Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I run a spec Stage 2+ with steel SMFW and have no complaints... lots of grip and still easy to drive.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurbo: Not sure why you are so irritated with the sub 5k cost of Ray's single turbo cost. Comes off as a little weird.

Roy:
    I'm running the CM dual disk setup, it's glorious and support high numbers. That being said it's egregiously expensive, loud + chattery and the engagement takes a lot of getting used to.
    Not irritated in the slightest, just like to keep things realistic, telling people they can build a kit for that price is not realistic. If you guys can build a kit for $1100 bucks. $#@! more power to ya. Enjoy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If you guys can build a kit for $1100 bucks. $#@! more power to ya. Enjoy
    I can add a zero to that at least all told to where I'm at now Click here to enlarge but I'm happy as a clam #yeababy #6ATrecord #NBD
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurbo: Not sure why you are so irritated with the sub 5k cost of Ray's single turbo cost. Comes off as a little weird.
    Agreed. A little too defensive. If you can do it labor free for cheap, why not. Yes, at some point kits will be $2500 including turbo like Supras and what not, but it'll be years and there is plenty of time for good companies to make some good money.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd say spec 3+ hands down. My only comment is that you do actually have to use the clutch though. I use the car to commute every day so the clutch doesn't get used all the time and it will chatter and even slip if you don't launch it a couple times a month. I think it gets some glaze or something on it. When you drop it a couple times though it does come back to life though. Very good clutch.

For those of you that have the 3+, how do you feel about 2nd gear launches? I don't go to the strip pretty much ever, but I get to the backgrounds to fool around every couple weeks. I feel that launching in 2nd has given me better results than 1st, but maybe I'm crazy. The 1 - 2 shift is bad and I think the traction is better in 2nd. With the 2TSEP its not too hard to be consistent either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    For those of you that have the 3+, how do you feel about 2nd gear launches?
    I thought I remembered reading something over on the other forum saying that 2nd gear launches on the 6spd would likely grenade some parts? I can't remember who it was or how credible that information was though. Not having that 1-2 shift would definitely save some time.

My clutch is completely dead now until I can get a new one in on Tuesday. It was bad enough that I could actually put the car in gear and it wouldn't move at all, I ended up pushing it about 2 blocks back to my house and had to take the truck to work.

Click here to enlarge
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL ouch. Looks like a good time was had with it though haha.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roy Cormier Click here to enlarge
    I thought I remembered reading something over on the other forum saying that 2nd gear launches on the 6spd would likely grenade some parts? I can't remember who it was or how credible that information was though. Not having that 1-2 shift would definitely save some time.

My clutch is completely dead now until I can get a new one in on Tuesday. It was bad enough that I could actually put the car in gear and it wouldn't move at all, I ended up pushing it about 2 blocks back to my house and had to take the truck to work.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...797604_o-1.jpg
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    spec 3+ & smfw ftw. You get used to it quick, chatter honestly isn't that bad at all, clutch is a little bit heavier but I was expecting much worse.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the consensus is or is not Spec? What other choices are there?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how about the other Clutch Masters clutches? Like the FX400, etc? I had the full face segmented FX400 (not sure if this style is available for the N54) in my old Evo X and it was great. Similar to the Spec 3+ in design, but most who got to drive the two preferred the FX400. The FX300 should be a good option too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So the consensus is or is not Spec? What other choices are there?
    I think it is the most proven aftermarket clutch holding high HP on the N54.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I think it is the most proven aftermarket clutch holding high HP on the N54.
    Well ok then.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the Spec Stage 3+ with Steel SMFW. I really dislike it as all of the engagement is at the top of the pedal. It seems to hold my FBO+Meth setup fwiw, and grabs well. There is chatter and other noises from it.

I really like my OS Giken twin plate TR2CD on my STi. Engagement is perfect, only rattles when you engage the clutch (duh) grips insanely hard, and the revs fall perfectly for hard shifting.

If OS Giken has an n54 twin plate, buy that. Otherwise spec stage 3/3+. It seems to be the least crappy contender.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think I saw somewhere that someone used a Sachs 4 Puck that surprisingly felt relatively stock.

AHH here it is

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753877

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My Spec 3+ has gone slippery and I can only sometimes bring it back to holding now. I think the material, is good, but they have a bearing height issue. I got the first unit with steel SMF and will work it out with them. A bit frustrating, but I still feel I made the right choice of clutch in comparison to the other options. I think this clutch has very good material that can do the full 700hp or whatever its rated to, I just think it wasn't adjusting properly. Wont know till I see it... Never burnt the disc, never drag raced, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My Spec 3+ has gone slippery and I can only sometimes bring it back to holding now. I think the material, is good, but they have a bearing height issue. I got the first unit with steel SMF and will work it out with them. A bit frustrating, but I still feel I made the right choice of clutch in comparison to the other options. I think this clutch has very good material that can do the full 700hp or whatever its rated to, I just think it wasn't adjusting properly. Wont know till I see it... Never burnt the disc, never drag raced, etc.
    I also believe that there is an issue with the height of the throw-out bearing. Even at it's low setting, the clutch engages/ releases toward the top of the pedal's travel. Once there is a bit of wear, it may no longer engage fully and slip.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    Just curious, did you even consider the twin disk stuff like the clutchmasters 850?
    Here is mine. Love it!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Speaking of CM850s, @uniter a while back said this (can't get the reply with quote to function tonight for some reason): "I'm running the CM dual disk setup, it's glorious and support high numbers. That being said it's egregiously expensive, loud + chattery and the engagement takes a lot of getting used to. " So what was meant by "the engagement takes a lot of getting used to"?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "I'm running the CM dual disk setup, it's glorious and support high numbers. That being said it's egregiously expensive, loud + chattery and the engagement takes a lot of getting used to. " So what was meant by "the engagement takes a lot of getting used to"?
    Probably that it is a $#@! to drive, supper grabby, hard to engage smoothly, etc.

Just being expensive and super chatty turns me off.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're launching hard (2-step, full boost) with AWD or slicks you can't be too picky about the little things, at least if you want your clutches to last more than 50 passes or so. My favorite clutch so far was an unsprung hub ACT race disk with the 2600lb pressure plate for the 4g63. People thought it was too racy, but it was perfect if you were serious. I just wanted to find out if there was something weird about it in some other way like it engaged really high or really low, or inconsistently, or whatever...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Speaking of CM850s, @uniter a while back said this (can't get the reply with quote to function tonight for some reason): "I'm running the CM dual disk setup, it's glorious and support high numbers. That being said it's egregiously expensive, loud + chattery and the engagement takes a lot of getting used to. " So what was meant by "the engagement takes a lot of getting used to"?
    CM850's engagement point is very high. As far as daily driving I find that I can drive just as smoothly as any other clutch I've had; I just use more care.

I have driven this is stop-and-go traffic for hours. I have used it on road trips, and mostly street driving.

Anyone else who tries to use the clutch cannot. It's a theft deterrent.

$$ + Chatter apply. Mine is likely worse because of UUC Red Poly mounts.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear... I think I fall into the same dimension grouping as you which is prob solely the TB. BUT my stg2+ has been great. Soon I may change clutch due to selling the car and I will take some measurements. You had the non-radiused TB right, which recently they have altered to match stock dimensions with radius AFAIK.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear... I think I fall into the same dimension grouping as you which is prob solely the TB. BUT my stg2+ has been great. Soon I may change clutch due to selling the car and I will take some measurements. You had the non-radiused TB right, which recently they have altered to match stock dimensions with radius AFAIK.
    Yes, SPEC says there to bearing low/high positions are now identical to stock. However, since the engagement point is higher, perhaps the dimensions of the pressure plate is different enough to explain the altered engagement.

Neil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12