Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BB Flash Read failure

I have been trying to get the BMS pump gas flash onto my car for the last few days. I have a 2008 335xi with JB4 G5 ISO. I had Dinan, but had it removed a few months ago.

I have the JB4 set to map 0, and I have a 15amp charger on the car displaying the voltage. From what I can tell, the voltage never drops below 12.1v. Every time I try to read...about 8 times now...it only takes about 15mins or so and fails at about the same spot 80% through stage 3. I get an invalid read error every time.

I have a brand new BT cable it seems to communicate fine. I have tried both the regular BB flash and the BMS patched version of BB flash. The one weird thing I am getting is that I never get a time to complete message, just the progress bar.

Any ideas? I have include 2 failed logs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm out of ideas. Anyone?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like I have the same problem as this: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-BB-flash-read

So, if that is the case, is there a way to get fully flashed back to stock with INPA remotely or any other way?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dahwich Click here to enlarge
    I have been trying to get the BMS pump gas flash onto my car for the last few days. I have a 2008 335xi with JB4 G5 ISO. I had Dinan, but had it removed a few months ago.

I have the JB4 set to map 0, and I have a 15amp charger on the car displaying the voltage. From what I can tell, the voltage never drops below 12.1v. Every time I try to read...about 8 times now...it only takes about 15mins or so and fails at about the same spot 80% through stage 3. I get an invalid read error every time.

I have a brand new BT cable it seems to communicate fine. I have tried both the regular BB flash and the BMS patched version of BB flash. The one weird thing I am getting is that I never get a time to complete message, just the progress bar.

Any ideas? I have include 2 failed logs.

Disconnect the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes and then reconnect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for log.

What kind of computer/processor.

How long have you left your car on the charger?

Try disconnecting the battery as mentioned before.

Try pulling out the JB4.

These problems are almost always related to the battery some how. 7F 23 means its still processing your request. I've been finding this is due to insufficient power or perhaps the DME being under-powered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Thank you for log.

What kind of computer/processor.
    -Win7 Intel Core i5-2410M

How long have you left your car on the charger?
    -I have left the car until the charger stops and the battery is fully charged

Try disconnecting the battery as mentioned before.
    -I will try this...

Try pulling out the JB4.
    -This is a lot of work when generally people aren't having problems with JB4s as long as they are set to map0 for correct canbus communication

These problems are almost always related to the battery some how. 7F 23 means its still processing your request. I've been finding this is due to insufficient power or perhaps the DME being under-powered.

-What about what Terry suggested that Dinan is somehow leaving the read lock on the ECU even after it has been flashed back to stock by the dealership?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It seems the people having problems have Dinan flashes. If you have Dinan software then...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What about what Terry suggested that Dinan is somehow leaving the read lock on the ECU even after it has been flashed back to stock by the dealership?
    Possible, but AFAIK this is just speculation. I don't know everything of course. I would suspect something else first. There are others who have flashed ex-Dinan vehicles if my memory serves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still no luck...Fully charged battery, disconnected for over an hour and exactly the same problem 10-15min read full of 7F 23 with a failed to validate at the end. It really does seem like something is blocking the reads on the ECU.

Is there any way that my computer could be causing the 7F 23 error? I doubt it, I have everything closed, nothing else running, my computer is pretty spotless, so there shouldn't be anything conflicting.

So if this is an ECU read lock problem, what are my options? Someone mentioned reflashing/redefaulting my ECU with INPA. Otherwise is there anyway that BB flash could write a really simple patch that just clears the read lock bit or something like that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have you tried another computer just in case? Likely not it but a variable to try.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Still no luck...Fully charged battery, disconnected for over an hour and exactly the same problem 10-15min read full of 7F 23 with a failed to validate at the end. It really does seem like something is blocking the reads on the ECU.

Is there any way that my computer could be causing the 7F 23 error? I doubt it, I have everything closed, nothing else running, my computer is pretty spotless, so there shouldn't be anything conflicting.

So if this is an ECU read lock problem, what are my options? Someone mentioned reflashing/redefaulting my ECU with INPA. Otherwise is there anyway that BB flash could write a really simple patch that just clears the read lock bit or something like that?
    If you want to roll the dice you could try writing one of our canned BINs. They may have blocked the read out but did not block the write. Then if that fails you'd have to reflash via INPA to restore it. If it worked, you are good to go. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Possible, but AFAIK this is just speculation. I don't know everything of course. I would suspect something else first. There are others who have flashed ex-Dinan vehicles if my memory serves.
    I've seen enough Dinan cars fail read now that I'd call it a pretty good educated guess. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    If you want to roll the dice you could try writing one of our canned BINs. They may have blocked the read out but did not block the write. Then if that fails you'd have to reflash via INPA to restore it. If it worked, you are good to go. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Terry, yeah I might try that, but first I think I'll wait for my INPA cable to arrive Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Terry, yeah I might try that, but first I think I'll wait for my INPA cable to arrive Click here to enlarge
    I'd try to reflash to stock with INPA then see if read works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I've seen enough Dinan cars fail read now that I'd call it a pretty good educated guess. Click here to enlarge

I've seen a few of these problems already, so you may be right. I could swear I saw someone who was Dinan get it working however.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd try to reflash to stock with INPA then see if read works.
    We know that will work. But before doing that he should try a write with the canned BIN. I'm curious if it will work. Dinan cars already have their factory BMW warranty voided anyway so it's not like he needs the factory BIN for anything, and he could always flash w/ INPA down the road if he did. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm willing to try the write first, but if it fails I can't afford to have a car that doesn't work. So I need my INPA cable and to talk to Wedge about getting setup to flash to stock if I need to.

That being said, my voltage seems fine and I am D-CAN so how likely is it that the write would fail? What else causes failed writes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Write would fail if DINAN also disabled the routines we're using somehow. The INPA flash uses a different mechanism all together to flash and can't be disabled AFAIK. The INPA flash increments the internal flash counter.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So does that mean that it would just fail to write if Dinan disabled it, and it wouldn't mess up the car, or who knows?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It means who knows. Maybe they allow the delete command and not the write command. Then you'd be stranded. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys Know I'm having the same problem with the Cobb. After speaking with one of their reps he said the cobb blocks the read but not the writing and that I could do a write. Not sure if Dinan is the same or not? But that wld mean without that read you wouldn't have a stck bin to flash back to correct? The initial writing becomes in a sense your stock flash? I am asking not entirely sure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fwiw on my car I usually have to do full writes by selecting "force write", the other options like to throw me errors before even starting. The first one usually fails, causing me to have to unplug the battery for a minute or so then try again. Although the car won't run after one of those force write fails, it does accept a normal write afterwards. I've had to do it that way twice, so if the force fails you may wanna try one or two more times before giving up. Mines a 07 that is finicky it seems though, usually don't get battery voltage or at least one other field.

I have now found that if I fiddle with it enough I don't have to force it anymore, but just wanted to throw that out there for when you go and try since the inpa reflash takes some time to say the least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeWell, being Friday night and figuring I had the entire weekend to fix any screw ups, I decided to go crazy and write the BMS pump flash without being able to read my ECU. It worked perfectly! It took 32mins. I had the charger on the whole time and had no problems. The car absolutely flies now! The flash really seemed to clear up the horrible timing drops that I was getting before!

Great work Terry!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No balls no babies. Glad it worked out OP!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeWell, being Friday night and figuring I had the entire weekend to fix any screw ups, I decided to go crazy and write the BMS pump flash without being able to read my ECU. It worked perfectly! It took 32mins. I had the charger on the whole time and had no problems. The car absolutely flies now! The flash really seemed to clear up the horrible timing drops that I was getting before!

Great work Terry!
    Sweet! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast