Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

The new Alpina B3 Biturbo (F30) Same turbos as 335i - upgraded borg warner internals

Hello guys

I was at Frankfurt IAA motorshow this weekend, so I went at Alpina since I own one the let me in and show me what features the new cars has etc. So I came across the N55 biturbo engine that they have stationed at their stand. What I could see was the turbos was exact the same as the ones I got in my B3 biturbo (got RB turbos now). The developer told me they had upgraded the internals and that the brand was Borg Warner, he didn't tell what kind of wheels etc was put in but my guess would be that they remind of RBs or Vargas stage 2, maybe a little less or so. The guy told me the car was equipped with oil coolers at both sides which also cooled down the water. Seemed like it had an upgraded intercooler when compared to the stock one in the previous models.

Here is some pics, last picture is from the B6 Biturbo 540hp version, also had borg warner upgraded internals when compared to the 507hp version:
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

damn nice job. first pictures i have seen of this. really interesting they kept the same setup. id like to see the power band of this motor compared to alpinas n54
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

so a bi turbo N55 huh? interesting. so custom exhaust manifolds? I'm under the impression N54 manifolds don't fit on the N55. The N55 is also a single twin scroll. So where did these manifolds come from? they look OEM. Also i'm wondering what the difference in compressor/turbine wheels is since it's biturbo and not TT.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I think you have misunderstood, or the seller should get another job, I have seen the new alpine f30 and n55 is the 410HP twin turbo power
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    I think you have misunderstood, or the seller should get another job, I have seen the new alpine f30 and n55 is the 410HP twin turbo power
    crank numbers and the last picture is b6 not b3
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

so if you would like to know is the origin of the new fuel pump you use, I'm trying to get some information THROUGH seller here in Spain alpine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazylegs Click here to enlarge
    crank numbers and the last picture is b6 not b3
    yes sir hp engine, here in europe always motor power
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    so a bi turbo N55 huh? interesting. so custom exhaust manifolds? I'm under the impression N54 manifolds don't fit on the N55. The N55 is also a single twin scroll. So where did these manifolds come from? they look OEM. Also i'm wondering what the difference in compressor/turbine wheels is since it's biturbo and not TT.
    BMW marketers have labeled the N55 as "bi-turbo" but it is, in fact, a single twin-scroll turbo.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I can't exactly tell from the pics posted but it looks like 2 manifolds and 2 turbos. i've alse not seen an N55 out of a car either.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    BMW marketers have labeled the N55 as "bi-turbo" but it is, in fact, a single twin-scroll turbo.

Neil
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge

Neil
    Car is Bi turbo, not single turbo like the 335i N55! Same turbos as the N54, but with upgraded internals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Definitely N54 RHD/135 Style twin turbos. So they either 1) used the N54 head or 2) re-flanged the turbos for the N55 bolt pattern or 3) re-tapped the N55 head for the N54 bolt pattern. My guess is that they did option #1 first (or secondary guess #3 ). I am skeptical about them using Borg Warner internals on these units. I'm most inclined to believe they kept them stock but increased the breathing capability to/from them. Better pics would help of the CHRA if available, that would give it away instantly.

They also have used a very apparently upgraded compressor outlet y-pipe which looks pretty slick. Wonder how much that would cost?

They also MAY have upgraded the inlet tubes. I am not 100%, but to me they definitely look bigger and better. Would also be interesting to see what they cost?

The coolant tube to the center of the block has also been altered to a full cast design, but I see no real reason for that as the OEM unit seems fine to me. Perhaps something with fitment on this latest vehicle.

Cool enough stuff to use the post for the day on,

Take care,
    Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Where is the cold side inlet pipe on the rear turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    Where is the cold side inlet pipe on the rear turbo?
    You can see it wrapped around the rear of the engine in the first pic, looks just like oem N54 intake tube routing.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    They also have used a very apparently upgraded compressor outlet y-pipe which looks pretty slick. Wonder how much that would cost?
    hot side pipe looks stock to me?

assuming it's LHD, that's exactly what the LHD one looks like?.. unless the overall diameter is larger, which it doesn't look like to me

heck, it looks almost the same as my RHD one minus the dent
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The n55 head is supposedly better then the n54 so I doubt they'd put an n54 head on an n55 just to keep exhaust manis. I have to agree with rob and assume if this is in fact an n55 with 2 turbos, they are n54 turbos with the n55 head drilled for the n54 turbos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

The n55 head is supposedly better then the n54 so I doubt they'd put an n54 head on an n55 just to keep exhaust manis. I have to agree with rob and assume if this is in fact an n55 with 2 turbos, they are n54 turbos with the n55 head drilled for the n54 turbos
    and.. the only thing that makes an N55 an N55 (well imo the biggest) is the valvetronic.. N54 head = no valvetronic?

it was originally stated they had simply reproduced the N54, as it was better to suit their needs

if it's a fancy hybrid N54 N55 (N55 head, N54 turbos) that's pretty awesome
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Honestly it prob is just an N54.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    and.. the only thing that makes an N55 an N55 (well imo the biggest) is the valvetronic.. N54 head = no valvetronic?

it was originally stated they had simply reproduced the N54, as it was better to suit their needs

if it's a fancy hybrid N54 N55 (N55 head, N54 turbos) that's pretty awesome

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I thought there were previous discussion about Alpina putting bigger inlet piping on their N54 powered cars but they wouldn't sell them individually or were outrageously expensive. I wish there was a pic of the intake side to see how they handled the intake, BOV and anything else.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Definitely N54 RHD/135 Style twin turbos. So they either 1) used the N54 head or 2) re-flanged the turbos for the N55 bolt pattern or 3) re-tapped the N55 head for the N54 bolt pattern. My guess is that they did option #1 first (or secondary guess #3 ). I am skeptical about them using Borg Warner internals on these units. I'm most inclined to believe they kept them stock but increased the breathing capability to/from them. Better pics would help of the CHRA if available, that would give it away instantly.

They also MAY have upgraded the inlet tubes. I am not 100%, but to me they definitely look bigger and better. Would also be interesting to see what they cost?

The coolant tube to the center of the block has also been altered to a full cast design, but I see no real reason for that as the OEM unit seems fine to me. Perhaps something with fitment on this latest vehicle.

Cool enough stuff to use the post for the day on,

Take care,
    Rob
    Rob, the guy who told me this, worked at Alpina development, the performance department. His english wasn't the best though, but half english half german and we managed to understand each other Click here to enlarge

He said the engine is only N55, I asked whether or not the N55 head was bolted on the N54 or so, he said the engine is a N55 as a whole, with Mahle pistons. He said the turbos are the same as in N54, so my guess is as you pointed out, the may have re-flanged the turbos for the N55 bolt pattern. The turbos was exact the same as the N54s, although he said in the corporation with Borg Warner, they had upgraded internals, the same story with the B5/B6 biturbo's turbos.

Rob, are the stock N54 turbos also as in the picture, I can upload a higher resolution one though. If you look at the manifold where they have cut it open and painted it red, could it be that the have made the manifolds bigger or are they like that - with 2 pieces of metal inside.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

+1 on this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Great thread and photos, repped, but moved to N55 since the motor is an N55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Better based on what though? Valvetronic? Seems that just complicates tuning to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

variable valve timing will always produce slightly more HP and better spool than a standard valvetrain. You get a good idea of this in the EVO world. EVO 8 and EVO 9 blocks are the same. EVO 9 have VVT head and always outspools an EVO 9. It's just how it is. Yes tuning is more difficult but yields better results.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Better based on what though? Valvetronic? Seems that just complicates tuning to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

variable valve timing will always produce slightly more HP and better spool than a standard valvetrain. You get a good idea of this in the EVO world. EVO 8 and EVO 9 blocks are the same. EVO 9 have VVT head and always outspools an EVO 9. It's just how it is. Yes tuning is more difficult but yields better results.
    We already have VANOS. Valvetronic is variable valve lift and I believe it makes for a heavier valvetrain which is why we don't see it on any of the high revving M motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

HMM... I see your point. I'm not sure the difference between VANOS and Valvetronic but Alpina obviously has seen a reason to go with the N55 in leiu of the N54 for reasons prob involving the head. I mean, if you're going to put the N54 turbos on the motor just as well keep the N54 unless there's a solid reason they thought the N55 was better.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    We already have VANOS. Valvetronic is variable valve lift and I believe it makes for a heavier valvetrain which is why we don't see it on any of the high revving M motors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast