Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    @cwarren, a brand new DS "assembly" from BMW . The concept is bolt off bolt on, but I think there is calibrated balancing, or something like that, that needs to be done. not sure

@The Ghost, new DS Assembly from the dealer which had to be ordered . Prior to ordering the new DS they checked the center bearing, there was no fail in it, they double checked again after uninstalling it. The problem was found in the second half of the DS to have "play" in its connection to the differential.

They verified with another 335is, and there was no play in the DS. Installed my new DS and there also was no play

Name of the shop I get mechincal work done at is called Foreign Affairs Motorsports http://foreignaffairsmotorsports.com/
    buraq if you get a chance can you see if your mechanic did have to do any calibrating of any kind ? I thought these things where balanced from the factory.really makes me wonder if there is any validity to removing the DS and not replacing back in the same spot that you can get vibrations

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cwarren Click here to enlarge
    buraq if you get a chance can you see if your mechanic did have to do any calibrating of any kind ? I thought these things where balanced from the factory.really makes me wonder if there is any validity to removing the DS and not replacing back in the same spot that you can get vibrations
    I just confirmed the DS already came balanced from BMW, however the shop had to use some sort of special alignment tool though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good that you have figured it out! Been there, super annoying... At the end I had to replace my complete driveline... so annoying... Always vibrations in 5th gear... between 2000 and 3000 rpm....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just confirmed the DS already came balanced from BMW, however the shop had to use some sort of special alignment tool though

Only tools required is the special wrench to remove the sunk nut at the front of the diff that attaches to the rear of the driveshaft.

BMW tool part numbers 33 5 040 and 33 5 070

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
    Only tools required is the special wrench to remove the sunk nut at the front of the diff that attaches to the rear of the driveshaft.

BMW tool part numbers 33 5 040 and 33 5 070
    thanks for the info guys !!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cwarren Click here to enlarge
    thanks for the info guys !!
    Only special tools I ment. Good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this is due to driveshaft/differential play?

Does anyone with a single mass flywheel experience this issue? I just figured the DMFW was being torqued well beyond what it was designed to handle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123