popped up, there'd be a dramatic shift. The whole community for all this super expensive hardware that literally costs 50% less when on the Coyote platform is supported on the tuning market being closed.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I've actually gotten into contact with Garth at Underground Tuning, it looks like I may be able to get this thing tuned that way. Looking into all options at the moment.

    FWIW, supercharger kits are not hard. Hardware-wise these kits are nowhere near the asking price. And the only ways they're able to pull that off is A) BMW tax is just accepted in this community and B) The tuning market is 100% closed. If something as simple as a Cobb popped up, there'd be a dramatic shift. The whole community for all this super expensive hardware that literally costs 50% less when on the Coyote platform is supported on the tuning market being closed.
    You're right. It's the freaking tuning codes to make it all work that are guarded like nuclear secrets. Those codes get out, profit is gone.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,426
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    i agree and disagree with all the points made here, but ill tell you one thing.. when you have a kit that exceeds your expectations, the hassle of changing, and price for a complete setup, is instantly forgotten when the car does what you were told it will do, everytime, and better than you thought

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    56.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i agree and disagree with all the points made here, but ill tell you one thing.. when you have a kit that exceeds your expectations, the hassle of changing, and price for a complete setup, is instantly forgotten when the car does what you were told it will do, everytime, and better than you thought
    If I had that kind of money, I'd be more inclined to do it. But so far, the VF kit has been good for me. I'm not 100% satisfied (thus the reason for upgrading), but not entirely disappointed either. I did reach out for an alternative tuning option at one point as I thought there could be some improvement upon the top end smoothness. Later, I emailed VF about it and they did respond to my complaint with a revised map (haven't bothered installing it), so they have been a good company with positive customer service in my eyes. I'll reserve my final opinion of the kit when I install the cooler upgrade I just ordered this morning.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    I already found out how the dme is being programmed and it's very cheap to do. It's the tables that are unknown. One leak is all it takes. The mss54 dme was cracked, there's no reason the mss60 can't be.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I already found out how the dme is being programmed and it's very cheap to do. It's the tables that are unknown. One leak is all it takes. The mss54 dme was cracked, there's no reason the mss60 can't be.
    It just requires a leak of the keys.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,426
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SYZ Click here to enlarge
    If I had that kind of money, I'd be more inclined to do it. But so far, the VF kit has been good for me. I'm not 100% satisfied (thus the reason for upgrading), but not entirely disappointed either. I did reach out for an alternative tuning option at one point as I thought there could be some improvement upon the top end smoothness. Later, I emailed VF about it and they did respond to my complaint with a revised map (haven't bothered installing it), so they have been a good company with positive customer service in my eyes. I'll reserve my final opinion of the kit when I install the cooler upgrade I just ordered this morning.
    Thats good,hope it all works out.

    but like i said, once its exceeding, its forgotten. im not saying its not pricey or annoying to switch, but it is what it is.. I know several people PM me on FB asking about what i sold my old kit for and how the new kit is etc etc... some people give up an nothing wrong with that, its just a car, but i love this car and its staying until i get a TTG, and then becomes the DD Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It just requires a leak of the keys.
    No keys that I can see. these units handle all the keys and checksums. It's the table locations for all the items to tune the s65. Fuel, timing, banks, etc. If you crack the mss60 tables, you crack the mss65 tables most likely.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,379
    Rep Points
    32,773.6
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    No keys that I can see. these units handle all the keys and checksums. It's the table locations for all the items to tune the s65. Fuel, timing, banks, etc. If you crack the mss60 tables, you crack the mss65 tables most likely.
    Ok...
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Most of these ECU flashers come with BDM JTAG setups, so I could do memory traces on a live car and see where the memory is being read. A lot of work Click here to enlarge It's too bad someone won't publish an XDF for the community :/

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •