Close

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No

    I'm looking for data

    I'm looking more into IAT issues since I am now in Texas and heat is a huge concern. I know Evolve has done IAT testing, but what I need data for, is at what temperature does the MSS54 ECU pull timing from the engine to compensate?
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,879
    Rep Points
    31,814.0
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    I wanted to make a Star Trek joke so badly.

    Anyway, I'm tired but I'll see what I can dig up in the morning.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I wanted to make a Star Trek joke so badly.

    Anyway, I'm tired but I'll see what I can dig up in the morning.

    Thanks. I've been looking pretty hard the last 2 days and still have found nothing.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    558
    Rep Points
    785.8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That Evolve thread seems to be gone from the internet. I hear Beyonce's lawyers are looking into it in the hopes of learning the secret of removing stuff from the interwebs.

    Timing is not pulled at a certain temperature only. There are a myriad of factors, but from what I have seen from BMW, their approach seems to always target the same performance regardless of conditions. This would indicate that at higher temperatures they will actually run the car a little harder to maintain the intended performance. Up until the safety threshold of course.

    I think you can safely assume that if you are sitting still or in stop and go traffic, anything in the 90's will negatively impact performance. And if you are at speed with good airflow, you can actually see good temps into the 100's. I know many will disagree with me there, but I actually have practical experience... in Texas heat.

    The most notable factor is heatsoak to me and not ambient temps. When running the car hard or experiencing low air flow (traffic), the stock IAT location will heat up a lot. I moved my sensor further out and the readings are much better and there really hasn't been much of a cause for concern until you get into the mid to high 100's.
    Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,879
    Rep Points
    31,814.0
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    That Evolve thread seems to be gone from the internet. I hear Beyonce's lawyers are looking into it in the hopes of learning the secret of removing stuff from the interwebs.

    Timing is not pulled at a certain temperature only. There are a myriad of factors, but from what I have seen from BMW, their approach seems to always target the same performance regardless of conditions. This would indicate that at higher temperatures they will actually run the car a little harder to maintain the intended performance. Up until the safety threshold of course.

    I think you can safely assume that if you are sitting still or in stop and go traffic, anything in the 90's will negatively impact performance. And if you are at speed with good airflow, you can actually see good temps into the 100's. I know many will disagree with me there, but I actually have practical experience... in Texas heat.

    The most notable factor is heatsoak to me and not ambient temps. When running the car hard or experiencing low air flow (traffic), the stock IAT location will heat up a lot. I moved my sensor further out and the readings are much better and there really hasn't been much of a cause for concern until you get into the mid to high 100's.
    Very good post.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,879
    Rep Points
    31,814.0
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. I've been looking pretty hard the last 2 days and still have found nothing.
    Have you asked @evolve or @Imran@Evolve?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    That Evolve thread seems to be gone from the internet. I hear Beyonce's lawyers are looking into it in the hopes of learning the secret of removing stuff from the interwebs.

    Timing is not pulled at a certain temperature only. There are a myriad of factors, but from what I have seen from BMW, their approach seems to always target the same performance regardless of conditions. This would indicate that at higher temperatures they will actually run the car a little harder to maintain the intended performance. Up until the safety threshold of course.

    I think you can safely assume that if you are sitting still or in stop and go traffic, anything in the 90's will negatively impact performance. And if you are at speed with good airflow, you can actually see good temps into the 100's. I know many will disagree with me there, but I actually have practical experience... in Texas heat.

    The most notable factor is heatsoak to me and not ambient temps. When running the car hard or experiencing low air flow (traffic), the stock IAT location will heat up a lot. I moved my sensor further out and the readings are much better and there really hasn't been much of a cause for concern until you get into the mid to high 100's.
    Are you referring to the evolve thread where they tested the difference between the factory iat location and theres? If so, I read it just before I posted this up, but that thread was incredibly long and filled with too many useless posts. I may have missed one post with data, but that thread was interesting.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Have you asked @evolve or @Imran@Evolve?
    That I have not done yet. Was hoping they would see this thread and poke their head in.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,879
    Rep Points
    31,814.0
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    That I have not done yet. Was hoping they would see this thread and poke their head in.
    They seem to be busy right now a few people are asking for things.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    716
    Rep Points
    551.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    I'm just curious op are you FI or NA?
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    558
    Rep Points
    785.8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    I'm a computer guy and I always look at these kinds of things from the same perspective as hardware thermal limits. For example, when you overclock your CPU in your computer, there is a thermal ceiling at which the CPU will begin to throttle. This would be the same as the car compensating by pulling timing as you asked. And while that number is good to know, and I'm sorry I can't provide you with that info as I don't have it and have never come across it, it is not always the same and you are better off staying relatively far under it anyways.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you log your car and the temps are fine, then you don't really need to know the exact value at which compensation occurs as long as you have a good margin of safety. However, if you need this data for something specific like tuning / just very interested, then I'm sorry for wasting your time writing this nonsense and I owe you a beer.
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    I'm just curious op are you FI or NA?
    NA.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm a computer guy and I always look at these kinds of things from the same perspective as hardware thermal limits. For example, when you overclock your CPU in your computer, there is a thermal ceiling at which the CPU will begin to throttle. This would be the same as the car compensating by pulling timing as you asked. And while that number is good to know, and I'm sorry I can't provide you with that info as I don't have it and have never come across it, it is not always the same and you are better off staying relatively far under it anyways.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you log your car and the temps are fine, then you don't really need to know the exact value at which compensation occurs as long as you have a good margin of safety. However, if you need this data for something specific like tuning / just very interested, then I'm sorry for wasting your time writing this nonsense and I owe you a beer.
    It's going to be used for tuning and just general information while racing, whether it be drag, autox, or random highway shenanigans. Also I appreciate your input, as I do understand that there are many variables which will inevitably effect performance, but before I dig any deeper into useless threads from years back, I would love to know this bit of useful information.
    Last edited by Steve B. CBR; 10-16-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •