Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batch 2 update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Batch 2 update

Hey guys, first of all thanks for everyone being so patient while we get these things ready to go, there have been a few things holding us up and we are getting very close to being ready to ship. We of course want to test them on our shop car first. Since we now have a shop car in our possession the thought of just putting them on and getting WHP and WTQ numbers never crossed our minds, there are many many more variables going on here that are all very valuable to gaining knowledge of exactly what these turbos are doing. So we modified out rear turbo to take, not only EGT, we also will be reading Back Pressure, then we went all the way and had the compressor housing modified to accept the Garrett Turbocharger shaft speed sensor. What this means is we will be logging in real time, analog boost, EGT, back pressure, and turbo shaft speed. We said screw it, and didn't stop there. We are also installing a MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) before the charge pipe and will be logging in real time MAF. What this means is, we can now take these logs and see EXACTLY what the turbos are doing at any boost level, as far as Mass Air flow, EGT, back pressure, and see how fast the shaft needs to spin to do this. Couple this with on dyno tuning and you have quite an arsenal of data at your finger tips. The custom machining of the comp cover for the turbo speed sensor has been holding us up on install as the front turbo has been in the car for over a week. We now have everything back and will get the car back on the road to break in the clutch soon.

We were also being held up by our flappers (same as last time). Lame I know, we finally got the samples in today and they are spot on and we should see these about the same time we finish testing, meaning we can start shipping in hopefully about 2-3 weeks.

Below are some pictures of the rear turbo with all the sensors hanging off of it. We built a stand pipe for the back pressure sensor so the hose we are using wouldn't see the direct temp of the housing.

We are excited to start testing and gathering data. All this data will be gathered using the AEM AQ-1 Data logging system and we will be sharing all of it with you guys, all you need to do is download AEM data and you can view the data once we start posting it.

Data is king...Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 09-17-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome! Looking forward to the data you guys can pull out from this. First time it's been done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the update Tony. Looking forward to see the results.
    Spec2+ Clutch, SS SMFW, BMS backend flash, VRSF DPs, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP - Tial BOV, N20 3.5 Bar map sensor, BMS OCC, Walbro 255, Wavetrac LSD, Defiv Diff. lockdown kit, UUC EVO3 and DSSR, AFE DCI, H&R Coilovers, M3 Front control arms, rear arms, rear subframe bushings, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, Michelin PSS 265/35/18 - 235/40/18, Apex ARC-8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure I'll be able to decipher all of the info myself, but it does make me feel good I'm getting turbos from someone who cares this much and is this open with all of their own testing. Good stuff! Click here to enlarge
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Subscribed. Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sweet! Doing it right. You don't really know what's going on unless you look. From something related but different...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I would really really really love to see what happens to shaft speed with pre-turbo meth. As far as I can tell wastegate PWM doesn't change much, but shaft speed might. May be able to get more out of smaller turbos with the preturbo meth. I was testing it, but don't really have the sensor arsenal you have so the results were inconclusive.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is tech discussion.

EDIT:

Hey gaiz, what BOV sounds the best?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    This is tech discussion.

EDIT:

Hey gaiz, what BOV sounds the best?
    The ShivMeister4000 BOV. It's a $#@!-polymer material from right out of Shiv's ass. Smells like roses and releases pressurized gas regularly!

FTW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this looks interesting. I'm looking forward to reviewing this data. I've definitely thought about hanging not only a thermocouple but also a pressure sensor from the bung in my manifold. Thanks for taking the time and money to do this, although as you said you don't really know otherwise and a person in your position should know, but you know this.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dzenno, how long after the turbo release will you have a good starting tune that will be driveable until it can be ProTuned? I know the boost control will likely differ from the stock turbos. Not sure if Cobb OTS will really be driveable in boost after the turbo swap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mj6234 Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, how long after the turbo release will you have a good starting tune that will be driveable until it can be ProTuned? I know the boost control will likely differ from the stock turbos. Not sure if Cobb OTS will really be driveable in boost after the turbo swap.
    I can answer this one from experience. You can swap in upgraded turbos and drive on the stock map of OTS maps just fine, the car will drive like it has stock turbos with no issues. You will need the fuel and tuning to really wake them up though. $#@! I put stage 3 in and drove it around on the stock map to break in the clutch, DME had no idea it had GTX's in there, car was fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mj6234 Click here to enlarge
    It depends on how Tony ends up adjusting the wastegate actuators. If they're set close to stock you'll be able to run the turbos with OTS maps like Tony mentioned. In the case of RBs for instance, as well as some VTT Stage 2 Batch 1, WGDC tables had to be significantly adjusted for WOT operation to not throw codes, overboost, underboost, etc.

Just normal driving/cruising the car will always be fine. Its WOT operation that may need adjustment depending on actuator setup.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    It depends on how Tony ends up adjusting the wastegate actuators. If they're set close to stock you'll be able to run the turbos with OTS maps like Tony mentioned. In the case of RBs for instance, as well as some VTT Stage 2 Batch 1, WGDC tables had to be significantly adjusted for WOT operation to not throw codes, overboost, underboost, etc.

Just normal driving/cruising the car will always be fine. Its WOT operation that may need adjustment depending on actuator setup.
    This is true it can vary, we try to set each and every turbo we send out exactly the same as far as wastegate actuation. This means we set them all to be closed at precisely the same vacuum setting, sometimes variables will throw a monkey wrench in, but we do out best to get them all exactly the same. I just put a set of stage 2's on my bros car and he drove it around for almost 2 weeks on OTS maps before he brought it back and I had D make him a quick custom map. Hopefully you wont have an issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good Tony!

Just a FYI, I've ordered a set of stg 2's with upgraded gtx wheels and thrust parts, currently waiting for mine to ship, and I've decided to sell my car. If anyone is interested in taking my production slot, please pm me. As you can see they will ship in 2-3 weeks!

Thanks!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Subscribed... very impressive Tony. Tech discussions with hard data are like crack for most of us here. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking sexy to me.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Subscribed. The more data, the easier it makes my decision as to which turbos to go with. Nice work tony!
    Semi-OT, I'm very interested in seeing how they hold up with you trying to break them once installed...the ultimate durability test IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Looks good Tony!

Just a FYI, I've ordered a set of stg 2's with upgraded gtx wheels and thrust parts, currently waiting for mine to ship, and I've decided to sell my car. If anyone is interested in taking my production slot, please pm me. As you can see they will ship in 2-3 weeks!

Thanks!
    Why are you selling? I pm'd you about taking your spot. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @bobS

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just pmed u back. Just pm me, I don't want to clog up this thread... I'm getting a m3. Thanks
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony,
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to getting these.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome work Tony!! When are these going in and testing to begin? Very Curious...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    Awesome work Tony!! When are these going in and testing to begin? Very Curious...
    They are in, we are just finishing up a few other things on the car, fuel system, exhaust etc. Also ran into quite a few snags that slowed us up, whoever was working on this car before was not a very good mechanic, left bolts out of the starter so when we pulled the tranny for the clutch the starter fell out of the hole meaning we had to then go back and pull the intake manifold, etc etc. We have been hitting quite a few issues like that. But the turbos are in, we started the car last night with the subframe out, no leaks, so we are just about there. Car will be on the road this week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast