Close

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Smile Mod help for 2006 550i

    First of all it is great to be part of this forum! I have a 2006 550i with steptronic and want to get the most out of the V-8. The forum is so full of information and different opinions that iy is difficult to sort through. I am torn between the Dinan S1($$$) versus separate CAI/Sprint Boost?Chip/Exhaust but would lose out on the suspension upgrade. All input/opinions/thoughts are greatly appreciated. Great to be here!Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Spring Booster just affects throttle mapping. If you want a more sensitive throttle, you can use it in conjunction with anything really.

    Dinan is a lot of money for small gains really. You have several flash options right now. OE Tuning is a bit cheaper than Dinan and will have a more aggressive tune.

    There really isn't much available in terms of suspension anyway, basically springs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks for the thoughts. Some people have said a chip will hurt the engine but I find that hard to believe otherwise they would be out of business. I was initially interested in the Powerchip or ESS tuning, I found the discussion on them very enlightening. Wondered what the out come was. Had not heard of OE Tuning until this forum but sounds promising. Do they do the chip via mail? Exhausts are hard to choose among, primarily looking at RPI/Eisenmann/Remus. The Dinan CAI looks interesting possibly with the RPI Ram Scoop. Thanks for your guidance.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by teapac Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the thoughts. Some people have said a chip will hurt the engine but I find that hard to believe otherwise they would be out of business. I was initially interested in the Powerchip or ESS tuning, I found the discussion on them very enlightening. Wondered what the out come was. Had not heard of OE Tuning until this forum but sounds promising. Do they do the chip via mail? Exhausts are hard to choose among, primarily looking at RPI/Eisenmann/Remus. The Dinan CAI looks interesting possibly with the RPI Ram Scoop. Thanks for your guidance.
    Powerchip we no longer recommend, a lot of reading here:

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...porting-vendor

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ne-on-Mercedes

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-Loss-Again...

    OE Tuning is run by the tuner who used to work for Powerchip. They can do it through the mail for you if you desire, no problem.

    Exhausts are hard to choose, but the Eisenmann piece is currently the best out for the 550 IMO. The scoops are a nice little mod, I really enjoyed them. I also had the RPI exhaust and was happy with it but there were drone issues. I bought it for the value. You can't go wrong with either choice, I would say pick the one you think sounds the best.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Oh, and when you get a chance, would be great to see some pics of your car, you can post them in the 5 series section.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks . I figured that Powerchip did not present themselves favorably, glad I read the threads here! Will try to get some pictures this weekend. Is there a performance difference between the RPI and Eisenmann exhaust?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by teapac Click here to enlarge
    Thanks . I figured that Powerchip did not present themselves favorably, glad I read the threads here! Will try to get some pictures this weekend. Is there a performance difference between the RPI and Eisenmann exhaust?
    For just the rear section? Not really, but a full exhaust from the header back will make a big difference.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I have only seen the rear section exhausts. will look closer at their sights. I know Beast power carries both but am unable to get any reply from them after multiple attempts. Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Any thoughts on the Supersprint exhaust?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by teapac Click here to enlarge
    Any thoughts on the Supersprint exhaust?
    Quality piece, but I don't believe I have seen any dynos on it.

    What would really help you decide is to hear them, as they are all going to have similar power. Supersprint, Eisenmann, RPI, all quality. IND here is the Eisenmann North America distributor, might be worth talking to them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,302
    Rep Points
    2,757.3
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    welcome to the forum! Did you recently pick up this car or have you owned it since new?

    The first things that come to mind are the maintenance on those engines. They do have a history of drinking oil rapidly if they were abused and neglected with BMWs 15k per oil change. If its got over 40-50k on the engine i would switch it up to 5k intervals and make sure all the valve cover gaskets are fresh and not leaking..the PCV diaphragms on each bank used to fail and cause rough running issues.

    That and a fresh set of plugs will do it good. Other than that they are pretty solid engines..I drove a few with the 6MT and they were a hoot.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi Matt. Thanks for the input. I recently purchased this with about 70,000 miles. The previous owner kept it looking new. So I moved up from my 530i. Runs great. Has the usual rough start up and hesitancy at take off that I have been reading about. Hence I am looking to do some performance upgrades. Plan to do oil changes every 5-7K looking at Lubro-Moly/Redline/Motul/Renewable Lubrication 0W40. Thought about new spark plugs and possibly ignition coils.Many options but hard to determine best overall combinations. Thanks for the welcome.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    819
    Rep Points
    759.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Dinan is a lot of money for small gains really. You have several flash options right now. OE Tuning is a bit cheaper than Dinan and will have a more aggressive tune.
    .
    I find Dinan is not alot more than other tuners. But when you are modding an expensive beast, why cut corners. And speaking of cost, you should see what the European tuners charge.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I agree the total synergy of the system is critical. Through all my searching I have not noted anyone who has the Dinan setup having anything but great things to say. I am looking at the Dinan S1 package but am debating about substituting an Eisenmann exhaust for the Dinan exhaust. OE tuning chip is a possibility but the recent "chip wars" make me hesitant. The Dinan tune is not as aggressive but I also have not read anything negative. Thanks for your input.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by teapac Click here to enlarge
    First of all it is great to be part of this forum! I have a 2006 550i with steptronic and want to get the most out of the V-8. The forum is so full of information and different opinions that iy is difficult to sort through. I am torn between the Dinan S1($$$) versus separate CAI/Sprint Boost?Chip/Exhaust but would lose out on the suspension upgrade. All input/opinions/thoughts are greatly appreciated. Great to be here!Click here to enlarge
    If interested I would be happy to put together a quote for you. MHP can tune both the ecu and steptronic(tuning is done through oem processor/s, no need for added chips) if you would like. Then I would go with a good cai and straight pipe. I do not have a lot of info on suspension but could do some research on that as well. We can beat Dinan prices and MHP has 100% map access! Let me know if I can help you?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    I find Dinan is not alot more than other tuners. But when you are modding an expensive beast, why cut corners. And speaking of cost, you should see what the European tuners charge.
    I tend to find Dinan is considerably more than other tuners. I mean, $3k for a mild flash that basically just ups boost (talking about their recent products for the N63 as an example)? Come on. The major power tuners are not near this.

    I don't consider paying the "Dinan tax" cutting corners. They make great stuff, but compared to other US tuner's gains for the money they are expensive. Going with OE Tuning, Active, or MHP is not cutting corners. It is getting more for your money.

    The European tuners are out of their minds and don't have the competition or level of modding we do in the states it seems. Look at what someone like MTM or G-power charges for a supercharger. Just ridiculous yet people in Europe or in the Middle East pay it because they buy into the brand name.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Points
    11.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    If interested I would be happy to put together a quote for you. MHP can tune both the ecu and steptronic(tuning is done through oem processor/s, no need for added chips) if you would like. Then I would go with a good cai and straight pipe. I do not have a lot of info on suspension but could do some research on that as well. We can beat Dinan prices and MHP has 100% map access! Let me know if I can help you?
    Great! Thanks for your input. I went to your site but did not see any products for the 550i. CAI seem limited for the 550i, only the aFe and Dinan with people saying the aFe looses power. Live in TN so not many options other than dealer unless I head over to Atlanta. Interested in what you can do. Thanks.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Teapac pm your email adress.

    Thanks!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,302
    Rep Points
    2,757.3
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by teapac Click here to enlarge
    Great! Thanks for your input. I went to your site but did not see any products for the 550i. CAI seem limited for the 550i, only the aFe and Dinan with people saying the aFe looses power. Live in TN so not many options other than dealer unless I head over to Atlanta. Interested in what you can do. Thanks.

    Want to drive up to NY? I'll make you an exhaust system! hehehe

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,768
    Rep Points
    31,554.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Want to drive up to NY? I'll make you an exhaust system! hehehe
    This is a very interesting option...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,302
    Rep Points
    2,757.3
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    all stainless and V-band setup...shouldnt sound too bad...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Just fab one up from a donor car and ship it down? Now that's an idea!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •