Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Angry Nice bang at the strip

No leaks, no codes, no terrible noises, sounds like it might have a boost leak (hear some wooshing but that might be the intake)

Drove home fine.

Ran a 12.99 @ 110 the previous run on map2.

'08 135i 6MT
    JB4 G5 ISO / BMS PUMP backend flash
    AR dp
    BMS Intake
    CP-E CP w/ TiAL

Just jacked up the car now, and found nothing wrong, all couplers are tight and intact. (couldn't get to turbo ones to check but I'm assuming something would be obviously wrong if there was a problem there.

Log from the previous run:

http://datazap.me/u/p90puma/1299-110?1-4-18-23

Stupidly hit F2 to save this log and hit F1 again and lost the log on this run...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you check the charge pipe? I just saw you have the CP-E charge pipe, but it could have popped off.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep that could be the issue, charge pipe popping off happened to me a couple times
    BSM 340xi M-Sport
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    Yep that could be the issue, charge pipe popping off happened to me a couple times
    Charge pipe is on there solid, car seems fine now, but I have no clue what could have happened.

I could have sworn it was something under 15psi blowing off like an IC coupler or Charge pipe or something of the sort, but everything is tight and on there.

Pulled as hard (if not a bit harder) as an '07 E63 AMG just now based on 2 butt dyno's (not side by side)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Mystery solved?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This can happen if you power shift or shift really fast. Sometimes if you are pulling down on the shifter(preloading?) in anticipation of the shift and when you just start to push the clutch in while still at 100% WOT, it'll come out of gear right away. That noise you here is probably the engine/trans bottoming out on the mounts.

*PS* especially since from the sound of your video, you got off the line from a relatively low rpm and you had virtually no tire slip, so the drive train was under a lot of load. The second video sounds more like a misfire or something. Your video was definitely a mechanical jolt as it was enough to move your camera down.
    Last edited by maui86; 10-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maui86 Click here to enlarge
    This can happen if you power shift or shift really fast. Sometimes if you are pulling down on the shifter(preloading?) in anticipation of the shift and when you just start to push the clutch in while still at 100% WOT, it'll come out of gear right away. That noise you here is probably the engine/trans bottoming out on the mounts.

*PS* especially since from the sound of your video, you got off the line from a relatively low rpm and you had virtually no tire slip, so the drive train was under a lot of load. The second video sounds more like a misfire or something. Your video was definitely a mechanical jolt as it was enough to move your camera down.
    Also a good theory except as far as I know I was still at ~5k rpm and wasn't shifting yet.

Maybe the audio isn't great on my dashcam but I believe it sounded just like that 335i.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I don't want to sound pushy, but I chased this same problem for a month and if you have nothing popped off it could be this. Largely because the exact moment the bang happen your nose went straight down as if it went into neutral.

When it happens to me, i have my hand pulling down the shifter slightly to prepare for the shift to 2nd. It happened a few times even when my foot wasn't on the pedal around 6k rpm. Just not that often, but its possible. Our car popping out of gear under load without the clutch sounds exactly like your video. If you don't put pressure on the shifter at the strip while in gear, then, I'm at a loss of ideas.

The guy in the second video was having backfires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maui86 Click here to enlarge
    I don't want to sound pushy, but I chased this same problem for a month and if you have nothing popped off it could be this. Largely because the exact moment the bang happen your nose went straight down as if it went into neutral.

When it happens to me, i have my hand pulling down the shifter slightly to prepare for the shift to 2nd. It happened a few times even when my foot wasn't on the pedal around 6k rpm. Just not that often, but its possible. Our car popping out of gear under load without the clutch sounds exactly like your video. If you don't put pressure on the shifter at the strip while in gear, then, I'm at a loss of ideas.

The guy in the second video was having backfires.
    This is a great post, I will keep this in mind, thank you very much. I would rep you but you have to have at least 100 before I can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P90Puma Click here to enlarge
    heyy thats my car! Click here to enlarge

and you could've snapped a Diff bolt like @theghost
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge

I sent you a message on youtube, what was your fueling issue? HPFP , LPFP?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge

I don't have diff bolts, I'm welded, and I'm sure the diff would have grenaded by now if that was the case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P90Puma Click here to enlarge
    I don't have diff bolts, I'm welded, and I'm sure the diff would have grenaded by now if that was the case.
    no one blot holding the final drive in place, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838896

Also i was low on fuel had a kink in my walboro.. i was just having fun leaning out and backfiring everywhere haha...
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the rep and compliment. Hope you figure it out.

I figured I'd start being more vocal and less lurkishh. try and contribute type of thing haha.