Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batch 2 update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VargasTurboTech

Good stuff Tony, can't wait. BTW, will you be selling or at least have a parts list for an install "kit" for the turbos? I found an install kit for stock turbos, assuming that will work but not sure what all is necessary.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurboTech

Good stuff Tony, can't wait. BTW, will you be selling or at least have a parts list for an install "kit" for the turbos? I found an install kit for stock turbos, assuming that will work but not sure what all is necessary.
    Install list is exactly the same as stock. You can get the parts from your local dealer, or ECS, etc. We were may start offering the install kits in the future, its just a whole lot of extra parts to stock and right now we are swamped as it is.

Here is the full kit: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...994/ES2501019/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Install list is exactly the same as stock. You can get the parts from your local dealer, or ECS, etc. We were may start offering the install kits in the future, its just a whole lot of extra parts to stock and right now we are swamped as it is.

Here is the full kit: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...994/ES2501019/
    That's the exact kit I was looking at before. Thanks T!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I bought this stuff when I replace my turbos. You don't really need the studs or nuts for the manifolds. I would also just go and buy the silicon vacuum tubing instead of messing with the stock stuff.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Cart/?add1=...tent=link2cart

You could substitute Viton o-rings for the stock Buna-N material o-rings. Viton has a higher temperature rating.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a good idea to replace the vacuum lines while you're in there too since one is really tough to get to
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    It's a good idea to replace the vacuum lines while you're in there too since one is really tough to get to
    Is that really necessary? I wouldn't think of them going bad...I only have 40k on the car. even at 60-70k I'd think they last no?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I bought this stuff when I replace my turbos. You don't really need the studs or nuts for the manifolds. I would also just go and buy the silicon vacuum tubing instead of messing with the stock stuff.

You could substitute Viton o-rings for the stock Buna-N material o-rings. Viton has a higher temperature rating.
    Thanks man, going to talk to my installer about the studs, I'm thinking they might be a good idea though. I dunno, I'm always more about overkill then just getting by, but that list is awesome, appreciate the time and help.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is that really necessary? I wouldn't think of them going bad...I only have 40k on the car. even at 60-70k I'd think they last no?
    It's easy to do, I'd do it just to be safe. Mine were pretty bad at 90k. It's not necessary but it's a pain in the ass if you have a leak down there later on.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I dunno, I'm always more about overkill then just getting by

There ya go.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    It's easy to do, I'd do it just to be safe. Mine were pretty bad at 90k. It's not necessary but it's a pain in the ass if you have a leak down there later on.
    I agree. The vacuum lines running from the actuators to the solenoids are a PITA to replace with the turbos installed. I had to replace mine at 70K because they were dry-rotted. I really don't know where the crack was, so I replaced all the lines. The silicon tubing is about $1/ft and I bought 15 feet. I had a little left over. It's easy/cheap insurance, especially when you start to pull and tug on them to disconnect them during the turbo install.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    There ya go.
    good point...lol

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge

I totally disagree on the studs and nuts, the nuts have locking protrusions inside once they are installed and removed they no longer lock, also the newer studs have more thread length, the studs are literally like .28 cents each. Worth it, but please keep in mind, only use the proper inverse torx to remove them and use spray and tap the ends of tough ones to shock them, if one or 2 do not want to budge DO NOT FORCE THEM they will twist off and snap very easily then you are in for a crap load of headaches and work, it's better to leave 1 or 2 in then break them.

On the other hand I completely agree with Viton orings, we use them exclusively in every turbo we build N54 or otherwise, you pull a buena o-ring that has seen any heat it's flat and breaks apart like plastic. Viton remains soft and pliable. We DO have all the orings needed for the install in stock in Viton. We keep those on hand for installs, the water and feed are 1.00 each(12 needed), drain $3.00(2 needed), charge pipe $6.00 each(2 needed). If you guys need them let me know.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 09-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I totally disagree on the studs and nuts, the nuts have locking protrusions inside once they are installed and removed they no longer lock, also the newer studs have more thread length, the studs are literally like .28 cents each. Worth it, but please keep in mind, only use the proper inverse torx to remove them and use spray and tap the ends of tough ones to shock them, if one or 2 do not want to budge DO NOT FORCE THEM they will twist off and snap very easily then you are in for a crap load of headaches and work, it's better to leave 1 or 2 in then break them.
    I know what you mean about the nuts, they appear to be pressed after they are threaded to give them vibration resistance, but mine still were tight enough to require them to be turned with a ratchet to tighten them down to the manifold before I torqued them. I couldn't turn them by hand except to start them on the studs.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

On the other hand I completely agree with Viton orings, we use them exclusively in every turbo we build N54 or otherwise, you pull a buena o-ring that has seen any heat it's flat and breaks apart like plastic. Viton remains soft and pliable. We DO have all the orings needed for the install in stock in Viton. We keep those on hand for installs, the water and feed are 1.00 each(12 needed), drain $3.00(2 needed), charge pipe $6.00 each(2 needed). If you guys need them let me know.
    You should really put together a do's and don't list for a turbo install. That's some very valuable advice and I know it will certainly help me when the time comes to upgrade to your stage 2's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    You should really put together a do's and don't list for a turbo install. That's some very valuable advice and I know it will certainly help me when the time comes to upgrade to your stage 2's.
    The issue is thats trade secret for a lot of shops. I can respect their experience or findings through trial and error which certainly is not cheap, but yes, a guide would be good Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    The issue is that's trade secret for a lot of shops. I can respect their experience or findings through trial and error which certainly is not cheap, but yes, a guide would be good Click here to enlarge
    We have a PDF guide install guide that we can give to our install centers if they want one, we are also now sending these out with every set of turbos we ship. I said it before and I stand behind it, we do not think N54 turbochargers should be installed by anyone but qualified technicians. There is too many things to go wrong during this install which can result in a botched install or a ruined turbo to chance it on jack stands in your driveway. That is just our opinion. We were going to be more strict with this policy, but decided against it, we will just have to take a self install into consideration for a warranty claim and make sure everything was done correctly in order to honor warranty. I have attached the PDF, its not quite complete, still a semi work in progress, but should help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We have a PDF guide install guide that we can give to our install centers if they want one, we are also now sending these out with every set of turbos we ship. I said it before and I stand behind it, we do not think N54 turbochargers should be installed by anyone but qualified technicians. There is too many things to go wrong during this install which can result in a botched install or a ruined turbo to chance it on jack stands in your driveway. That is just our opinion. We were going to be more strict with this policy, but decided against it, we will just have to take a self install into consideration for a warranty claim and make sure everything was done correctly in order to honor warranty. I have attached the PDF, its not quite complete, still a semi work in progress, but should help.
    Great info Tony, I ordered the full genuine BMW install kit and already have a shop lined up to do the install. Planning on taking out and shipping the stockers to you next week to avoid the hassle of a refund later.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just quick update as I know I haven't posted any in a while, the test car is on the road, there were numerous hold ups while putting it together, quite a few stemmed from getting all the sensors to function properly, the turbo speed sensor is still not working right, I have a direct line with a garret tech guy and he is helping diagnose, Wedge is flashing to the rom I need tomorrow so we can get tuned, car has been on the road since last weekend and have been breaking in clutch, clutch is almost there still needs a few more miles, we should be tuning full bore tomorrow evening.

As far as shipping, again even after changing vendors because my first one was too slow, we wait on one part, the new wastegate flapper, I placed that order over well over 3 months ago and was told 30-45 days, its now been double and I am told I will see the part the end of this week, our hands our tied, we have everything we need to begin building except the flappers, we can't very well send out turbos with no wastegates.

So far the car is running good, we made some modifications to it that have not been tried before, and those were also a source of the hold up, when you are trying to do things that have never been done, you have to work though issues. They are coming, I want to get the car on the dyno and start shipping more than you guys, believe that. As long as all goes well tomorrow - friday the car will be at SS on Saturday. If we run into any problems we prob wont make it to the dyno in time to make the race. We have our fingers crossed that all the issues are behind us.

Just a side note, not a single one of these issues has been turbo related. Fuel system, wiring, getting MAF sensors to fit where there is really no room for one, etc, etc, things like that all add up. Thanks for your patience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just quick update as I know I haven't posted any in a while, the test car is on the road, there were numerous hold ups while putting it together, quite a few stemmed from getting all the sensors to function properly, the turbo speed sensor is still not working right, I have a direct line with a garret tech guy and he is helping diagnose, Wedge is flashing to the rom I need tomorrow so we can get tuned, car has been on the road since last weekend and have been breaking in clutch, clutch is almost there still needs a few more miles, we should be tuning full bore tomorrow evening.

As far as shipping, again even after changing vendors because my first one was too slow, we wait on one part, the new wastegate flapper, I placed that order over well over 3 months ago and was told 30-45 days, its now been double and I am told I will see the part the end of this week, our hands our tied, we have everything we need to begin building except the flappers, we can't very well send out turbos with no wastegates.

So far the car is running good, we made some modifications to it that have not been tried before, and those were also a source of the hold up, when you are trying to do things that have never been done, you have to work though issues. They are coming, I want to get the car on the dyno and start shipping more than you guys, believe that. As long as all goes well tomorrow - friday the car will be at SS on Saturday. If we run into any problems we prob wont make it to the dyno in time to make the race. We have our fingers crossed that all the issues are behind us.

Just a side note, not a single one of these issues has been turbo related. Fuel system, wiring, getting MAF sensors to fit where there is really no room for one, etc, etc, things like that all add up. Thanks for your patience.
    Just curious, what are some other modifications that you have made to the test car? Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12