Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Wink Can dealership or bmw tell if car has been tuned?

Is it possible for bmw dealership to tell if car has been flashed or has a piggy back? I want to tune our 2010 335i but don't want to lose the warranty. Would they be able to tell if I remove the tune before we go in for service? Thanks in advance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rule of thumb is to remove tune when you visit the dealership.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The modern tunes are pretty much undetectable. Like stated above, it is always recommended to clear codes and remove them before going in for service.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought I read of some people being denied warranty coverage because the dealer read historical data from the DME (like max MAF or max manifold pressure) and the values read could only have been achieved through a tune. It's possible not all versions of the MSD80 or MSD81 software have this feature. I can't remember where I read this, nor am I able to find it now, so consider it hearsay.

If the DME did store historical data such as max values, maybe someone could find how to read/reset the data with INPA.

It is not uncommon to store such values for analysis in case of a failure or if the OEM suspects its products were not being used in a way consistent with their design in the case of warranty service. Honestly, this is the case when you tune your engine.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a great relationship with my SA, that helps tremendously. But yes remove tune before going to dealer. OR don't get a tune. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still bring my FBO car into the dealer, but I always remove my COBB tune.... They have to know the car is tuned (I mean, catless DPs, upgraded FMIC, CP + DVs), but since the car is always on stock software when it goes in, there's no "evidence"
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Read up emissions readiness, there a cycle of certain driving to enable that. bmw have an alert out to ask awkward questions and challenge you if you bring in a car with no readiness set. None of the tuners have clarified of they leave the car with readiness set for you when uninstalled (probably for good reason even if they do)

Regards

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got denied on certain things and had to raise hell over a CEL being turned off (deleted cats). They knew about that but they couldn't detect a tune.

With a piggy, you have nothing to worry about unless you're dumb enough to leave it in the car which some guys have done.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crypticc Click here to enlarge
    bmw have an alert out to ask awkward questions and challenge you if you bring in a car with no readiness set.
    Never had this problem with my dealer, but then again I'm sure this experience varies from one to the next
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2010335i Click here to enlarge
    Is it possible for bmw dealership to tell if car has a piggy back?
    Very easy to look at the connectors to see they have been manipulated.

Any tune must be uninstalled before the dealer sees the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 Click here to enlarge
    I have a great relationship with my SA, that helps tremendously. But yes remove tune before going to dealer. OR don't get a tune.

I'll go a little further; having a great relationship with a specific technician along with having a great relationship with your SA, helps tremendously.

Prior to bringing my car into a dealership, I asked around in my regional sub-forum(s) if anyone had any recommendations for an SA. More than a few people recommended a specific SA, along with a specific technician. I've never had a problem bringing my car in, and I'm FBO. I just uninstall my Cobb AP beforehand. I've forgotten to do so once or twice, and neither the SA or technician have said anything to me.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crypticc Click here to enlarge
    Read up emissions readiness, there a cycle of certain driving to enable that. bmw have an alert out to ask awkward questions and challenge you if you bring in a car with no readiness set. None of the tuners have clarified of they leave the car with readiness set for you when uninstalled (probably for good reason even if they do)
    I've never had an issue relating to emissions readiness, and I definitely wasn't ready the times I brought my car into the dealership since I'm fully catless and didn't have a downpipe fix.

With that said, the mentioned BMW drive cycle is below. I've completed it numerous times and tested it, since I had to install the downpipe fix for emissions. It's important to pay attention to the three instances that cause the drive cycle to be discontinued.

Click here to enlarge

I used the Autel MaxiScan MS300 to verify if my car has achieved "readiness" in required areas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I thought I read of some people being denied warranty coverage because the dealer read historical data from the DME (like max MAF or max manifold pressure) and the values read could only have been achieved through a tune. It's possible not all versions of the MSD80 or MSD81 software have this feature. I can't remember where I read this, nor am I able to find it now, so consider it hearsay.

If the DME did store historical data such as max values, maybe someone could find how to read/reset the data with INPA.

It is not uncommon to store such values for analysis in case of a failure or if the OEM suspects its products were not being used in a way consistent with their design in the case of warranty service. Honestly, this is the case when you tune your engine.
    The ECU does not see high boost with a piggy back.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    The ECU does not see high boost with a piggy back.
    Very true.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    thanks again for all the replies. does anyone know who has the best price for a jb4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2010335i Click here to enlarge
    thanks again for all the replies. does anyone know who has the best price for a jb4?
    You can just buy it directly from BMS you won't see much of a fluctuation in the price it's already the most competitively priced option on the market.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale