Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My N54 Build

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

My N54 Build

Okay so I have been running FBO with stock turbos for a while, car ran great but recently something went wrong doing the end of a burn out before a race. Engine wont crank. I am pulling the motor out to see what kind of damage was done I did not hear a bang or boom it was more of a quiet shut off and no power no crank. So now the fun begins, I have been ripping everything out of the engine bay and the engine and tranny are coming out tomorrow.(hopefully the block is still usable). Going to just build the motor for 1000hp and go single turbo. My question is what are my options as for forged pistons rods etc? I am doing this all myself with the help of a couple buddies of mine. I have a buddy who is going to build a manifold for my single. Just need some pointers on how I should have him make it.

Here is what the car looks like now.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Hot color + Good luck!
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    VAC has carillo rods and CP pistons.. also an oil pan baffle that's a good idea if you're going to track it.

Alex@ABR has the latest stuff.. custom rods with thicker bearings (need crank machined to suit), that in theory will be even tougher than any other option atm.. JE or wiseco pistons.... the above much cheaper than the CP+Carillo combo... APR head studs and APR main studs - only place to buy them and obviously a good idea. - as you can see in that thread Click here to enlarge

and just for that extra insurance.. a few people here have put in some custom block guard things in between cylinder wall and block in between where 2 cylinders meet at the top - who knows if neccessary, but can't hurt? NFI how much they'd cost, can't be too insane? lol

ED: Tons of custom single threads have popped up in the last few months.. easiest to make and install would probably be a top mount setup iif you don't mind the 'BAM, TURBO' look, which you can find tips on in other threads.. AFAIK, 535D (or something) coolant tank that sits on the opposite side + vac can delete due to traditional wastegate = tons of room for a big single... though you say 1000hp? NFI if you could fit a 1000hp turbo there... can't hurt to measure though Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Are there any AT to MT swap threads anywhere? I am also looking into swapping to a MT. Also for the turbo looking at picking up a GTX4294R. too much?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Are there any AT to MT swap threads anywhere? I am also looking into swapping to a MT. Also for the turbo looking at picking up a GTX4294R. too much?
    I was thinking of that or the 6766. I'm not too sure which one I'll be doing yet. You should hit up Charles at pureturbos for that GTX. He can get one for cheap brand new... I was quoted 1500 for a gtx35r retail ws 2500 LOL
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

If you're gonna build the motor & aim for that 1,000 HP number I'd recommend obviously getting better flowing heads & high rev springs so you can add on some RPMs.... Last thing you want is a 1,000 WHP car that's laggy as $#@! and only give ~500 RPMs of fun
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm not sure where you're going to get fuel to support 1k whp.

re: 6AT to 6MT conversion, better off buying a 6MT car. Nobodys posted a successful guide on doing it yet.

I think your choice of turbo might be a bit big for my liking, unless you plan on winding it out to 9k rpm.

It is all unexplored territory at this point. Figuring out what works and what doesn't will be done on your dime.

Drop 3k+ on valvetrain upgrades, then discover the ECU won't let you rev past 8.2k? Too bad.

Something goes sideways with VANOS at high rpm and you introduce your pistons to your valves? Too bad.

Run out of injector/hpfp past 6k rpm and can't make any more power on your GTX42? Too bad.

Transmission decides it hates life and you shear the teeth off at 800whp? Too bad.

Honestly if 1k whp is some magical number you want to hit, I wouldn't be doing it with an n54 at this point in time.

Also, considering you are only RWD, getting all that power to hook up is going to be a challenge, unless you plan on flaring out your fenders big time, or running slicks on the street.

I'd set your goals on something realistic, like 700-750 whp, go with a GTX35R turbo, and you'd still have a fair amount of torque in the mid range, and it would be a fun car to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

There have been 6mt conversions plenty just nobody has posted them. I remember a thread a few years ago from a 535I auto to manual conversion, not many details as a shop did it (east coast?), but anyway it's just a bunch of parts and some coding really. It's not easy, but nor is a custom single kit. If he's attempting that I'm sure he could figure out the conversion, it's just not roadmapped for him yet. Good chance for a useful DIY IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

He said he wants the motor to be 1000hp capable. I'm assuming OP is hoping fuel issues will be sorted out at some point where his block will be ready to accept the power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sounds like a good time to me. Nothing wrond with a block that you KNOW can handle more than you're going to throw at it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Is your car plasti-dipped lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

contact whatever company you would like to use and ask them for the part. if they don't have it already they will probably ask for you to send the stock one to them so they can get some specs down and then will send you the finished product. Ive already down the following pistons, rods, head, valves and pretty everything else in the valve-train except the camshafts. also had to rebore the block for the new pistons, polished the shaft to fit the new rods and i bought all new gaskets, bolts, oil pump, etc. a warning! its a lot of $#@! and gets really expensive

if i was you i would probably just swap in another motor and maybe do some head work
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I like that people are really starting to get serious!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I like that people are really starting to get serious!
    What your car did at shift s3ctor really had me thinking. Why just do what everyone else is doing. Start exploring !!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Motor and Transmission are officially out. Click here to enlarge

Here are some pictures. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Sticky how can i edit the title to my thread and my original post? It says i have to ask the admin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Honestly thinking about just throwing in a built S85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I've been waiting for a thread like this for a while. Subd for updates!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

piss off both sides and throw a gintani TT S65 in there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    piss off both sides and throw a gintani TT S65 in there Click here to enlarge
    Now that's an idea!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I had a S65 in my E92 M3 loved it but if i swap i would love to try out the V10! I can just imagine that V10 in this car. I got the weight down to 3300lbs just before the car messed up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

What would one need to do a direct swap with the S85? Engine, transmission, ECU ?? I am really looking into that or just put a big ass turbo on the N54. But a TT S85 would be lovely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    If you're gonna build the motor & aim for that 1,000 HP number I'd recommend obviously getting better flowing heads & high rev springs so you can add on some RPMs.... Last thing you want is a 1,000 WHP car that's laggy as $#@! and only give ~500 RPMs of fun
    and if you want 1000hp at >7000rpm, you don't need as much torque, and torque breaks things!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    contact whatever company you would like to use and ask them for the part. if they don't have it already they will probably ask for you to send the stock one to them so they can get some specs down and then will send you the finished product. Ive already down the following pistons, rods, head, valves and pretty everything else in the valve-train except the camshafts. also had to rebore the block for the new pistons, polished the shaft to fit the new rods and i bought all new gaskets, bolts, oil pump, etc. a warning! its a lot of $#@! and gets really expensive
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge

if i was you i would probably just swap in another motor and maybe do some head work

wait.. you've done that to your N54?... where's your build thread?.. i had no idea anyone else had already gone that far!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure where you're going to get fuel to support 1k whp.

re: 6AT to 6MT conversion, better off buying a 6MT car. Nobodys posted a successful guide on doing it yet.

I think your choice of turbo might be a bit big for my liking, unless you plan on winding it out to 9k rpm.

It is all unexplored territory at this point. Figuring out what works and what doesn't will be done on your dime.

Drop 3k+ on valvetrain upgrades, then discover the ECU won't let you rev past 8.2k? Too bad.

Something goes sideways with VANOS at high rpm and you introduce your pistons to your valves? Too bad.

Run out of injector/hpfp past 6k rpm and can't make any more power on your GTX42? Too bad.

Transmission decides it hates life and you shear the teeth off at 800whp? Too bad.

Honestly if 1k whp is some magical number you want to hit, I wouldn't be doing it with an n54 at this point in time.

Also, considering you are only RWD, getting all that power to hook up is going to be a challenge, unless you plan on flaring out your fenders big time, or running slicks on the street.

I'd set your goals on something realistic, like 700-750 whp, go with a GTX35R turbo, and you'd still have a fair amount of torque in the mid range, and it would be a fun car to drive.
    AT>MT isn't really any different to any other car... remove 6AT, get 6MT pedal box, pedal, shift linkage, trim.. clutch master cylinder etc. etc... you know, everthing that's different

new flywheel+clutch, bolt it up, link it all up, turn off 6AT in ECU

in saying that, it's going to be VERY expensive for all of the above (2-3k easy?), let alone how much effort it is.

even at 7k RPM, there should be a good 3k or so usable on the N54 with a 4294 i'd think? i mean... not optimal, but not terrible.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    What would one need to do a direct swap with the S85? Engine, transmission, ECU ?? I am really looking into that or just put a big ass turbo on the N54. But a TT S85 would be lovely.
    front subframe, probably radiator, AC lines (if you wanted), all that misc stuff... people have done it before, so i'd assume it's a lot like my N54 swap, but more expensive lol ($15-$20k odd unless you got a SWEET deal)

ED: oh S85 not S65.. yeah transmission would be a big hurdle (S65 swap would be cheaper just to get an m3 lol)... nfi if the engine mounts are the same, so possibly that too.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 10-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    boop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast