Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

E92 335i stuttering very bad, help needed

Hey guys,

About 10 days ago my car started to act really weird, never did this before. And it looks like it gets worse everyday now.
    Especially on idle when cold the car stutters like crazy. It goes up to 2000rpm, then 400rm, 1000rpm etc etc. Then (sometimes) the engine light (reduced engine power) will come on and it idles ok. Sometimes the engine light comes on when just cruising.

I then restart the car and most of the time everything is fine again. Really weird.

I checked for codes about 5 times the last 10 days and i ALWAYS have the 29F2 - fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure and 2EF7 - characteristic diagram thermostat, controls

Today i got the following codes:

2EF7 characteristic diagram thermostat, controls
    2DED power management standy current control
    29DC cylinder injection switch off
    29F2 fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure

Can someone please tell me whats going on?
    Im guessing i need a new HPFP but im not sure since im not a mechanic at all.

My mods at the moment are only JB4 G5 ISO (26.5 hex) and BMS DCI. Sometimes im using a mix of 60 or 75% 102OCT mixed with 40 or 25% E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Mileage?
    You definitely shouldn't be driving around with these sorts of codes.
    Do you have any aftermarket electronics? Stereo / alarms / radar detectors / gps?
    Depending on mileage carbon/intake manifold cleaning
    Depending on mileage your LPFP (Low Pressure Fuel Pump) might need to be replaced
    You may need a new HPFP

More details please Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Car has 97000 km. No aftermarket electronics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob S. Click here to enlarge
    Car has 97000 km. No aftermarket electronics.
    The best advice for you is;
    Remove the JB4 and reverse any DCI or other modifications.
    Make sure your codes are cleared.

Reproduce the codes without your tune.

Take your car to a dealership. They will diagnose the issue; likely your HPFP is dead and they will replace it under warranty. The HPFP has an extended warranty up over 100,000 miles. Confirm with a service adviser as this may be different in Canada.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That wont work since i live in Holland. Unfortunately we dont have that kind of warranty here so taking it to the dealer is not an option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Had the same thing happen on my 2008 335i a few weeks ago, replaced the fuel pump myself took about 2 hours, runs great now. Replaced it with part number 13517616170. I do my own work, don't trust the BMW service department, paid $205 for my pump with 2 year warranty. Here is the BT data from the fuel pumps. You can see engine goes into limp mode with HP rail pressure drops to 66 psi then tank pressure line jumps to 124 psi, looks like the fuel control valve on the HPFP fails sending high pressure fuel back into low pressure line. Once the RPMs drop the fuel control valve recovers and the HP rail jumps back up over 1000 PSI.

Click here to enlarge
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My car did the same thing to me twice. I'm only running JB4 and a mixture of E85 @35-40% and the rest are 93 Octane. I have went though several mixture of E85/93 tanks with success. However goes stuttering started to appear.
    --The first time, I remove the JB4, and change the spark plugs, since I figure its about time anyway, car was at 48k mileage. Car was working normal again, after 2 tank of regular gas, Slap JB4 back on and it was running great again.
    --Second time, immediately happen once I fill up the tank with E93. No matter what map I was using on JB4 it will stutter, even with map 0 (stock like form.) Problem went away when I remove JB4.

As of right now, car is running great and no JB4 added. I'm looking to do some pre-maintenance than will throw JB4 on and see how it goes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

@Rob S. update? You may have to visit the dealer regardless warranty or no warranty.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I will bring my car to a local shop on monday. He thought it was the fuel pump or coils.

The car also made a weird noise, especially when cold. Apparently that is a bushing from the dynamo or water pump.

I will report back as soon as i know more.