So they are blaming the diff brace? That's weak
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:

Finally was able to get my car into a shop, that I trust, to diagnose the issue. At first it was thought the Guibo and Center bearing support may have failed due to adding a differential brace that perhaps reflected vibration back down the driveline.

Today, my driveline was dissected, taken apart and diagnosed. the guibo and center bearing support were all healthy, driveshaft had no binding, and the differential was perfectly ok.

So now we are down to the side shafts, wheels, and tires

It kinda hard to believe my rear PSS tires have anything to do with this. I just got them 8 months ago

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had a feeling very similar when my valves were dirty. I would get a vibration at exactly those RPM especially in gears like 3rd and 4th. I didn't notice it until I noticed it, and then it was progressively harder to not notice. It almost felt like the car was misfiring oh so slightly, or vibrating sorta at those RPM's. This was at maybe 35k miles.

Edit- I see they checked them now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how many miles on the car and when was the valves cleaned last if ever (mileage wise)? don't trust the dealer on what they say, 25k to 30k def do them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    also with updating the ecu - the adaptations could have been reset, or they could need to be reset. if you look up the stumbling / hesitation thread by mr5 he outlines the process. ( if they were reset the ecu may need some time to learn, but it seems like you have put on the needed mileage already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by luckystrike Click here to enlarge
    how many miles on the car and when was the valves cleaned last if ever (mileage wise)? don't trust the dealer on what they say, 25k to 30k def do them.
    Car currently has 53k miles, problem started right after 43k. Its not the intake valves...as the vibration is coming from the rear of the car.

also with updating the ecu - the adaptations could have been reset, or they could need to be reset. if you look up the stumbling / hesitation thread by mr5 he outlines the process. ( if they were reset the ecu may need some time to learn, but it seems like you have put on the needed mileage already.
    Nothing software related.....ECU was updated and reflashed, all adaptation cleared. Problem has been verified, and confirmed after my previous post, driveshaft needs replacing

We got another 335is up on the lift and checked to see if the "excess play" of the DS connection to the diff was normal, and sure enough it was not. I ordered a new stock DS, it will be in tomorrow and installed hopefully on Wednesday.

Hopefully no other surprises come up......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Too many hard launches. These car's have a great motor but the rest of the drivetrain in average.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

can you explain what / where the excess play was?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

love to see this solves the problem I have the same thing going on .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    can you explain what / where the excess play was?
    When turning the wheel from either side there is a delay before the DS turns with the wheel. They are suppose to turn at the exact same time with no freedom

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I presume our driveshafts are non-serviceable? That's lame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
    Too many hard launches. These car's have a great motor but the rest of the drivetrain in average.
    The drive train is designed for 300 ft. lbs.

@BuraQ you talking about the half shafts, correct?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    The drive train is designed for 300 ft. lbs.

@BuraQ you talking about the half shafts, correct?
    Nope the driveshaft from the transmission to the diff. This is the second time it failed on me in the same area which is the "connection" to the diff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a helical gear LSD?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Do you have a helical gear LSD?
    No open diff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Off topic but I'm confused. $600 to clean intake valves? Wtf are the hiring a midget to climb in there and clean em with a tooth brush?
    really though what do they do to justify that expense?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turbodan Click here to enlarge
    Wtf are the hiring a midget to climb in there and clean em with a tooth brush?
    I think you just created a new business. I don't necessarily mean just for cleaning valves but having midgets clean anything with a toothbrush. I already imagine the craigslists posts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

FIXED

I got my new drive shaft installed yesterday and the problem has been resolved, finally.

I am now on my "THIRD" drive shaft. 400+ launches and the DCT still pulling like a freight, no slippage

The new DS came with a new Guibo(Flex Disk) and Center Support Bearing. The failing part of the old DS was the second half of it that connects to the differential that had the play in it.

Looks like my next move is to give DSS a call about a CF DS when I have the extra fund to spend.

Parts, Labor and Diagnostics totaled about almost $1300 Click here to enlarge . There goes most of my track money

Its about almost time to start loading up the PTF E50 map Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    I got my new drive shaft installed yesterday and the problem has been resolved, finally.

I am now on my "THIRD" drive shaft. 400+ launches and the DCT still pulling like a freight, no slippage

The new DS came with a new Guibo(Flex Disk) and Center Support Bearing. The failing part of the old DS was the second half of it that connects to the differential that had the play in it.

Looks like my next move is to give DSS a call about a CF DS when I have the extra fund to spend.

Parts, Labor and Diagnostics totaled about almost $1300 Click here to enlarge . There goes most of my track money

Bad luck with the driveshaft. I've had bad luck with mine in my Cayenne on my third now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge

this was just a factory replacement shaft ? bolt on and good to go ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you get a new shaft from BMW, or a used one from a yard?

how do you know it wasn't the center bearing?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cwarren Click here to enlarge
    this was just a factory replacement shaft ? bolt on and good to go ?
    @cwarren, a brand new DS "assembly" from BMW . The concept is bolt off bolt on, but I think there is calibrated balancing, or something like that, that needs to be done. not sure

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Did you get a new shaft from BMW, or a used one from a yard?

how do you know it wasn't the center bearing?
    @The Ghost, new DS Assembly from the dealer which had to be ordered . Prior to ordering the new DS they checked the center bearing, there was no fail in it, they double checked again after uninstalling it. The problem was found in the second half of the DS to have "play" in its connection to the differential.

They verified with another 335is, and there was no play in the DS. Installed my new DS and there also was no play

Name of the shop I get mechincal work done at is called Foreign Affairs Motorsports http://foreignaffairsmotorsports.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see. How much did the part cost you? Lasts I priced it, it was ~$950. Wish we had an aftermarket option.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I see. How much did the part cost you? Lasts I priced it, it was ~$950. Wish we had an aftermarket option.
    Between $800-$900 + labor + diag

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    glad you fixed your issue
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast