Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

REVIEW: Evolve R Servotronic Mapping

First modification review Click here to enlarge

Background: I purchased my lightly used 2009 M3 for a great price back in January of this year. After driving around for months stock, I felt the car could use some improvement in power, steering, and a slightly clunky DCT system. The OEM steering, specifically, it too light for my taste, but improves significantly in feedback and weight in M-mode, but the Servotronic "M" programming lacks smoothness in it's assist, especially at lower speeds where it magically can become jerky with its assist for some reason Click here to enlarge

Decision: After a couple months of research, I decided to go with Evolve after hearing and reading positive reviews about them on the E9x and E46 M3 platforms. At the time, Evolve had an $899 special for their Evolve R E-flash tune, Servotronic remapping, and a GTS-DCT software. I was hesitant at first since I wanted to partake on a group buy with a tune + test pipes that was currently going on. After extensive conversations with Imran@Evolve via PM, he offered me a 10% discount on the package to compensate for the Evolve R tune + purchasing my own test pipes to equal the same amount as the other group buys going on (which will soon turn into a 15% discount thanks for Imran including me in on the most recent group buy price, thanks again! Click here to enlarge )

Servo specs:
    - I just wanted a very firm and direct on-center steering feel similar to the OEM "M" button so I don't have to press the "M" button every time I start the car.

The Installation: Once I ordered, I got my tracking information that very night, and the package arrived neatly packed 2 days later. I followed the easy to follow instructions to install the software and proceeded to read my OEM ECU program. This process was painless, as the interface is very user friendly. I sent my file to Evolve and the very next day, Sal emailed me a tune to try out (this review will come later as the final details of my specific tune is being worked on by Sal, I install my test pipes this Monday Oct. 14th, 2013, and I get on the dyno with my finalized settings). He then emailed me another tune to days later, on a Saturday no less ( Click here to enlarge ), that contained his latest settings and the "renowned" servo tune.

The Feedback: One word, AMAZING! On center feel and steering feedback from the tires & road is ever present, similar to the "M' mode in the OEM steering tune, but the smoothness in "gain" as a crank the wheel left or right as I enter a corner makes the steering response noticably more positive. Sal tuned the system so that at parking lot speeds, the steering wheel is lighter (I have underdrive pulleys so it was stiff as a rock before the tune at these speeds). As speed increases, it progressively gets heavier; at 30mph, the steering wheel is appropriately heavy, stable, and requires absolutely zero corrections as I sail down the road. The OEM mapping would occasionally require small corrections, unbecoming of a "sports" sedan. With the magic of Sal@Evolve, it gets heavier at speeds above 60mph vs. the OEM "M" mode, making the car extremely stable vs. before where I would often make small corrections on the highway unless I hit the "M" button. If I do hit the "M" button with the Evolve Servotronic mapping, it gets even heavier Click here to enlarge. Since I uploaded the Evolve Servotronic mapping, I haven't found the need to touch that little button, the steering wheel is just perfect, exactly custom tuned by Sal the way I love it.

Both Imran and Sal have been a pleasure to work with. Once I get the finalized settings from Sal on my stage 2 tune, and get my test pipes installed, I'll be scheduling a dyno session and give a review on the Evolve R E-flash. Oh, and the GTS-DCT tune as well
    Click here to enlarge

EVOLVE your car (<--Phrase from the Evolve team)
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Nice! People just dont understand what an Evolve (d) M3 is all about, You need to drive it... and if your like me, go and race it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I didn't even know about this. I might have to get it. I would love to improve the steering feel if possible.

Thanks for the review!
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Definately worth it! Steering feels weighty after 30mph, it locks onto the road and makes the car feel immensly stable where theres rarely any steering corrections needed on a windy day or over bumps. Road feedback has improve as well, manhole covers send vibrations through the rack more clear and solid. Steering assist feels natural and the gain is smoother vs. Using the M button on the OEM mapping.
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Hmmm might have to get this

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Hmmm might have to get this
    Do it, why not?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i need to do this.. i keep forgetting