Thread: Evolve Medusa Headers vs Stock Headers Pictures

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Evolve Medusa Headers vs Stock Headers Pictures

We installed a set of headers on a carbon black E39 M5 here at Evolve HQ yesterday so I took the opportunity to take a picture of the stock headers with the Evolve Medusa 4-1 Headers.

For anyone that hasn't seen the difference and why there is so much room for improvement see the pictures below. BMW M really did do a cost cutting exercise on the beast by using the 540i headers. For M5 owners it does mean there is potential to release a healthy chunk of power/torque throughout the rev range.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Dyno graph:

Click here to enlarge

Overall, we are looking at around 30-40hp and 35-50Nm (29-37lb.ft) through the rpm range with the peak gains being approx +40hp and 45Nm torque.

The minimum gains are around 30hp and 30lb.ft torque.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Evolve Automotive E39 M5 S62 V8 results with 'medusa' style 4-1 headers versus stock headers - +30 hp

Headers are a well known area to gain power / torque on the S62 V8 in the E39 M5. The stock S62 V8 headers are not exactly BMW M's best work essentially re-using the 4.4 liter M62 V8 design out of the E39 540i. How restrictive is this design? The dynograph provided shows quite a bit as the Evolve headers show significant gains through the curve especially up top in the rev range. Gains are as large as approximately 30-40 horsepower and 29-37 pound-feet of torque.

Take a look at the stock design versus the Evolve design below along with the dynograph. Combine these headers with a tune and it will feel like a whole new car.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Good god, I now have 3 BMW's in the drive but the one I really wanted was an E39 with an S62 ..... these headers and a S/C and we would be right as rain

Will these headers be fitted for the M62 540i ???
    996 TTS RWD
    E39 540i
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good god, I now have 3 BMW's in the drive but the one I really wanted was an E39 with an S62 ..... these headers and a S/C and we would be right as rain

Good question regarding the M62.
    @evolve @Imran@Evolve
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Good question regarding the M62.
    @evolve @Imran@Evolve

My poor old beast does not like it when I put in the octane boosters... well it likes it at the time and now weeks later he is a grumbling old bad tempered beast... would love to add some headers, new rear end exhaust etc when I finish my N20 project just to see where we can go but as of today my car really hated going over 80mph Click here to enlarge
    996 TTS RWD
    E39 540i
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

My poor old beast does not like it when I put in the octane boosters... well it likes it at the time and now weeks later he is a grumbling old bad tempered beast... would love to add some headers, new rear end exhaust etc when I finish my N20 project just to see where we can go but as of today my car really hated going over 80mph Click here to enlarge
    Octane boosters can clog injectors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yeah Stick, already cleaned them once in the last 3 months... job for tomorrow
    996 TTS RWD
    E39 540i
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

It's pretty surprising that the S62 headers are so bad after seeing how good the S65 headers are.... Big difference in the tech that's been released though and @evolve continues to kill the BMW aftermarket scene
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    It's pretty surprising that the S62 headers are so bad after seeing how good the S65 headers are.... Big difference in the tech that's been released though and @evolve continues to kill the BMW aftermarket scene
    The S65 headers are likely the best headers BMW has ever done for a street car. Keep in mind the S65 puts out more power to the wheels with 1.0 liter less displacement than the S62. So, really, not surprising the S65 headers are much better considering the HP per liter difference and how much more BMW got out of less.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Why can't these be offered for the E46 M3? Or at least something very similar? Extremely impressive gains and excellent quality.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Why can't these be offered for the E46 M3? Or at least something very similar? Extremely impressive gains and excellent quality.
    I looked into this with @evolve the SS Stepped headers make perfect power and as EVOLVE are already an SS dealer......
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

E46 M3 headers - SS Stepped V1 with V1 Section 1 is already pretty awesome. They did an amazing job on those.

S65 headers - perfection for NA car. SS tried many different designs and gained nothing. If they say there is nothing to be gained there on a NA application I tend to believe them. This is why you have seen no data for any of the other headers out there. We are going to test something for boosted cars very soon to see if it makes a difference.

S62 headers - in theory should fit a 540i with some custom fabrication on the section 1 side.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

No wonder the gains are so impressive, those stock headers are $#@! flow wise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am trying to see about a group buy from Motorsports Down Under They were $5000 and now $2000. Hopefully even less with group buy.
    http://www.motorsportsdownunder.com/catalog/i11.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

There are E46 M3 header options but that header is designed better to begin with. The main thing with the E46 M3 header is to delete the integrated cat at least for US models.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Supersprint is the most well known for E46 M3 headers, but you can also buy Agency Power or eBay headers.... Someone on e46fanatics showed that the eBay headers even yielded nearly an average 20 HP/20 TQ, just no guarantees how long they'll last after abuse from the elements or several heat cycles.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There are E46 M3 header options but that header is designed better to begin with. The main thing with the E46 M3 header is to delete the integrated cat at least for US models.
    This I know, but looking at the merge collector and piping diameter. It's a much better design than what we have on the market for the E46. That merge simply shows a vast amount of tuning was put into this header. The length of the header also tells another story. There isn't an E46 M3 header on the market designed like this. Not even close, although the Epic and SS headers are close, still not what we're seeing here.

06 M3 ZCP: RPI Scoops, AFe Stage 2 Intake, Power Flex Urenthane Bushings, Shark Injector, VAC Ultra Light UDP's, Turner Solid Diff Bushing, UUC Evo 3, and BAV Auto CDV mod

E46 M3 links:

E46 M3 wheel/tire fitment guide

Race Tires!!!

Evolve Tune+Alpha N+Euro Header Dyno, +46 rwhp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Supersprint is the most well known for E46 M3 headers, but you can also buy Agency Power or eBay headers.... Someone on e46fanatics showed that the eBay headers even yielded nearly an average 20 HP/20 TQ, just no guarantees how long they'll last after abuse from the elements or several heat cycles.
    I already have AP headers which imo are just a basic copy of the euro header design. There's so much more to a header design that makes more power and has better flow characteristics than just removing cats and calling it a day. I'm 100% positive more power can be had over the majority of headers for the E46.

06 M3 ZCP: RPI Scoops, AFe Stage 2 Intake, Power Flex Urenthane Bushings, Shark Injector, VAC Ultra Light UDP's, Turner Solid Diff Bushing, UUC Evo 3, and BAV Auto CDV mod

E46 M3 links:

E46 M3 wheel/tire fitment guide

Race Tires!!!

Evolve Tune+Alpha N+Euro Header Dyno, +46 rwhp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

I already have AP headers which imo are just a basic copy of the euro header design. There's so much more to a header design that makes more power and has better flow characteristics than just removing cats and calling it a day. I'm 100% positive more power can be had over the majority of headers for the E46.
    Longer tubes may provide some more power (possibly with a sacrifice elsewhere in the band) but we're talking about eeking a few horses at that point. Not worth the investment with the options that already exist.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome looking headers and great gains. Must find shop to do custom install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

contact us we can possibly work something out for you on the headers
    undercoverperformanceinc@gmail.com
    Click here to enlarge
    I probably run as much boost as you do fuel pressure