Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

F10 M5 vbox Acceleration Data

I posted this on some other sites and figured I would also share here as well:

The temps cooled off here in the DC Metro area over the weekend and I took the M5 out early Saturday morning on the private road to see what it could do again. This time I decided to let the DCT do its thing and just put the car in D3 and MDM and stomped on the gas at about 40mph. I also was carrying half a tank of gas (and my 240+lbs). The results of run #1 :

60-70mph: .78
    70-80mph: .94
    80-90mph: .98
    90-100mph: 1.15
    100-110mph: 1.37
    110-120mph: 1.54
    120-130mph: 1.81

60-130mph: 8.57s (it was on a 2.03% decline)

I was psyched to see that time (it came up as a 8.6s on the actual screen)! So I decided since I got that one in the bag, let me try my hand at some standing start acceleration times. I turned back around and just left it in D3 and MDM (no playing with Launch control or tire pressure or cooling down). The results (with 1ft roll-out) of run #2 on a 2.57% decline:

0-60: 3.67s
    0-100: 7.70s
    0-120: 10.70s
    0-130: 12.49s
    60-130: 8.82s
    1/4m: 11.69 @ 125.56mph (GPS trap, if I average the last 66' of the run like at a drag strip: 124.75mph)

One thing to note is that the software doesn't allow me to show (or maybe there is a way but I am not aware of it) the 1 foot roll-out like the screen does contemporaneously on the unit itself. So I run a custom 1,321' report and then run another custom report for the first 1' and then subtract that out from the data to come up with the 1 foot roll-out numbers (I show both in the screenshot). At the track I find my ETs are better on the timeslips than on the the pbox because the timing lights allow more than a 1 ft roll-out (maybe because of the bigger wheels on most modern high performance cars to allow for clearance over massive front rotors).

The slope was 2.57% decline over the entire 1/4 mile. So it would be slower at a drag strip but maybe I would make up some ET with some VHT track prep.

I am just shocked at how fast this car is in virtually stock form (just Supersprint Race mufflers and K&N air filters).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not a big fan of the 60-130 w/ 3% rule. ive seen a 1.5 sec drop from going on flat ground to a 2.0%

it is what it is, so play the game, but a good measure would be to try it on a track, to compare 1/4 and 60-130 thats what i do Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    not a big fan of the 60-130 w/ 3% rule. ive seen a 1.5 sec drop from going on flat ground to a 2.0%

it is what it is, so play the game, but a good measure would be to try it on a track, to compare 1/4 and 60-130 thats what i do Click here to enlarge
    Exaggerate much? I have done many runs on this same road and run at MIR which is virtually flat (1/2 a foot over the quarter mile) and I have NEVER seen anything over 0.5s difference ...let alone a full 1.5s difference (same car and same state of tune). That under .5s differential is also with more favorable weather conditions for the 2% decline runs than whenever I have done runs at the track (I monitor the weather and chose when to run on the private road near my house and try to optimize the conditions, as opposed to driving to a track rental and being at the mercy to the ambient conditions on that particular day). So please post up your vbox data...instead of anecdotal made up BS. There are so many variables aside for the decline that can lead to differences in the times...but your 1.5s is still complete BS...