Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I think alpina is just showing off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I wonder if these are the same turbos the S55 will have? I cant see them allowing Alpina to use M specifics parts though, that's just too much blurring of the lines.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Valvetronic can keep the intake valves completely closed during an intake stroke, eliminating the need for a throttle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lfelunden Click here to enlarge
    Hello guys

I was at Frankfurt IAA motorshow this weekend, so I went at Alpina since I own one the let me in and show me what features the new cars has etc. So I came across the N55 biturbo engine that they have stationed at their stand. What I could see was the turbos was exact the same as the ones I got in my B3 biturbo (got RB turbos now). The developer told me they had upgraded the internals and that the brand was Borg Warner, he didn't tell what kind of wheels etc was put in but my guess would be that they remind of RBs or Vargas stage 2, maybe a little less or so. The guy told me the car was equipped with oil coolers at both sides which also cooled down the water. Seemed like it had an upgraded intercooler when compared to the stock one in the previous models.

Here is some pics, last picture is from the B6 Biturbo 540hp version, also had borg warner upgraded internals when compared to the 507hp version:
    Attachment 33072Attachment 33073Attachment 33074Attachment 33075
    The Alpina rep was either misinformed, or not too bright, those are Mitsubishi turbochargers. You can see clearly in the pictures. For the N55 they went BW, but from what I have seen, that is the only model, all others I have seen are Garrett or MHI. That is also the 135,535,1M, and RHD rear turbo, the charge pipe is also looks like that version, in my opinion this version of the charge pipe is superior to the 335 version.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I think the picture shows the B6, not the B3 bi-turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I think the picture shows the B6, not the B3 bi-turbo.
    If I read right, only the last picture is. The others are def an N54 or N55 motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If I read right, only the last picture is. The others are def an N54 or N55 motor.
    Sorry about that, you are right - misread that...

Curious - how do you identify the make of the blower (Mitsubishi) so well? I can barely see the dang things - I know you've been around turbos forever from your posts, but that's impressive. Is there some easily identifiable marking that you see or something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry about that, you are right - misread that...

Curious - how do you identify the make of the blower (Mitsubishi) so well? I can barely see the dang things - I know you've been around turbos forever from your posts, but that's impressive. Is there some easily identifiable marking that you see or something?
    Well manufactures do not use each others parts, and those are MHI manifolds, MHI actuators, and you can see the turbos just enough to see telltale signs. BW would not just take MHI manifolds, actuators, etc and adapt them to a BW turbo. The entire thing would be entirely BW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Well manufactures do not use each others parts, and those are MHI manifolds, MHI actuators, and you can see the turbos just enough to see telltale signs. BW would not just take MHI manifolds, actuators, etc and adapt them to a BW turbo. The entire thing would be entirely BW.
    That's awesome. If there were a game show called "Guess the Snail" - I would recommend signing up... Click here to enlarge

Given an image of just an impeller - would you guess the manufacturer correct most of the time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

At this point, it sounds like we can't trust the rep to have known whether it's an N55 or N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

After further review, it appears it is an N54 block. This is apparent due to the coolant channel being connected at the center of the block (rather than the rearward section of the block like on the N55). The cylinder head cover appears to be N55, and the casting seems to have some deviation from our N54 longblock head. It very well could be an N54 short block, N55 head/valve cover (drilled for N54 Turbos bolt pattern), and OEM N54 turbos with improved plumbing to/from turbos. That is my $.02.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

He said that they have undergone same upgrade on the B5/B6 biturbo regarding internals. They were made Alpina specific for B5/B6. In my eyes they looked pretty much like the stock turbos. The Alpina B3S Biturbo (n54 engine) has 400 hp with 335i turbos, 2ndary cats removed, better intake and has high flow dps from factory - 400 hp. This new B3 has the exact same setup, i guess N55 head for the valvetronic and N54 block, maybe with better flow or as I saw it had better intercooler. B3S biturbo(n54) runs 18psi stock, this one I guess 19psi - 410hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rwalker Click here to enlarge
    At this point, it sounds like we can't trust the rep to have known whether it's an N55 or N54.
    I think anyone who has been to a car show and actually talked in depth with some of the reps sent out knows they often don't know much about the engineering details. Often it's a woman in the company there because she looks nice in a business suit or someone who's turn it is to go to a show.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think anyone who has been to a car show and actually talked in depth with some of the reps sent out knows they often don't know much about the engineering details. Often it's a woman in the company there because she looks nice in a business suit or someone who's turn it is to go to a show.
    I spoke with the engineer who designed this Click here to enlarge not some random dude/chick Click here to enlarge But still, they didn't want to say too much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lfelunden Click here to enlarge
    I spoke with the engineer who designed this Click here to enlarge not some random dude/chick Click here to enlarge But still, they didn't want to say too much.
    Awesome. I just talk to the chicks who look good in the business suits Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12