Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

25% loss of power, but no codes.. where to start?

A bit of background - my N54 is being managed by the good folk over at PTF with a e-tune. I have catless dps, and aftermarket FMIC. All has been going well with the tune. However, with the latest iteration of the tune, it wasn't so agreeable with the car. So I was asked to change back to the last good map which I did, and then take some more logs.

First couple of logs looked as they should. However, as I continued my logs, they started looking pretty bad. I've attached a Virtual Dyno graph so you can all see what I mean with regards to the loss in power and torque. I should add that these runs were done about 30 seconds apart along the same stretch of road. Also, there were no codes thrown, nor CELs. All up I did about 10 runs along the same stretch of road.

So I'm wondering what's going on with my car? Could heatsoak cause this? Should I be looking at plugs/coils/injectors? I should also add that PTF has been awesome to work with and patiently attending to all my questions.

I'm struggling to decide where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

seems both were bad logs in terms of vdyno reading. log 3 clearly as wheelspin imho.
    u really should not focus on VDyno results. AT least always take 6-8 logs and see the average.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

We always have a few customers where we run into boost leaks, mechanical issues (not problems), etc during the tuning process. When pushing more power little things often begin to show themselves and we are always willing to help you find them - and if you are local we can take a look at the car in person.

Shoot me an email and we'll continue to look into this but if it felt okay before - and now the same map doesn't - its something little we just gotta find mechanically or maintenance based and we'll get you back on track Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@PTF Click here to enlarge
    We always have a few customers where we run into boost leaks, mechanical issues (not problems), etc during the tuning process. When pushing more power little things often begin to show themselves and we are always willing to help you find them - and if you are local we can take a look at the car in person.

Shoot me an email and we'll continue to look into this but if it felt okay before - and now the same map doesn't - its something little we just gotta find mechanically or maintenance based and we'll get you back on track Click here to enlarge
    +1 on this, boost connections, etc that seem fine at stock boost / tune levels will quickly show up as problem areas as you turn the car up. Have seen it multiple times tuning and as power increases so does the stress on these connections and parts. Give Jake a call and he can walk you through all the areas you should check out that could have a problem. Good Luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    seems both were bad logs in terms of vdyno reading. log 3 clearly as wheelspin imho.
    u really should not focus on VDyno results. AT least always take 6-8 logs and see the average.
    I see VDyno as a tool for tuning rather than an actual representation of hp/tq numbers. I find it useful to compare runs and tunes. That should be the extent of how Vdyno should be viewed, right? Although I know there are others who claim 95% accurate results.

Anyway, here is the first set of runs first time running the map:
    Click here to enlarge

And a few weeks later, same map, but with some different results:
    Click here to enlarge

So what gives the wheelspin away? Although I have to say I didn't feel any wheelspin at all in any of the runs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@PTF Click here to enlarge

Thanks Jake - as you know, have been in touch. Let me know when you get a chance to check them logs out Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    +1 on this, boost connections, etc that seem fine at stock boost / tune levels will quickly show up as problem areas as you turn the car up. Have seen it multiple times tuning and as power increases so does the stress on these connections and parts. Give Jake a call and he can walk you through all the areas you should check out that could have a problem. Good Luck.
    Thanks Tony. Totally get with the increased stress on parts etc with a tune. Just that without any codes or cels coming up, I just don't know where to start whether it be faulty plugs, coils or injectors. Considering even getting the carbon cleaned out with a walnut blast (currently at 62000km). Believe you me, I would be over at Jake's in a heartbeat - cept I'm halfway around the world to you guys Click here to enlarge