Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Looking for N54 CAD drawings

So seeing everyone putting together their own single turbo kits kind of makes me want to build a turbo kit of my own design for the N54, but since I'm in college i have no money or time to pick up my own 335i to experiment with. Therefore, I want to try and design a turbo setup as a 3D model since I can not actually make one, that way I can see if my idea works and possibly use it or share it in the future. So that brings me to my question, does anybody know where I would be able to find 3D drawings of the N54 and turbo chargers? I use PTC Creo in school but I don't mind learning another program such as solidworks if someone has drawings designed in that, especially since that's more popular. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the only people who have them are shops who probably are not willing to share them for obvious reasons, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I did quite a bit of searching last year and came up with pretty much nothing. I created some N54 exhaust flange drawings for my single kit, and built some of the kit in solidworks just for fun. Other than that I haven't seen any CAD drawings out there.

CAD drawings of the head flanges are here: http://roycormier.net/cad-downloads/

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, that's definitely a start. I could probably work off of the flanges alone, but i really need to see if I can find drawings of the turbos, or at least the turbine section, because they are the biggest space restriction in my idea. Maybe I can find files of similarly sized turbos and just fit them in there to work off of.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Grabcad.com has quite a few turbocharger models.
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Roy, Is the cad file you uploaded the same one you used for your build? After a brief look in cad, it seems the spacing for the bolts is uneven. From the top left, to the second on the top row is 3.57, while the last hole on the top right to the next one in is 3.58.

I am going to remodel it in creo as I am more familiar with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CannonFodder Click here to enlarge
    Roy, Is the cad file you uploaded the same one you used for your build? After a brief look in cad, it seems the spacing for the bolts is uneven. From the top left, to the second on the top row is 3.57, while the last hole on the top right to the next one in is 3.58.

I am going to remodel it in creo as I am more familiar with it.
    Yes, thats the exact file I used to laser-cut the flanges.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been looking for the envelope drawings for a year or so. I've seen them for other cars, but STEP files for German cars seem harder to come by.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay, If anyone wants the creo file let me know. I designed this using the measurements that Roy provided, however included the lower bolt holes like the one the rb guys are selling. If I can get access to the 3D printer at my university I will make a prototype.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CannonFodder Click here to enlarge
    Okay, If anyone wants the creo file let me know. I designed this using the measurements that Roy provided, however included the lower bolt holes like the one the rb guys are selling. If I can get access to the 3D printer at my university I will make a prototype.
    I would love to get a copy of that if you wouldnt mind as im finally starting to figure creo out after using autocad for 2 years. Have you done any kind of header modeling or anything like that in creo and do you find it relatively straight forward?