Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

How to properly add higher octane fuel

So I have heard stories about how to mix fuel and am looking for concrete advice. I am looking into just running a 93 octane tune, however we only have 91 octane pumps within 160 miles. There are however VP vendors that carry 100 octane. I've done the calculations for my octane goals, now the question is how should the car be filled?

Should the fuel going in be mixed first? Should it be 100 octane first and then 91 or 91 then 100 octane? I've heard a few different stories from people that run E85, although most just pump the E85 and then pump the regular gas. Here's what the calculator told me for reference.

93 octane is the goal so, 3.78 gallons of 100 octane, and 13.22 gallons of 91 will give me the proper mix for 17 gallons.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I mix 50/50 e85 and 93 and I've filled different ways...the e85 first the 93 first, etc. Basically I just make sure I drive around for 10-15 mins before doing any WOT pulls to redline. Never had any issues. Just use common sense and drive around for a little so the fuel gets mixed up in the tank...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

round it up and do 4 gallons 100. doesnt really matter when you add it, once you start driving and it sloshes around it will ix just fine

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    round it up and do 4 gallons 100. doesnt really matter when you add it, once you start driving and it sloshes around it will ix just fine
    this
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The fuel will all slosh and mix but why not just run straight 100 then if it's available?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    4 Gallons of 100 to be safe..... I'd add that first just to make sure you get every bit of it in, then fill the rest with the 91 octane nearby. Then just give it ~10 mins to fully blend and you're golden
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The fuel will all slosh and mix but why not just run straight 100 then if it's available?
    Costs mostly. I've been driving the M3 alot more lately. Almost too much.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.