Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Possibly a bad DME 07 335i

THERE WILL BE YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK AT BOTTOM WITH MECHANIC EXPLAINING WHAT I JUST TYPED OUT

I seem to get more help on here than anywhere else so I appreciate all the replies.

Okay guys, I've started a couple of threads after I had my engine replaced. I'm sorry forgive me. I'm still desperate, but this is my last try before I trailer it up and take it 4 hours toward Dallas. I'm in west Texas and no resources here to help me and that's why I'm in this predicament. I regret it and should have just spent the money to get this done 6-8 months ago. That's how long I've been without my ride.

Anyway, when I blew my motor money shifting. I was still able to read the DME after the fact and had all kinds of codes. Now 6 months later when we got everything back together I can't pull anything from the DME. There is a orange wire on the DME relay that leads back to the DME that won't ground. He has checked all the other grounds and everything is okay. I believe my mechanic said it leads to diode 31 or something. He's not that familiar with it himself, but he's working with a schematic that someone kindly got for me. I tried plugging my JB4 back in to see if I can pull codes off of the DME and I got it to connect and "read" the DME but it said "no codes found". If it was able to connect with JB4 does that mean the DME is fine or is it just not actually reading the DME so it won't pull codes? Also the only way to access the JB4 menu from the steering wheel is for him to manually ground the relay. I don't see how my DME could go out from just sitting in the vehicle. Right before I did blow my motor I uploaded the new G5 ISO firmware, which did give me trouble but it went through and still was able to drive just fine right up until I money shifted. The DME just sat in the car for 6 months and the temperatures werent extreme or anything. The vehicle is in an air conditioned shop. By the way my DME is date stamped 7/2/07, which falls into the ones that have trouble from what I have read.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I also do realize if it is the DME I know I have to take it to the dealer to get that done. It would be nice to not have to go that route if someone could maybe find something we are missing. Also, is there someone I could ship my DME to and get them to test it? Possibly somone who flashes DME's should be able to tell I would think.

HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK
    he says "can you hear the water pump running". I think he meant to say fuel pump just an honest mistake when he was explaining.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LncGmz Click here to enlarge
    If it was able to connect with JB4 does that mean the DME is fine or is it just not actually reading the DME so it won't pull codes?
    That's a good question but I don't think the JB4 connecting necessarily implies a healthy DME.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else? :-/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else? :-/
    Friendly bump to help you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm remapping cars, whenever the fan is going on there is some fault in the DME. You could try to go to a local tune shop, let them take out the chip and put on a stock flash on it. Solves many problems for dusin, although if you've tried to start it many times with no lock, the ECU can lock it self. Hopefully it's nothing big.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seriously get your car to a bmw mechanic without any piggyback or flash, wiring is clearly $#@!ed up..
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well i think if someone was capable and kind enough to test the DME for the OP, he could then narrow it down to the wiring then invest the money to have a BMW tech look at it. If it's the DME then he could easily get a new one and have it programmed or get the old one repaired which has been done on this forum before.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    well i think if someone was capable and kind enough to test the DME for the OP, he could then narrow it down to the wiring then invest the money to have a BMW tech look at it. If it's the DME then he could easily get a new one and have it programmed or get the old one repaired which has been done on this forum before.
    Thanks for that. That's what I was wanting to do but I told the "mechanic" to get my car put back together and I'll just trailer it to Dallas which is about 4.5 hours away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry bud. i tried.

Thanks for that. That's what I was wanting to do but I told the "mechanic" to get my car put back together and I'll just trailer it to Dallas which is about 4.5 hours away.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just wanted to update everyone and let yall know I ended up getting the car to the dealer. They couldn't communicate with the DME either and they ended up replacing it. That ran $2400. Then they finally awoken her from her hibernation. She still wasn't up to par bc of the crappy mechanic I used for the motor install so they had to do another $1200 worth of work to correct some other issues like vacuum lines and a bent waste-gate actuator and recharge the AC system. After that she still wasn't running quite well. They then said it needed injectors. They were going to charge $1800, but I got them to give me $400 off. So I got the new updated injectors. Anyway it was finally running like a champ after another $4500 spent at the dealer plus the other $6000 I had spent on the motor, clutch and other miscellaneous parts I had bought. So it came out to a little over $10 grand. Don't money shift and then take your car to a crappy mechanic. I learned my lesson for sure. It's back in the shop unfortunately. Nothing major, but I was sitting at a light and the shifter came lose from the transmission. No big deal thats fixed, but then they got under there and had to fix the other crappy mechanics mistakes once again. There was a gas leak from the gas line that the mechanic broke and also an oil leak from the turbo outlet pipe. I'll have that in tmw and get them to install it. The other mechanic bent it or something as well. There's one more thing I need to correct. There's a vibration coming from what sounds like the drive-line. I hope not, but it happens from 25-35 mph then goes away and drives smooth. I got the tires balanced and that didn't fix the problem. The other guy putting that part on said there's a bushing that looks bad, but I'm not sure if that could cause that. Anyway, if worse comes to worse, we'll be taking down the exhaust and checking out the carrier or whatever is down there on the drive shaft. Anyway what can I do with this spare DME I have now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also want to add that I have no idea how the DME went bad. When I blew my motor I had my JB4 on and still could hook up my laptop and pull a slew of codes. The DME was sitting in the front passenger seat for about six months until the new motor got installed. I don't see how that could ruin it. I honestly think when he got everything put back together he shorted it out some how. That mechanic cost me so much extra.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyway what can I do with this spare DME I have now?
    Sell it?