Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N55 & JB4 Gremlins

Over the last few months, I've had some issues and I wonder if anyone has shared the experience or has advice.

First, I was running the n55 JB4 (non ISO) and heard some buzzing from the turbo area. Found this video that indicates it may be the boost solenoid (yes, I know this is an N54, but I've seen N55's reporting the same issue)

so I took everything off (JB4, BMS Intake) and it was still making the noise. Off to the dealer I go and, of course, they could not replicate the problem.

Since the JB4 was off, I did the ISO mod and put everything together. Loved ISO (especially w/ E85 mix) but I was one of the unfortunate few that fell victim to the water pump bug. If you haven't heard, the pump runs randomly when the car is off draining the battery. Loosing the ISO is the cure apparently. For the two months I had ISO, I never heard the buzzing from the boost solenoid.

today I switched back to non-ISO and as soon as I got back from my test drive there was the buzzing!

Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm sorry I can't help with this solenoid issue but I sure would like to know if anyone has any insight into what causes the water pump to run when the ECU goes to sleep while the car if off. That would fix both of our problems. I can tell you that BMS has confirmed that the water pump problem doesn't happen when the JB4 connector is removed from the boost solenoid so I bet they are related. Unfortunately I think BMS is devoting all of its time to other projects leaving us to fend for ourselves at the moment. 30 ISO updates for N54 and 4 for us pretty much says it. Not that I can blame them. You gotta focus on where the money is but it is very frustrating.

Just curious, are you aware of the buggy firmware BMW released that killed throttle response and added boost lag? Do you have that? I think that's the firmware I'm running at the moment so I was thinking of taking it back to the dealer to get the update people say fixes that. S IB12 09 12 April 2013.
    Last edited by loesch; 10-01-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not aware of the buggy firmware. I just had mine back to the dealer in July, so I'm sure I have that new April version. I don't seem to have any issues with lag and throttle response.

I don't blame BMS at all. This ISO update was always tagged "BETA" and you just have to live with the implications of that. I'm looking forward to getting some E85 back in the tank and see how it all responds with out ISO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Have you talked to @Terry@BMS?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've had approximately 1.7 million "gremlins" with my JB4 over two different cars. My first one had to be lemoned (I'm not entirely convinced it didn't have something to do with the JB4, but I can't prove that) and the second one has similar issues. Terry has always been very quick and good to respond to my support emails, but he always insisted the unit itself was not to blame. I had the exact same buzzing you did, by the way, but worse. And I could literally control it via the JB4 - the pitch would drastically change and start/stop when interfacing with the car via laptop. I press the "code read" button, and boom - buzzing. When it finishes, the buzzing stopped.

I've now paid for a second unit to swap out, out of pocket. I hate to pay out of pocket for a $20 board (I manufacture electronic products and know what that PCB should cost) that really should be replaced for free, but what am I going to do - give money to Shiv? That'll be the day. I guess that's what happens when you have a monopoly. I'll update this with whether my actual unit was bad or not in just a couple of days. I'm 99% sure that is the case, and a respected local performance shop agrees.

Frankly, swap out the JB4. It's certainly not a super-premium quality PCB and a new one may fix your problems. When it does work, at least it's great.
    Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-03-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by paradoxical3 Click here to enlarge
    I'll update this with whether my actual unit was bad or not in just a couple of days. I'm 99% sure that is the case, and a respected local performance shop agrees.
    I would like to get the update on this place. If it's a bad board it happens, with anything electronic.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I had a board die on me too. Took it apart and saw fluid leaking from a capacitor. Terry replaced it free of charge with no hassle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Looks like the board was bad, just as I suspected and Terry always said wasn't the case. So ridiculous, so many hours and so much money troubleshooting over the last year and swapping it out fixed the problem. To think I didn't even need new plugs, coils, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

And the N55 neglect continues...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have to eat my words; the problem was not a hardware problem but appears to be a firmware bug with G5 ISO. New board fixed it because was on the non-ISO firmware. Same problem happens with both boards as soon as I load up ISO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by paradoxical3 Click here to enlarge
    I have to eat my words; the problem was not a hardware problem but appears to be a firmware bug with G5 ISO. New board fixed it because was on the non-ISO firmware. Same problem happens with both boards as soon as I load up ISO.
    At least you came back and took responsibility by updating the thread.