Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Car died and wont crank. HELP

Okay I am having my first issue with my car. My car FBO n54.
    I was staging up to race against a buddy of mine when after doing a quick burn out to heat my drag radials up the car died off and will not start again. We tried jumping it and still nothing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Auto or manual?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Auto or manual?
    AUTO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you check fuses? Do lights turn on?
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like it could be a starter possibly. Can you get a wrench on the crank pulley and turn the motor over?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would say starter as well except you say it died during a burnout.... Pull all of the plugs and see if it cranks... Im going with hydrolocked, either from a stuck open injector or maybe meth (if you have it)..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    By the sound of it, the starter is pushing forward its small gear onto the engine flexplate, but after that, nada.

Given how you say it died during a burnout, I am a little worried it might be bad. As the others said, pull plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand.

If things look ok, the starter motor or it's solenoid may be bad. The starter should be visible with the air cleaner removed, sort of below the rear turbo inlet.

Good luck with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pulling the engine out tomorrow. Pulled spark plugs out and still no crank so something went wrong. :/ Well if the engine can be saved I will be doing something insane to this thing now. But it is truly saddening .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can you turn it over with a wrench? Unless you found a pool of fuel in the cylinder it seems more likely to be electrical than mechanical.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope it won't turn at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I saw a guy hydrolock a motor once doing donuts, it was caused by a meth kit flowing when the engine was not under much load I think, I'm not sure honestly but was told it was the meth's fault. I don't know if you have meth, but your story sounded somewhat similar. Best of luck hope for your sake something fell into the flexplate or something. If not, I hear there are good things happening in Houston at ABR.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Odd. If it was locked when you pulled the plugs I'd expect it at least to be turnable by hand.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's probably not the issue, but did you do the battery cable recall? also how old is your battery?

When my battery cable was melting my car would die like this and wouldn't turn over.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd be wary of pulling the motor until the car was at least borescoped or checked out a little further.

You can get a cheap borescope for a laptop for as low as $40-$60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0U00925208
    and http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Inspe...bs_401578011_5

If it were my car, I'd definitely want to 1) remove the starter (easy) and both test it and get it away from the flexplate in case the starter is the fault 2) pull the belt off the engine, put the car in neutral and try to turn the crank by hand or with a wrench. 3) borescope it if the starter/solenoid/wiring tests fine.

Try more expensive stuff like a leakdown test (air compressor and $60 tester http://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cylin...ak+down+tester) or engine pull after you go for the low-hanging (cheap) fruit!

Best of luck!