Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

For those with lightweight flywheels..

Do you have ANY vibration you can feel while decelerating (foot off throttle, no brakes)...I get some vibration from about 3000rpm to 2500rpm and only in this range ... Thinking this might be the single mass lightweight flywheel I put in very recently...for me happens in 2nd, 3rd, 4th (less pronounced) and 6th (loudest)... There's no vibration if I rev the car in neutral, 1st or 5th...

Does this even make sense that it's the flywheel and torsional vibrations...as soon as you touch throttle it goes away...

Other than this the clutch/fly work amazing...

UPDATE: issue was related to damaged rear halfshafts and binding CV joints on them...after breaking one of them, got them remanufactured/upgraded by DSS and all vibrations/issues are GONE! Click here to enlarge glad its none of the issues I thought it was originally especially not my lightweight flywheel...i love that thing Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 11-01-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kind of an odd rpm spot for chatter from the flywheel. It only happens when it has load?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes...and only on decel...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had cars with aluminum flywheel and didn't have that problem. It seems that something is ether not balanced or something is not installed correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could be but hard to tell without swapping back to OEM...pretty sure its not the install, a really good rep shop did it that i trust A LOT...they've done quite a bit of work on my car and never messed anything up...also, if you don't install it properly there'd be other major issues (not being able to get into gear, car vibrating all the time, clutch pedal getting stuck, etc etc)...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I was at the track yesterday and did a bunch of 1/4 mile passes, got into the 11s, bunch of sub 2.0 (one 1.675sec) launches and an 11.9sec@119 pass, this car's record run...vibration is still there, not stronger/harder, its the same...just seems like if something was really that bad it would've broken already, ESPECIALLY yesterday....

browsing tonight i came across this forum/thread:
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/driv...vibration.html

It struck me how similar a sitation all these guys had to mine...vibration felt from "rear" on decel only...all had an upgraded clutch and lightweight flywheel combo...seems that an unbalanced setup where the clutch/flywheel weren't balanced together would cause this...also just the fact that the lighter than stock flywheel was used is also mentioned as a cause...one guy even had a crankshaft failure on his...sucks...

what i found as biggest surprise that after switching back to the OEM/heavier flywheel the issue went away completely...

I'm thinking of trying my OEM flywheel, if the vibration goes away it'll be awesome that its been fixed but it'll reaaaally suck a$$ due to all the money/time wasted...on top of that I really like the increased throttle response with the flywheel and it really feels like the car has better acceleration with it...

is there any way to check this balance and make it balanced? how much would that typically cost and what machine would a shop need to have to do this properly?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I'm thinking of trying my OEM flywheel, if the vibration goes away it'll be awesome that its been fixed but it'll reaaaally suck a$$ due to all the money/time wasted...on top of that I really like the increased throttle response with the flywheel and it really feels like the car has better acceleration with it...
    Basically, that is what it would take but is it really worth it? You have already gone pretty far with it so it may be personally worth it to you due to how much time you have already invested. You sound like you want to see it through and the flywheel is pretty much all that is left to check, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: issue was related to damaged rear halfshafts and binding CV joints on them...after breaking one of them, got them remanufactured/upgraded by DSS and all vibrations/issues are GONE! Click here to enlarge glad its none of the issues I thought it was originally especially not my lightweight flywheel...i love that thing Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Dzenno - couple of ?'s

Aesthitics, etc. - do you have HFC's on your AE exhaust? As you know, I'm 6mt. It drones badly from 17 to 21 rpms. I will get some resonators at this point to appease the wife... I'm cool with the noise... but the AR CL dps with stock exhaust was the best sound to this point. I like the AE exhaust, but, they SHOULD not advertise it as being drone free. I would have gone with a much cheaper option and still received a free flowing exhaust with this noise being well documeted, again, a fail for e90 and the truth... (( yes Belarus, I read your stuff...). But, you were a small voice vs. the AE fanboy' that can't hear correctly. $#@! anyone that flames this, put your money where your mouth is....Just buy my exhaust if you love it so much... I will sell it at discount.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Awesome Click here to enlarge Glad you finally figured it out was probably driving you crazy.