Close

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Confirmed that the new M3/M4 has fake engine sound pumped through speakers.

Fail!
    Really? I read the exact opposite...they wouldn't be doing what they did with the m5. Do you have a source?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok i just saw the article.... major fail. The synthetic sound is stupid.. ugh
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Ok i just saw the article.... major fail. The synthetic sound is stupid.. ugh
    One of the mags found the fuse that controls the synthetic sounds on the M5 and the pulled it. The car sounded terrible without the fake sound so they put the fuse back in. Maybe with an aftermarket exhaust adding some volume one could run without the fake sound.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am surprised about the fake/synthesised sound. In the video where Bruno was driving it, it sounded good - I would have thought for sure it was real sound. I guess you can't tell much when sound is recorded like that - but, I felt it was almost definitely a signature sound... In other words, could tell it was something a bit special.

That's a bummer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    the good news is that this powerplant is mated to a chassis that will weigh about 3306 pounds or 1500 kilograms.
    With no driver and 90% fuel in the tank...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I am surprised about the fake/synthesised sound. In the video where Bruno was driving it, it sounded good - I would have thought for sure it was real sound. I guess you can't tell much when sound is recorded like that - but, I felt it was almost definitely a signature sound... In other words, could tell it was something a bit special.

That's a bummer.
    So, the bad news is yes, the M3/M4 does feature Active Sound.

But, the good news is that we've confirmed with BMW Germany that it's a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played. This sound amplification takes place through the M3/M4/s stereo speakers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup, I was going to post that^

It's a system that amplifies the natural sound through the speakers...... Interesting

I guess I have to experience it before criticizing it.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes... It may not be as bad as folks think it is. We will just have to wait and see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Technically it is still fake. It is replicating the engine noise and amplifying it through the cars speakers. It's not real or raw. But still better than a pre-recorded sound file like the M5.

To be honest I would much rather not have. If I want increased sound, I would most definitely put on an aftermarket exhaust system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm appalled at the fact that some people are willing to even accept ANY form of synthetic sound from a M car!

I didn't know that. Changes my opinion of this car in a big way. Looks like Vette it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I'm appalled at the fact that some people are willing to even accept ANY form of synthetic sound from a M car!

I didn't know that. Changes my opinion of this car in a big way. Looks like Vette it is.
    I agree, when I want to listen to my poor old V8 M62 roar I just pump the gas and sometimes even open the sun roof or driver's side window... that old bad boy roars FOR REAL

last thing I want when I have Jimi playing is some asshat engine tune as well

2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PureEnthusiast Click here to enlarge

But, the good news is that we've confirmed with BMW Germany that it's a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played. This sound amplification takes place through the M3/M4/s stereo speakers.

Do the speakers send the amplified sound outside as was experimented with some electric cars to prevent pedestrians being run over? catless downpipe without effort anyone ? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Perth YEAH Click here to enlarge

Good god, I forgot how much cars were in my hometown...... I remember paying $31k in 1990 for a Subrau Heritage (ouch)..... the MP4-12c starts at around $260k here in NY

Please say hello to Triggs beach for me
    Yeah car prices (and most other prices) are a bit rough here but overall it's a good place to live.
    Gotta love NY though, one of my favourite places in the world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Twin Turbo I6 3.0L M3 with Ceramic Brake option and ~3300lbs

Glad to see that BMW is finally catching up to me, even if they are a bit down on power still Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

That would mean that a microphone exists in the engine bay somewhere, which leads me to two assumptions;
    A. ^That is not an entirely true statement Click here to enlarge
    B. If there is some sort of a microphone, there should be a way to unplug it and render the system inoperable.

I bet its a live amplification of a prior recording of the S55 engine lol.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone see this recent article comparing V8 M3 and new S6 M4

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...he-M3-V8-2013/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Anyone see this recent article comparing V8 M3 and new S6 M4

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...he-M3-V8-2013/
    That last paragraph is interesting. Claiming turbos smaller than that of the 1m.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Guess the real test if it's pre-recorded will be once people start putting exhausts on their cars, if the sound played inside matches the noise coming from the back.

Also wanted to know if anyone knew the S55 turbo specs? All I know is they're electronic WGs. If that article is correct, it'll be interesting to see how much power just a tune will add before they've been maxed out.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@BoostAddictions Click here to enlarge
    That last paragraph is interesting. Claiming turbos smaller than that of the 1m.
    And quite obviously they don't know what they're talking about. Here's what was already published in the other forum:
    The turbos are larger than those on the N54, just not hugely so. The N54 has two TD03L-10T and the S55 has two TF035HL-13T. The H stands for high flow and the turbine wheel itself is larger. 10T and 13T are the compressor wheel designations respectively as well. They are bigger turbos....how much more power they can make remains to be seen, but they aren't as capable as say RBs.

Looking at compressor maps, the 10Ts are good for around 275 CFM maxed out which makes sense as the two of them on completely maxed out stock turbo cars is up around 480 ish whp. The compressors are also slightly held back by the hotside as well.

I imagine that the hotside will be the limiting factor on the S55 turbos as well and from the compressor maps I can find on the 13T paired with a TD04 hotside (which is bigger and flows better), the CFM appears to be substantially higher at around 350-360. Again, I think the compressors are going to be more hotside limited in stock configuration than the N54 setup, but from what Rob Beck has said, the turbine housings appear to be much more amenable to putting in substantially larger hardware which should make for some pretty cool stock frame upgrades.
    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    And quite obviously they don't know what they're talking about. Here's what was already published in the other forum: Alpina_B3_Lux
    good info ! Also something all the n54 guys comparing have to remember is the top end of the s55 will be way better than the n54. Heads will flow better, cams are more aggressive, stronger valve train / higher rev limit. So even if it had the same turbos it would be more efficient and produce more power just look at what dzenno did with his ported heads/rbs compared to guys just running rb turbos on stock top end. Than the lower weight and dct is also a factor. I have a feeling this car will be epic might have to hold out for it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    stock turbos is just one thing to get through the first few months.. the issue is who will jumpon it first and how easy to swap them out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    And quite obviously they don't know what they're talking about. Here's what was already published in the other forum:
    Alpina_B3_Lux
    Mitsubishi doesn't make a F035HL-13T turbocharger... Does anyone know specifically what turbo the next M3/4 comes with? It's monoscroll, which is interesting.

http://www.mhi.co.jp/en/products/det...formation.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mitsubishi doesn't make a F035HL-13T turbocharger... Does anyone know specifically what turbo the next M3/4 comes with? It's monoscroll, which is interesting.

http://www.mhi.co.jp/en/products/det...formation.html
    In a TT 6cyl application it would have to be monoscroll. A twinscroll would require a very complex manifold design. Although the S63 has some pretty interesting stuff going on with the manifold so who knows.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    In a TT 6cyl application it would have to be monoscroll. A twinscroll would require a very complex manifold design. Although the S63 has some pretty interesting stuff going on with the manifold so who knows.
    Doesn't the N55 have a single twin scroll? I think I gotcha with two turbos - meaning the exhaust pulses on a 6 with two turbos wouldn't make sense? Curious about this - don't know much about FI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Doesn't the N55 have a single twin scroll? I think I gotcha with two turbos - meaning the exhaust pulses on a 6 with two turbos wouldn't make sense? Curious about this - don't know much about FI
    I was bored so I made this. Hopefully it clarifies things for you. First diagram is an N54, second is an N55, 3rd is a hypothetical design

Click here to enlarge

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast