Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Roadforce Balancing

    Anyone actually pay for this? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $40.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Points
    1,687.9
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My understanding is that a roadforce balance isn't necessary if you're not experiencing any vibration issues, it's simply a different method of balancing. Sometimes, you'll hear about a wheel that doesn't want to balance on a normal balancing machine. If that's the case, a Roadforce balance will sometimes fix the issue.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Points
    17.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Only way to do it. The shops around me won't use anything else because it's the best. It will detect ANY unbalance, no matter how small. I had a bent rim I couldn't see visually, but the balancer picked it up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    After putting up the initial post, I spent a few minutes on Hunter's website checking out the GSP9700. It makes perfect sense (at least to me) to balance with a simulated load vs. no load, but I was just wondering how much difference it really made in practice. Hunter really sells it. And although my wheels are perfectly balanced via standard practice, I still have a small vibration. I'm hoping a roadforce shop can correct for smaller imperfections.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Points
    1,687.9
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    After putting up the initial post, I spent a few minutes on Hunter's website checking out the GSP9700. It makes perfect sense (at least to me) to balance with a simulated load vs. no load, but I was just wondering how much difference it really made in practice. Hunter really sells it. And although my wheels are perfectly balanced via standard practice, I still have a small vibration. I'm hoping a roadforce shop can correct for smaller imperfections.
    For $10 a wheel it really isn't that expensive, especially if you have a small vibration you want to get rid of.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    For $10 a wheel it really isn't that expensive, especially if you have a small vibration you want to get rid of.
    Honestly, it's less about the $40 and more about the time spent twiddling my thumbs while they do it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Points
    1,687.9
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, it's less about the $40 and more about the time spent twiddling my thumbs while they do it.
    I know how you feel all to well. If the vibrations annoys you I would get it done.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2087 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Sorry but this is the first I heard of this.

    How does it differ from normal balancing exactly? This is some different machine/method? Everyone is not able to do it?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,294
    Rep Points
    1,637.4
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We have a Hunter roadforce 9700 balancer.

    Its better than any balancer in any dealership on the north side of Houston lololololol

    (imagine a little indy shop like us being able to have BETTER equipment than some multi-million dollar stealership lol)


    in any case- YES it makes a HUGE difference between normal balances and road force balances.

    in a nutshell, it uses a loaded wheel and pushes against the tire as its spinning to simulate it being on a vehicle. It then knows the carcass hardness, and knows of any issues in the tire its self.

    It can measure rim out of round and warpage, then know the tire condition- and suggest what to do to make them cancel each other out.


    so you measure the rim first- then road force- then occasionally have to dismount the tire and match it to a spot on the rim it tells you to put it, then measure it again.

    it also has straight track- which will roadforce and tell you where to put each tire so it has the least radial pull.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Points
    17.1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    We have a Hunter roadforce 9700 balancer.

    Its better than any balancer in any dealership on the north side of Houston lololololol

    (imagine a little indy shop like us being able to have BETTER equipment than some multi-million dollar stealership lol)


    in any case- YES it makes a HUGE difference between normal balances and road force balances.

    in a nutshell, it uses a loaded wheel and pushes against the tire as its spinning to simulate it being on a vehicle. It then knows the carcass hardness, and knows of any issues in the tire its self.

    It can measure rim out of round and warpage, then know the tire condition- and suggest what to do to make them cancel each other out.


    so you measure the rim first- then road force- then occasionally have to dismount the tire and match it to a spot on the rim it tells you to put it, then measure it again.

    it also has straight track- which will roadforce and tell you where to put each tire so it has the least radial pull.
    So, yea. The only way to do it. Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Points
    962.8
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Alex@abr pretty much covered everything. All ill say is after using it once on my car ill never go back to another balancer the car is silky smooth to 185+

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    I have an appointment on 14 October to have this done. Unfortunately, my work schedule makes it really hard for me to get to some of these shops when they are open. The place I'm going to is only open 7-5 M-F, and they don't take RoadForce balance appointments after 3pm.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    641
    Rep Points
    720.8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    This is great information!

    So will any roadforce balancer work? OR should I go around shops looking for a specific type of roadforce balancer?
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,294
    Rep Points
    1,637.4
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    Hunter roadforce 9700 balancer
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    641
    Rep Points
    720.8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Since this is on topic, what would be a good machine to search for when doing wheel alignments!
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,294
    Rep Points
    1,637.4
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    a newer Hunter or something similar. If it has cords going to the heads on the wheels, i would avoid them.



    The guy swinging the wrench makes the difference between a crappy/good/great alignment more than the machine.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    641
    Rep Points
    720.8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    a newer Hunter or something similar. If it has cords going to the heads on the wheels, i would avoid them.



    The guy swinging the wrench makes the difference between a crappy/good/great alignment more than the machine.
    Thanks for the great info!rep
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    FYI, Roadforce couldn't help me. The leftover vibration (after straightening wheels and replacing warped rotors) is apparently the result of cupping on the tires. I believe the cupping started while the tires were on the cheap knockoffs that bent in the first 1000 miles and just hasn't gotten better. Of the four corners, only one was within Roadforce tolerance when I got to the shop. And only one of the other three improved but still isn't in tolerance. So I have to replace the tires. Oh, well. 22K the way I drive isn't too bad. S04 Pole Positions to the rescue!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    336
    Rep Points
    309.1
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    [QUOTE=alex@ABRhouston;505046]a newer Hunter or something similar. If it has cords going to the heads on the wheels, i would avoid them. QUOTE]

    I get to use one of those. Not fun when I was used to a top of the line hunter machine.

    It never ceases to amaze me what dealers will cheap out on. :/

    I would also suggest to anyone who needs tires mounted on expensive/non repairable wheels to make sure you get them done on a Hunter Auto34 machine. Anything else you always run the risk of damage if the tech running the machine isnt 100% perfect.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Points
    2,017.5
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Anyone actually pay for this? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $40.
    It's worth the extra money if you regularly drive in the triple digit range - talking long periods of time here. If you don't mind an unpleasant tremor in your steering wheel at these speeds, I would be willing to say you shouldn't be driving at these speeds to begin with. Click here to enlarge

    If you have shake from a rotor warp, best to get some better rotors (M rotors - or a 2 piece from another BMW) - it will come back over and over, they cheaped out on the 3 series IMO.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    If you have shake from a rotor warp, best to get some better rotors (M rotors - or a 2 piece from another BMW) - it will come back over and over, they cheaped out on the 3 series IMO.
    I've already replaced the rotors with StopTech factory replacements. They're a little better than the OEM and will get me by until I put the Brembos on. I drive a Mercedes, so the M rotors won't work for me. Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Points
    22.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A road force balancer is only as good as the guy using it. Don't just assume because the shop advertises that they have one that it'll be any good. It's like a dyne, just because the shop has a dyne doesn't mean that they can tune.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CaliBenz Click here to enlarge
    A road force balancer is only as good as the guy using it. Don't just assume because the shop advertises that they have one that it'll be any good. It's like a dyne, just because the shop has a dyne doesn't mean that they can tune.
    The shop I went to is very reputable and, to be very honest, the results weren't unexpected. I ran those tires too long on those old bent wheels (probably 2000 miles or so) before remounting on the BBS'. Anyway, I'm ordering a new set of Bridgestone S04 Pole Positions and I'll have them roadforce-mounted when they arrive.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    6.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I will not have any of my wheels on any car from my beater to my Higher end cars balanced on anything but a Roadforce. It truly is that much better of a balance. There are other benefits to Hunters balancers also like smart weight system that helps achieve placing the correct weight in the correct spot. Also it helps to avoid what is called weight chasing.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    6.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I also agree with this. You need to go to a shop that has very good recommendations. I would search hunters website for shops in your area that have a road force Balancer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •