Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Thanks, Tony. That's part of the reason I went with a Garrett turbo and Tial housing. There are several turbo options that will bolt up using the same inlet and DP flange, so I can easily switch things up if I want.
    Thus my favorite benefit of a top mount turbo Click here to enlarge get tired of a turbo? Swap it out no problem for a different one
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Thus my favorite benefit of a top mount turbo Click here to enlarge get tired of a turbo? Swap it out no problem for a different one
    Yeah its easier to swap, but a little due diligence on turbo choice and there should be no need to swap them out unless you are upping horsepower dramatically , a 1.03 housing and a 3582 is pretty poor combo for this motor. There are quite a few articles comparing the 3582 to the 3076, the 3076 hands the 3582 its ass in almost all categories, the 3582 has a slight advantage on top. Honestly if he puts on a GTX3076 with a 63 housing, he can still make 570 and the car will be an animal down low prob pick up 750 spool. If he goes .82 he can make over 600 WHP and pick up 500 rpm spool. He def did the right thing with the tial housings etc, a lot of options for that footprint

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Seriously, someone gets it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Seriously, someone gets it
    Someone gets what? That its easier to swap a top mount? You would have to be 6 years old to not get that. Bottom line is, why on earth are you swapping turbos all the time? Let me guess you will say its just nice to have the option. Sure my wheels are also easy to get to as well, but I'm not taking them off and on just because they are right there, they are removed when there is an issue. I personally feel adding all that heat the engine compartment is not worth the trade off of the turbo being a little easier to access, but that's my opinion, I understand people will have differing ones.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 09-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Someone gets what? That its easier to swap a top mount? You would have to be 6 years old to not get that. Bottom line is, why on earth are you swapping turbos all the time? Let me guess you will say its just nice to have the option. Sure my wheels are also easy to get to as well, but I'm not taking them off and on just because they are right there, they are removed when there is an issue. I personally feel adding all that heat the engine compartment is not worth the trade off of the turbo being a little easier to access, but that's my opinion, I understand people will have differing ones.
    Someone who TRULY GETS IT!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just realized Eleventeen is now part of the HBK crew Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    so you're happy to run wheel bolts when studs are an option?

i rarely take of my wheels, but i'm damn sure running studs.

(no need to bring centre lock into this discussion Click here to enlarge)
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    so you're happy to run wheel bolts when studs are an option?

i rarely take of my wheels, but i'm damn sure running studs.

(no need to bring centre lock into this discussion Click here to enlarge)
    Hmmmm, bolts and studs both require the same effort to remove, since this discussion was on ease of removal, not sure where you obvious attempt at sarcasm fits in here. But honestly, don't really care about this back and forth, I think bottom mount has advantages over top mount, only advantage I see in top mount is ease of turbo removal, and maybe dick swinging. But we know the people who will prob never own either bottom mount or top mount single will continue to muck up the thread telling everyone which is better. Ok back to Football and beer. CheersClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmmmm, bolts and studs both require the same effort to remove, since this discussion was on ease of removal, not sure where you obvious attempt at sarcasm fits in here. But honestly, don't really care about this back and forth, I think bottom mount has advantages over top mount, only advantage I see in top mount is ease of turbo removal, and maybe dick swinging. But we know the people who will prob never own either bottom mount or top mount single will continue to muck up the thread telling everyone which is better. Ok back to Football and beer. CheersClick here to enlarge
    hah not being sarcastic... it's easier to remove and reinstall when it's fully held on by the studs... easier location of holes etc... same for the top mount.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Bottom line is no one wants to drop a motor more than once to swap a turbo even once. Turbos don't last forever and neither do setups. He may find a tranny solution and decide to go for more power. Take that turbo off, send it to FP and have an HTA3586r with little effort and only $700 cost. People get bored of setups. Period. Having a top mount setup just gives you more freedom to make more decisions. I agree with Tony that I wouldn't have selected that turbo and that turbine housing but that's the beauty of his setup. He can just take it off and try something else. I also agree with Tony in that a GTX3076r with .63 AR would have made the same power and spooled a lot faster. I still say though that he prob would have been happiest with an HTA3582r with a .63. 700hp with 4000rpm spool.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why top mount? Because racecar. And because it's a shame not to show off your work and accomplishments when the only person dealing with the consequences of your choices is you. If I was going single I'd do the exact same thing. I stuffed 6 months of welding behind sheet metal once before where nobody could see it... always regretted that. The pictures were the only memory of the blood sweat and money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

If you could swap turbos in 20 min it would be fun to have a tiny "street" turbo and a huge "racecar" turbo. But, ultimately I can understand the fun in wanting to do something different and unique. The top mount turbo manifolds fall in to that category nicely. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    If you could swap turbos in 20 min it would be fun to have a tiny "street" turbo and a huge "racecar" turbo. But, ultimately I can understand the fun in wanting to do something different and unique. The top mount turbo manifolds fall in to that category nicely. Click here to enlarge

I know a guy who had a supra with a foam lined box mounted in the trunk he would run around with a 6262 daily with a gx42 in the trunk he could swap his turbos out under 10 minutes and after that it was just a simple map change
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

2 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    WOW.

Let me guess, future bottom mount single turbo kit vendor? Get over it Tony, it's a $#@!ing turbo location. I wasn't even addressing you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, it's just a plain old family car Click here to enlarge Still has the stock exhaust from the DP back, too.
    HAH love it. Thats why I love my car. I can go race on the weekend and then take kids to school on Monday. Great setup can't wait to see track times.
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can u post pics of your build ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    WOW.

Let me guess, future bottom mount single turbo kit vendor? Get over it Tony, it's a $#@!ing turbo location. I wasn't even addressing you.
    I am not trying to sell anything here, we are discussing the merits of top mount vs bottom mount. I do not think ease of turbo removal is worth the extra heat you are forcing into your engine compartment, heat is the biggest killer of trying making power, fact. You now have a big glob of 1800 degree stainless sitting right in the middle of your engine bay, on the bottom mount, using good heat shielding we were able to keep a run of the mill vinyl sticker placed literally 3 inches above the turbine housings from not only melting but even discoloring after 5000 miles of hard abuse, to me keeping all this heat down and out the bottom of the engine compartment is a bigger plus than being able to pull my turbo a little quicker. That is my argument for top over bottom and the only one. The top mount kits are bad ass, but if I had 2 sitting in front of me and was told pick one, I would go bottom. And look at you getting all cussy and stuff, easy bro, its only turbo location as you say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

You never had ya car
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice numbers! It's more than I expected with that turbo and boost level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@BoostAddictions Click here to enlarge
    Nice numbers! It's more than I expected with that turbo and boost level.
    A local car I tuned on Cobb did 525-530whp at 18-18.5psi on pump a couple weeks back on a single turbo setup, GTX35R, 1.06 housing...considering @Eleventeen doesn't run a GTX but a GT I'd say its pretty much in the ballpark

http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2013...hakedown-runs/
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats awesome. Do you happen to have the graph so we could check out the spool?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    A local car I tuned on Cobb did 525-530whp at 18-18.5psi on pump a couple weeks back on a single turbo setup, GTX35R, 1.06 housing...considering @Eleventeen doesn't run a GTX but a GT I'd say its pretty much in the ballpark

http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2013...hakedown-runs/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Somewhere, yea

EDIT: Here it is. Note this was a GTX35R with a Garret 1.06ar housing and 4th gear on a 6MT with pump. @Eleventeen's dyno is with a 1.03 Tial exhaust housing, meth and a 6AT car, so not really apples to apples. On top of that, this GTX35R car got only attention 1 day, that day on the dyno Click here to enlarge nowhere close to a complete or final tune and we ran out of fuel up top even at these lowish boost levels probably due to his now weak original LPFP

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 09-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Somewhere, yea

EDIT: Here it is. Note this was a GTX35R with a Garret 1.06ar housing and 4th gear on a 6MT with pump. @Eleventeen's dyno is with a 1.03 Tial exhaust housing, meth and a 6AT car, so not really apples to apples. On top of that, this GTX35R car got only attention 1 day, that day on the dyno Click here to enlarge nowhere close to a complete or final tune and we ran out of fuel up top even at these lowish boost levels probably due to his now weak original LPFP

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...3a013ce0-1.jpg
    That GTX will really start to shine once boost is turned up.

I just had to replace my LPFP. The old one still worked, but it was weak. I guess they start to fade instead of just crapping out altogether.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Somewhere, yea

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...3a013ce0-1.jpg
    Its looking like an .82 might give the best powerband on a ST setup. I'm interested to see what the GTX would gain on e85+meth and high boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Anyone know what AR the Vishnu guys run?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast