Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Millennials Not into Tunning or modifying cars?

I'm 25 years old and currently going to school to get my RN degree.

I did a speech today in class about Tunning and modifying cars. The class is around 20 people and half males. I had their attention for the intro and then it was blank stares.

None of them knew what I was honestly talking about. I was using basic terms suspension, breaks, body roll, 1/4 mile times, emergency maneuvers and 60 mph - 0 feet stoppage. it felt like I was talking to a wall.

Only one kid (he's 18) knew what I was talking about.

They had no clue what idea of "fast" was. All they knew was name brand american cars or performance branded american cars for the most part.

has the kids younger than I gone into more show and no go. Body kits and loud stereo systems?

Or am I just crazy?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly I think it's always been that way. I come across a lot older people who are the same way. Not everybody is a car nut. I'm 22. I do think the people in our generation care more about aesthetic mods. They care more about what other people think, and it requires little to no knowledge to set up a good looking car. All the people I meet think its too much work to go fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    I'm 25 years old and currently going to school to get my RN degree.

I did a speech today in class about Tunning and modifying cars. The class is around 20 people and half males. I had their attention for the intro and then it was blank stares.

None of them knew what I was honestly talking about. I was using basic terms suspension, breaks, body roll, 1/4 mile times, emergency maneuvers and 60 mph - 0 feet stoppage. it felt like I was talking to a wall.

Only one kid (he's 18) knew what I was talking about.

They had no clue what idea of "fast" was. All they knew was name brand american cars or performance branded american cars for the most part.

has the kids younger than I gone into more show and no go. Body kits and loud stereo systems?

Or am I just crazy?
    The majority of people don't know anything about cars.

I tried giving speeches about car related topics in college. One was about keeping drag strips open and somebody raised their hand and asked me why anyone would want to race their car at all. If I could do it over again I literally would have walked over to the person, slapped them, and dropped the class.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Honestly I think it's always been that way. I come across a lot older people who are the same way. Not everybody is a car nut. I'm 22. I do think the people in our generation care more about aesthetic mods. They care more about what other people think, and it requires little to no knowledge to set up a good looking car. All the people I meet think its too much work to go fast.
    Most people just want their car to impress. Most men just want an expensive big name brand car to get girls panties off. I want my car so fast the acceleration sucks their panties off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't have much perspective since I'm only 30, but my perception is that it's worse now. Cars used to be much easier to work on and now people are scared to do basic maintenance... which leaves any modification out of the question.
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWil335i Click here to enlarge
    I don't have much perspective since I'm only 30, but my perception is that it's worse now. Cars used to be much easier to work on and now people are scared to do basic maintenance... which leaves any modification out of the question.
    To be honest, I think it's better quality tuning now. Thanks to the internet people know what to buy and what to tune. Also, most cars are going turbo so I think we will see more people tuning.

I think it's just the average person doesn't know/care. Car forums have changed the tuning world really.

Cars are harder to work on but we're in a horsepower golden age gentlemen. This is it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Cars are harder to work on but we're in a horsepower golden age gentlemen. This is it.
    I whole heartily agree. I think it's better than the 60's and early 70's american muscle craze. People just don't see it. You can literally buy a performance machine in almost any price range. Everything has a bang for buck niche or all out crazy car and just make it crazier. There is so much selection from 2006 + that are all reasonable used that can become monsters. It all depends on what an individual wants to do.

As for basic maintenance why would you learn it when you have 5 years no service charge standard from buying the damn thing.

By the time a person is done with a car in 5 years they're ready to buy a newer/different car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What amazes me is the lack of understanding about driving physics. Dont you think its important to know how to operate a car at its limits before you need to in an emergency situation?

When it comes to tuning and modifying, I find alot of people who want to impress and pretend to know about tuning, cars, and going fast. If you actually know your stuff when it comes to cars, its painful to listen to. Correcting them makes you look like the smartass though so I just let it go haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Correcting them makes you look like the smartass though so I just let it go haha.
    I don't let it go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There was a recent study where Millennials were asked about their ideal car. Apparently, being social is a top priority and the consensus was an affordable, good looking car (not minivan nor suv) that can haul 6 (not 7) people comfortably while being environmentaly friendly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hifiguy@gaphix Click here to enlarge
    There was a recent study where Millennials were asked about their ideal car. Apparently, being social is a top priority and the consensus was an affordable, good looking car (not minivan nor suv) that can haul 6 (not 7) people comfortably while being environmentaly friendly.
    the 6 passenger part is the ringer. jetta tdi otherwise

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hifiguy@gaphix Click here to enlarge
    They didn't ask me. I want my car to seat 1 (center) with a huge motor. Open cockpit F1 style is a bonus.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    because no one mods a prius or brings it to the drag strip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like the return of the sliding front bench seat!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    the 6 passenger part is the ringer. jetta tdi otherwise

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No worries, just makes us gearheads more rare of a breed.

I did an awesome project in college on the correlation of extensive car attributes and nurburgring lap times. Statistical analysis' and everything. I was so involved in the project. I spent weeks researching cars and lap times. Come time to present, I get the same blank stares from people who are clueless of the terms/jargon I was using.

Teacher loved it though, got an A.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    I think it's better than the 60's and early 70's american muscle craze.
    Apples and Oranges. The only constant is the gearheads and motorheads have the same passion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWil335i Click here to enlarge
    But they aren't and they're not really

I mean, in some ways, to an extent...

I've tinkered with some early 90's cars, late 90's cars, and 2 mid 70's cars.. and late 2000's

the 2 mid 70's (celica, 260z) had ASSLOADS of space in their bays, so in that respect, yes, easy!.... in terms of doing a specific job? replace valve cover gasket? ehh not really..

suspension wise? same deal, shocks and springs are shocks and springs :/

I guess i just grew up with the current level of 'complexity'.. but when i look back on the older stuff i just see.. engine.. radiator.. transmission.. diff... etc.
    boop