Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Better tuning options

Why are there no tuning options like "efi live" for our 335d's? .. I come from the world of high performance diesel pick up trucks and just picked up a 2011 335d, these rail pressure boxes and boost foolers are so primitive. We need adjustability on injection timing and pulse width modulation. With more advanced tuning and emissions equipment removal these cars should be easy 11 second 1/4 mile machines. Maybe I'm asking too much but I have a couple dodge trucks that weigh over 8000 pounds that will smoke my BMW.. Anything on the horizon?

thanks guys, otherwise I love my new BMW, and proud to be on bimmer boost

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

im with you. But its not easy or lets say not common.
    There are tools out there but information and support are nonexistent. (they offer obviously support for money to teach tuners how to use them on different cars/ecus).
    Downloading the ecu software is the easiest step. After that you have to identify the data parts in the binary file and edit them.

There are some who sell maps to identify what part of the file is which curve. Than you need a software that "displays" the data in a human readable form.
    Winols for example.
    http://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/software/

as said the software want help you that much if you have no clue where the date is in the file. So you will have to purchase a map siuted for the 335d and hope the one who did the map was right....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any reliable sources of map builders for BMW diesels in the states? Looks like I've got some learning to do otherwise... I've mastered mechanical diesel performance and automatic transmissions to hold the torque.. I've also worked for cummins and Detroit diesel.. When my warranty is up I plan on giving my 335d the full treatment.. For now I need to do research and develop some contacts for assistance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_JBD_...ance_chip.html It's a start at least for more performance if that is what you want...
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

@evolve does flash retuning for the 335d -- http://www.evolveautomotive.com/e9x-.../335d-286_735/

Here's the short notes on it:
    Overview:

- 340-350 bhp @ 4000rpm
    - 50 bhp extra through rpm range
    - 86 lb.ft torque @ 2500rpm
    - 80-86 lb.ft torque extra through rpm range
    - 13.2 sec 1/4 mile
    - 10-15% fuel econmoy improvement
    - Factory drivability with more power everywhere
    - Smooth and progressive power delivery
    - Dyno and road developed
    - Free updates due to dealer overwrite
    - Optional 730 Nm map available at no extra cost
    They have phenomenal customer service so if you could get the car on a dyno, I wouldn't be surprised if you worked out a time with them that they'd remote tune the car for you too
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys... Torgus, that jbd tuner just messes with rail pressure, thanks tho. Benzy89, that evolve remote tune looks like something I'm interested in.. Haven't seen that yet...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

RENNtech, thats what I have we dynoed 230 on the wheels, after RENtech flash I clocked 300 whp!!! Its expensive though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Puerto Rican 335d.. I've seen you on the bimmer forums, I feel like I know you already haha...I've read through lots of stuff... Hopefully when my warranty runs out there will be more options for me... I don't know if you guys have payed attention to the diesel pickup truck aftermarket but it's out of control, my daily driver is a 96 dodge cummins 2500 with a flatbed and toolboxes.. Just your average 716 rwhp rig..I might contact some good duramax and cummins tuners, see what they think about the 335d...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Jaja don't worry I'm seeking the same u are get rid of the dpf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dpf is a scam... I was at cummins when they were introduced in 07... I plan on ditching it when it fails

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    @evolve does flash retuning for the 335d -- http://www.evolveautomotive.com/e9x-.../335d-286_735/

Here's the short notes on it:

They have phenomenal customer service so if you could get the car on a dyno, I wouldn't be surprised if you worked out a time with them that they'd remote tune the car for you too
    Does anyone in the states have the Evolve file? What concerns me is the reference to "286 bhp stock".
    2008 135 GIAC Stage II Race File
    2011 335d Stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I noticed that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried calling the u.s. Branch of evolve several times today with no answer...I also noticed the 335d is not an option on the u.s. evolve website...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers Click here to enlarge
    I tried calling the u.s. Branch of evolve several times today with no answer...I also noticed the 335d is not an option on the u.s. evolve website...
    bcuz government shut down
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Any reliable sources of map builders for BMW diesels in the states? Looks like I've got some learning to do otherwise... I've mastered mechanical diesel performance and automatic transmissions to hold the torque.. I've also worked for cummins and Detroit diesel.. When my warranty is up I plan on giving my 335d the full treatment.. For now I need to do research and develop some contacts for assistance
    Not really the problem is the limited potential monetary gains looks like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

@evolve @Imran@Evolve

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

They is a borad member by the name of oldsankey i beleive here or other forums and he has the DPF deleted and mapped by jrautoelectornics in canada, I sent them an email and no response as of yet that was over a week ago

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

@TTFS will have my 2011 x5d ECU (07/2011) shortly.

Frank has already turned my S54 into a torquey beast. I'd like to see what he can do with the wife's diesel kid hauler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

@MisterEm you dyno'ing it or getting baseline numbers? It would be helpful for promoting the tune and TTFS. Hard data helps sales.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Flashtunes are available from Evolve and Renntech. The 35d ECU is not cracked, so you will have to mail your ECU out for a benchflash. Unfortunately, even in the case of cracked ECUs, there is no "home tuning" option that I'm aware of...

There are some other piggybacks that allow you to control more options, but they do modify signals externally as you point out. One thing I would highlight is that this ECU has an absurd amount of protections and checks on it, so it will do a good job of letting you know via DTC if you have pushed things a bit too far.

Why is DPF a scam? I think it's a pain in the ass long-term, but seems to be proven in terms of emissions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @MisterEm you dyno'ing it or getting baseline numbers? It would be helpful for promoting the tune and TTFS. Hard data helps sales.
    My baselines were completed in 2007. We are way beyond that. I have every dyno file and calibration in my BMW GT1 laptop. When Frank is happy with this tune on the stock head - I will post a review on his tune and customer service. Not at all interested in a vendor pissing match.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Flashtunes are available from Evolve and Renntech. The 35d ECU is not cracked, so you will have to mail your ECU out for a benchflash. Unfortunately, even in the case of cracked ECUs, there is no "home tuning" option that I'm aware of...

There are some other piggybacks that allow you to control more options, but they do modify signals externally as you point out. One thing I would highlight is that this ECU has an absurd amount of protections and checks on it, so it will do a good job of letting you know via DTC if you have pushed things a bit too far.

Why is DPF a scam? I think it's a pain in the ass long-term, but seems to be proven in terms of emissions.
    Great to know and thank you for sharing. Should be fun digging out the ECU from under the intake plenum for Frank to flash it....
    Last edited by MisterEm; 04-09-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: doubled my posting pleasure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    My baselines were completed in 2007. We are way beyond that. I have every dyno file and calibration in my BMW GT1 laptop. When Frank is happy with this tune on the stock head - I will post a review on his tune and customer service. Not at all interested in a vendor pissing match.
    But you do have the baselines? So we're good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

But you do have the baselines? So we're good.
    You threw a couple of them on your front page 2+ years ago for this forum.... but you apparently forgot.

You sure make it inviting for an end-user to contribute to your forum. Can't wait to write up the ported head + 288/280cams gains, or the LCI X5 diesel gains for your critique!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

You threw a couple of them on your front page 2+ years ago for this forum.... but you apparently forgot.
    I'm sorry I didn't remember all 3000+ articles Click here to enlarge

You sure make it inviting for an end-user to contribute to your forum. Can't wait to write up the ported head + 288/280cams gains, or the LCI X5 diesel gains for your critique!
    Not sure if serious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I'm sorry I didn't remember all 3000+ articles Click here to enlarge
    Fair enough, Joseph.

Did you miss this one?

When Frank is happy with this tune on the stock head - I will post a review on his tune and customer service. Not at all interested in a vendor pissing match.
    The bolded part is why no baseline data was posted nor will be here.

I prefer modifying cars over vendor affiliations. Folks get real touchy with switching vendors and data reviews.

I prefer to stick to the cars and the data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast