Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Difference between DME versions? Bought 2nd n54 car and it feels like a slug

Let me preface this by saying that i bought my 135i last year with a dinan tune, afe intake, and dinan rear section so i haven't driven a stock n54 car in a long long time (like 2008)

Drove it like that for 10k or so, then added a JB+ stacked with it and experimented with adding some e85 here and there. Final setup was running default on top of the dinan flash for ~15.95 psi and running e30 blend. Car ran like a champ, pulled freakishly hard, no complaints over another 8k miles

That being said i know the dinan tune in itself is a conservative tune and roughly in line with the gains i would see with a jb+ by itself and falls short of the jb4 and other options on the market

Fast forward 9 months - we just picked up an 07 335i 6 speed for my girlfriend with 40k on it. It felt slow and laggy but i figured maybe that was normal. The power is definitely there but it lacks the punch of the other car. Being the nice guy that i am, the next day i decided to take off my jb+ and give it to her figuring that would put her roughly in line with the dinan tune on the other car based on dyno charts that i have seen

Have the JB+ on the 335, still feels slow compared to the other car. no matter the setting. The torque curve of whatever software is on that car sucks. I can easily spin through 2nd gear in the 135, sometimes into 3rd if i flat foot shift depending on weather. I could barely break loose in first on the 335.
    I drove both back to back, hers with the JB+ and mine on just the dinan with jb removed and there was no comparison

Thinking that her car is one of the cars affected by the laggy software update and being what it is there is no way that the JB+ can change that, i may have to resort to jb4 or a flash. The car just has no balls

Is there any quick and easy fix or anything i should look for? Will the solenoid bypass help anything?

Thanks in advance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get a BT cable and flash it. I rent mine out if you need one temporarily.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so let me understand this - you are comparing a dinan+jb+ stack vs a jb+ only?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, i took the JB+ off so one car is using that now and the other is on the dinan flash only now. The car with the dinan flash, which according to most people is pretty weak, kicks much harder right now. The car has what i can only describe as lag while the other is near instantaneous.

Lulz i was thinking about it but i suck at anything involving computers so i have held off. they make me lose my temper and break things

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    No, i took the JB+ off so one car is using that now and the other is on the dinan flash only now. The car with the dinan flash, which according to most people is pretty weak, kicks much harder right now. The car has what i can only describe as lag while the other is near instantaneous.

Lulz i was thinking about it but i suck at anything involving computers so i have held off. they make me lose my temper and break things
    Leave the JB/Dinan stack on your car and buy your GF a COBB tune. You can pick one up for around $450 now. Plug it in press some buttons and you're good to go in 10-12 mins. You can also read codes on your GF's car. Might have bad plugs/injectors or is in need of a walnut blast.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Dinan tune by itself is still gonna be a little more "potent" than the JB+ tune, chances are Dinan revised (very conservatively) the Timing/Fueling/Boost strategy and it still outpowers the JB+, which only adds 3-5 psi of boost.

Get a COBB AccessPORT, upload the Stage 1 Sport map and you'll really waken up the N54. Chances are it'll be right on par with your 135, and if you were to add an FMIC you could get you in the upper 300s WHP with a quality PROtune while staying emissions compliant:
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it's that laggy I'd look at getting the intake cleaned. Wouldn't hurt to check plugs either to see what condition it's in.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    remember another big part of flash tunes vs stock is a huge gain in power under the curve, not just peak. The stock tunes deliberately hold the turbos back in early rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hay @manbeer Click here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Oh hai Chris!

My car has been running like crap in the morning so i just went and checked my vin for the injector recall campaign and i think i figured out why it feels so much faster

The Registration lists the weight as 3190. It's a completely bare bones base model so i had no idea how much lighter it was. Almost 400lbs difference plus this car has non runflats vs the heavy runflats on the 335

Pretty sure thats where the majority of the difference lies. I was always under the impression that the weight difference was only like 150lbs but i guess thats between equally optioned cars, not a stripped 135 vs a fully loaded 335

EDIT- Did the solenoid bypass on the 335 and added dci's and its feeling much better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to hear buddy!
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge