Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Injector o-ring tools

Does anyone know the part numbers for the tools to put new o-rings on injectors? The numbers in the bentley manual are: 13 0 192, 13 0 193, 13 0 194, 13 0 195. They seem short for bmw part numbers. and a search turns up nothing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Does anyone know the part numbers for the tools to put new o-rings on injectors? The numbers in the bentley manual are: 13 0 192, 13 0 193, 13 0 194, 13 0 195. They seem short for bmw part numbers. and a search turns up nothing
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...tion/ES200050/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great thanks! Ouch that is expensive for what it is

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Great thanks! Ouch that is expensive for what it is
    yeah thats what i thought..

and if you put them on, you only have a limited time to install them supposedly, so getting a shop to do the rings (cheap) then you install them isn't an option, unless you're ready to go waiting out the front or something haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah it is a big pain. Got to love bmw by searching the part number the pliers are 15 dollar pair of 160mm wire strippers. I wish I knew the dimensions of the collars so I could have my dad make a set. It does not seems like the is much to them. An hour or two on the lathe and I would have a set.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get a shop with the tool to replace them for you, then place the aluminum cap on it. It is suggested to have it installed withing 5 minutes from the time you remove the cap protector. It is just to keep it from expanding, you can always place the cap back on to keep it in place.

Or, do what I did. Lube that baby up and use your fingers/nails to push it in place (it won't be easy). Then use the aluminum cap to mold it in. Leave the cap on for a minimum of 10 minutes before installing it. I installed two injectors this way.
    Cobb E30 / DCI / VRSF Downpipes / VRSF 7" Intercooler / Walbro LPFP / E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking about that with the cap. I may just get a couple collars made that are a little bigger than the cap and use the cap to keep it in place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Those collers are supposed to be used sequentially. They step down the size between them to slowly compress the seal by seating one, waiting 20 minutes, twist on the next size down etc. I recall reading this in TIS, it may have the dimensions as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I saw in the bentley and online videos. If I can get the dimension on the cap I can just make the collars step down and will be good to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm amazed how quickly some of you guys answer these questions. Repped.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't mess with the O-rings. The vast majority of injector failures have nothing to do with the sealing rings but rather in the piezo-electric components inside them which are sealed from the factory and cannot be accessed/repaired.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Don't mess with the O-rings. The vast majority of injector failures have nothing to do with the sealing rings but rather in the piezo-electric components inside them which are sealed from the factory and cannot be accessed/repaired.
    if you remove the injector (why you would remove a functional injector, i don't know), you have to replace the ring.. well, that's what BMW+everything i can find says.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If there are three collars, couldn't you take the different between the uncompressed size of the o-ring, and the finished size of the o-ring and divide by three? This would be the difference in size between the three collars. Then subtract the difference in size between the collars from the uncompressed size to get the size of the first collar. The other two collars would follow based on the difference between the collars.

So if the uncompressed size it 10mm OD and the compressed size is 8mm OD,

10 - 8 = 2
    2 / 3 = 0.6666
    10 - 0.6666 = 9.3334
    9.3334 - 0.6666 = 8.6668
    8.6668 - 0.6666 = 8mm

So in this example the first collar would be 9.33mm, the second collar would be 8.66mm and the third collar would be 8.00mm

All someone needs is a new o-ring, an injector and calipers.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    if you remove the injector (why you would remove a functional injector, i don't know), you have to replace the ring.. well, that's what BMW+everything i can find says.
    I am not so sure. I think there is a confusion here. You have to replace the metal decoupling element (number 10 in the picture) because it gets bent the moment you tighten up the injector:

Click here to enlarge

This decoupling element also acts as a seal between the injector and the engine head and it helps prevent loss of compression.

The injector seal (number 9) does not touch anything. I've swapped injectors between cylinders many times and everything is fine for as long as you don't touch the seal and you recode your injectors when you swap them between cylinders.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    TIS states to replace the seal at every removal. That being said, I never have, but would if I removed them 3-4 times without replacing it. It's a PTFE seal and I have no doubt that it aids in sealing compression.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    If there are three collars, couldn't you take the different between the uncompressed size of the o-ring, and the finished size of the o-ring and divide by three? This would be the difference in size between the three collars. Then subtract the difference in size between the collars from the uncompressed size to get the size of the first collar. The other two collars would follow based on the difference between the collars.

So if the uncompressed size it 10mm OD and the compressed size is 8mm OD,

10 - 8 = 2
    2 / 3 = 0.6666
    10 - 0.6666 = 9.3334
    9.3334 - 0.6666 = 8.6668
    8.6668 - 0.6666 = 8mm

So in this example the first collar would be 9.33mm, the second collar would be 8.66mm and the third collar would be 8.00mm

This is possible, because when the seal is new (unused), it is smaller than when installed. It stretches out on installation, not the other way around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am not so sure. I think there is a confusion here. You have to replace the metal decoupling element (number 10 in the picture) because it gets bent the moment you tighten up the injector:

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...3/09/226-1.png

This decoupling element also acts as a seal between the injector and the engine head and it helps prevent loss of compression.

The injector seal (number 9) does not touch anything. I've swapped injectors between cylinders many times and everything is fine for as long as you don't touch the seal and you recode your injectors when you swap them between cylinders.
    From personal experience;

Seal number 9 plays a much more important role than number 10. Seal 9 is the one that holds the compression in place and the decoupling is more like a back up plan. If you swap injector to a differentiate cylinder, there is a 99% you will lose compression at high boost. Because the seal is already molded to the original cylinder. In the other hand, you can re-use the decoupling without an issue.

Try removing one of the injector you swapped without changing the seal and you will see how easy it is to remove it compared to another one that has only been installed in one cylinder.

I have swapped injector in my car to different cylinders and as long as I replaced seal number 9 there was no issue, and same decoupling. I have also bought used injector of ebay, replaced seal 9 and same decoupling, no issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bimmer305 Click here to enlarge
    This is possible, because when the seal is new (unused), it is smaller than when installed. It stretches out on installation, not the other way around.
    The seal needs to be expanded to fit over the end of the injector, but the collars specifically are for compressing the expanded seal into the gland in the injector tip.

http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/3_Se...dex.php?id=553

The collars may actually be slightly conical on the inside.

I bet a part like McMaster 53175K81 would even work to compress the seal.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 09-20-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is some great info in this thread, repped.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The seal needs to be expanded to fit over the end of the injector, but the collars specifically are for compressing the expanded seal into the gland in the injector tip.

http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/3_Se...dex.php?id=553

The collars may actually be slightly conical on the inside.

I bet a part like McMaster 53175K81 would even work to compress the seal.
    The tool is to expand and then compress (or keep it from expanding) the seal.
    How are you going to expand the seal if you don't have the tool? or how are you going to measure the seal expanded to make the tool to compress it, if you haven't expanded the seal.

Compressing the seal is the easy part, as I said before you can use the injector cap to compress it. The hard part it expanding it from the original size (which is ~1/2 the final size) and make it fit in the injector.

I got all of the above on hand. Let me know if you need measurements.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Great info guys! I have a leaking number 5 injector and plan on replacing it with a used injector. I am going to buy a new o-ring and try to use the cap to compress it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bimmer305 Click here to enlarge
    The tool is to expand and then compress (or keep it from expanding) the seal.
    How are you going to expand the seal if you don't have the tool? or how are you going to measure the seal expanded to make the tool to compress it, if you haven't expanded the seal.

Compressing the seal is the easy part, as I said before you can use the injector cap to compress it. The hard part it expanding it from the original size (which is ~1/2 the final size) and make it fit in the injector.

I got all of the above on hand. Let me know if you need measurements.
    You need to look at the link I posted. The tool to expand the seal is simply a conical piece of metal with a recess on the back side to allow the tip of the injector to fit into it. It should be trivial to cut that from mild steel or even aluminum.

Or are you talking about expanding the old seal to remove it? It could probably be carefully cut off the injector with an Xacto knife.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to look at the link I posted. The tool to expand the seal is simply a conical piece of metal with a recess on the back side to allow the tip of the injector to fit into it. It should be trivial to cut that from mild steel or even aluminum.

Or are you talking about expanding the old seal to remove it? It could probably be carefully cut off the injector with an Xacto knife.
    My apologies, I didn't go into the link you posted. Correct the tool 130195 is the one I was referring to, it is the most important one and should be a easiest one to make.
    Also it will be ideal to make another tool that slides onto that one to push in the seal instead of using your finger. Because the seal does not expand that easy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is what one of the collars is used for. Go to about the 7 min mark and you can see him use it to push the oring on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

yeah for whatever reason, BMW service manuals say to replace that seal, and that it expands and should be fit to the engine within 5 minutes of replacing

i don't know what's needed or not, just regurgitating what i've been told haha
    boop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast