Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BB Flash Problem - Car stalls and I can't drive it. Help

I went to do BB flash, plugged in a battery charger to the car and the laptop. It said it was taking like 3 hours just to READ which seemed really weird. So 5 hours in, I unplugged it because it wasn't moving. After I did this I started my car and I couldn't go into my jb4 through steering or usb cable, and also after about 15sec of the car being on, it would just basically cut fuel and stall.

So I ended up plugging in another laptop, voltage meter was good on the interface and I ended up reading my car (hour or so) and writing the e85 map to my car(15mins or so).

When I started the car with the g5 in again the same thing happened it would start and just stall after about 10-15sec. And I still couldn't get into the jb4 through steering wheel or usb. I plugged my g4 in, and it started up, and there was a ton of smoke coming out of my exhaust (i figured because I didn't change my settings on my g4 to 0). It smelled like pure e85 but it ran and I could enter the jb4 menu. Then I plugged g5 back in and same thing happened where it would stall and couldn't access g5 through USB or the steering wheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like the ECU is in read or programming mode. Have you tried unplugging your battery for a few minutes and letting the ECU reset?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EvanL Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like the ECU is in read or programming mode. Have you tried unplugging your battery for a few minutes and letting the ECU reset?
    I unplugged my battery for about 10-15mins before I re-read/wrote the new file. Maybe I'll just unplug it again and see if the g5 works after that. But it just doesn't make sense why I can access the g4 and not the g5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Provide your logs people.

Secondly, the car will not start if its in programming mode.

Lastly, if you only did a read, the car does not enter programming mode. I think something else is up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Provide your logs people.

Secondly, the car will not start if its in programming mode.

Lastly, if you only did a read, the car does not enter programming mode. I think something else is up.
    I figured logs wouldn't do anything in this instance. That and it was 3am and I really didn't want to work on the car anymore. I'm gonna go home tonight, take the tune out, flash it back to stock and see what happens. If it's normal, then I'll just plug the g5 in. Then trial and error my life away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does the car run/drive ok with the JB4 out completely? Maybe in the process of removing it something shorted or a wire/contact got bent/damaged, or maybe something with the charger damaged something. I'd start by removing the piggyback, if the car runs ok check all the wiring and reinstall carefully.

Good luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in the process of going back to stock as we speak. I'll post an update later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: I flashed my car back to stock and put the g4 board in. The car started, and ran perfectly. I could also access the jb4 through the steering wheel which was good.

Then I decided to put the g5 back in to see what would happen on stock flash, and the car would start, and then stall after a couple seconds. I couldn't access the g5 through the wheel either.

I'm guessing i'll just send it back to BMS to see if they can find anything wrong with it.

And a quick shout-out to BMS for the help late last night in regards to the jb4. World class customer service.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Think you might have done something to the G5 board when you let the car "read" for 5 hours?
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wtfmarine Click here to enlarge
    Think you might have done something to the G5 board when you let the car "read" for 5 hours?
    That would have zero effect on the JB4 afaik. Reading for long periods of time is only stressful on the battery.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like the g5 died, maybe just coincidence?
    2008 E93 MHD, HPF IC, Injen Intake
    2016 X5 35i JB Stage 1
    2013 C63 Eurocharged V6

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Weird but Terry will take care of whatever it is so no worries. Main thing is you got the car started and isolated it.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry will definitely take care of you..He is by far the best vendor on the planet in respect to CS...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I know if the BB flash is taking 5 hours to read, I am 99% sure you didn't set the JB4 to Map 0. Also just to make sure, you aren't using the same harness for the G4 and G5 boards are you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by igotag Click here to enlarge
    I know if the BB flash is taking 5 hours to read, I am 99% sure you didn't set the JB4 to Map 0. Also just to make sure, you aren't using the same harness for the G4 and G5 boards are you?
    Interesting point here on the map 0 I didn't even consider that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Interesting point here on the map 0 I didn't even consider that.
    Not saying that I can't follow directions or anything... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some computers, namely intel based, report 5+ hours when working with 2007 cars regardless of having a JB4 or not, much less map 0, but that would cause that sort of issue. I'm pretty sure he had mentioned he was in map 0 though. Also, the G4 and G5 can use the same harness generally speaking, only some people had to modify their harness for the G5 install depending on how the G4 was wired for one input.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: I sent my g5 into BMS and the day they got it in the mail, they send me this email..."Replaced a faulty component on the board, and updated the boost transistor to the newer one, and new enclosure"

BMS has the best CS I've ever dealt with. I truly appreciate everything they've done for me the past couple of years I've had my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maristgrad09 Click here to enlarge
    UPDATE: I sent my g5 into BMS and the day they got it in the mail, they send me this email..."Replaced a faulty component on the board, and updated the boost transistor to the newer one, and new enclosure"

BMS has the best CS I've ever dealt with. I truly appreciate everything they've done for me the past couple of years I've had my car.
    As it should be. Glad to hear you were taken care of.