Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question Weird stalling issue happened today.......

Today I was in my car waiting in line at a fast food restaurant. There were 7-8 cars in front of me. When I begin to move forward as each car in front of me did something weird followed:

Each time I would give it a little gas to move forward about 10 feet, my car would start surging as soon as I got off the gas and started to apply the brakes. Best way to describe the surging is it dropped all the way down to 100-200 rpm's and then shot up to 1800-2000 rpms a couple times and then surged between 500-1200 until I moved forward again.

When I attempted to move forward again, it did the exact same thing but this time the engine stalled as soon as I applied the brakes from the slow the crawl forward.

The car did this another 4-5 times until I got my order at the window.

During this entire ordeal, it never threw a single SES, CEL, Half Engine, NOTHING.

Once I exited the drive through, I pulled in to the parking and plugged in my BT OBD-II. Checked for any codes and none were present. I'm aware OBD-II smart phone apps aren't 100% accurate, so there very well may be some shadow or PENDING codes stored in the DME.

I called my SA and explained to him what my car just did and he told me to bring it in and he would give me a loaner until they could get it diagnosed.

During my 45 minute drive to the dealer in a lot of stop and go traffic, the car didn't have a single hiccup the entire way. Drove perfect as it has the day I brought it home.

Only other thing worth mentioning is that I filled up my tank 2 minutes prior to entering the drive through.

Does the weird surging/stalling issue sound like an isolated hardware fault or something different? I've searched pretty deep today prior to posting this and couldn't find anything that matched my exact issues. I've read multiple threads on IAC valves and throttle actuators causing surging but have yet to read about them causing a car to stall.

Also if the dealer comes back with the infamous "Unable to reproduce reported problem", what should I do if anything can be done??

I've owned this car for about a month and its been a VERY solid car thus far and a blast to drive.

Sorry for the long post, just want it to be as understandable as possible.

-Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My guess is it had to do with that tank of gas. I experienced this in a Z3 just after filling up one time. never went to that gas station again and it never happened again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    My guess is it had to do with that tank of gas. I experienced this in a Z3 just after filling up one time. never went to that gas station again and it never happened again.
    When you say "that" tank of gas. Do mean the tank that I was at the end of prior to filling up or the tank that was just filled? Seems odd that the behavior didn't continue for the rest of the driving I did today...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Might also help to add that I always fill up gas from the same station on post and its 92oct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The particular batch of fuel still could have been off slightly. The computer may have needed to adjust for its characteristics. Someone with more expertise will have to chime in for this one unfortunately. The symptoms sounded very familiar however which is why I gave my .02

an M52 is no S65 though.
    @Flinchy @Sticky @Andrew@activeautowerkes @Mike@VAC

Hopefully one of them has a better answer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I do not have the answer but hopefully one of them does.

This is an M52? What motor is this?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I do not have the answer but hopefully one of them does.

This is an M52? What motor is this?
    Well it's in the S65 section....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well it's in the S65 section....
    That is a large hint just seeing which engine expert we need.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The particular batch of fuel still could have been off slightly. The computer may have needed to adjust for its characteristics. Someone with more expertise will have to chime in for this one unfortunately. The symptoms sounded very familiar however which is why I gave my .02

an M52 is no S65 though.
    @Flinchy @Sticky @Andrew@activeautowerkes @Mike@VAC

Hopefully one of them has a better answer
    I'm not sure why i was mentioned Click here to enlarge.. got excited for a minute!

I'd go with the bad batch or small amount of bad fuel, and just hope it doesn't happen again and don't worry if so lol.

only other time i've had RPM surging like that was bad EGR and O2's on an older car, but it wouldn't hold stable idle in general (<500RPM - 1500/2000RPM and repeat), until the EGR closed or it got the right throttle application (as far as i could tell).. i know nothing about the S65 though lol.

.. 2 mentions down, 2 to go!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    auto or manual trans?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all the replys thus far. I didnt realize I left out so much important info, lol.

My car is a 2010 e92 M3. DCT only performance mod I have, if you can count it as one would be the GTS TCU flash. 20K miles

Just got the car back from the dealer. I got the infamous "unable to duplicate reported issues". It is running normally as it did on the drive down to the dealer.

One of my co-workers called me as I was at the dealer waiting to take delivery of my car. He asked me where I filled my tank up at. I told him where and he informed that he filled up his tank at the same place as I did and now his car(audi TT) is idling and surging some. He stated that his car has never acted this way also.

Once I heard this from him I pretty much knew the gas station on post must have just received a bad batch. While I was at the dealer I picked up a bottle of the BMW fuel treatment and added half the bottle to my full tank.

Once again. Thanks for help. This forum rocks!!!!Click here to enlarge

-Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have the newest BMW DCT software?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not sure to be honest. I was under the impression that the GTS Flash superceded the factory tranny software. Since you are asking what tranny software I have, I would assume that the GTS Flash is ONLY a patch file and not a complete file??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have no idea but I'd check with the dealer to see if you have the latest version of the factory DCT software.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The one time i had this issue similar to yours it was my low pressure fuel Pump but it threw a code i believe.
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e46m3to335i Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for all the replys thus far. I didnt realize I left out so much important info, lol.

My car is a 2010 e92 M3. DCT only performance mod I have, if you can count it as one would be the GTS TCU flash. 20K miles

Just got the car back from the dealer. I got the infamous "unable to duplicate reported issues". It is running normally as it did on the drive down to the dealer.

One of my co-workers called me as I was at the dealer waiting to take delivery of my car. He asked me where I filled my tank up at. I told him where and he informed that he filled up his tank at the same place as I did and now his car(audi TT) is idling and surging some. He stated that his car has never acted this way also.

Once I heard this from him I pretty much knew the gas station on post must have just received a bad batch. While I was at the dealer I picked up a bottle of the BMW fuel treatment and added half the bottle to my full tank.

Once again. Thanks for help. This forum rocks!!!!Click here to enlarge

-Nick
    I believe you have found your culprit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Agreed.

Car hasn't had a single hiccup since after that fill up. Added a pint or what ever of the BMW fuel supplement with Techron and all has been well.

Wont be filling up on post ever again. Been here 2 years and have never had a issue with the station before. Sucks because on post gas is usually about .20 cents cheaper per gallon compared to off post.

-Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e46m3to335i Click here to enlarge
    Agreed.

Car hasn't had a single hiccup since after that fill up. Added a pint or what ever of the BMW fuel supplement with Techron and all has been well.

Wont be filling up on post ever again. Been here 2 years and have never had a issue with the station before. Sucks because on post gas is usually about .20 cents cheaper per gallon compared to off post.

-Nick
    That cost saving comes from somewhere. Unfortunately it looks like they cut down on quality control a bit too much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad you figured it out that was so simply not sure why it was not thought of earlier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah. Believe it or not I've owned dozens of sports cars over the years and I have NEVER experienced a bad tank of gas before. I now know how a bad tank of gas can affect a car. Guess I've just been lucky all these years, lol.
    Last edited by e46m3to335i; 10-14-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Im a re re

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Glad you figured it out that was so simply not sure why it was not thought of earlier.
    It was lol. look at the first post in this thread...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was lol. look at the first post in this thread...
    Duh, you nailed it. Repped.