Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Cool! (Or too cool?) Oil temps with BMS thermostat delete?

Just installed BMS thermostat delete. During 20 minutes of easy low boost driving around town at 68F, oil temps maxed out at about 202F, getting only as high as 208F after climbing up a hill near me. The manual for the car recommends minimum 210F before going to high RPMs. Cool (good), or too cool (bad)?Click here to enlarge
    2008 E90 335xi AT 57K MILES
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPS
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

No, that's fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

200-240 is ideal temps.... Honestly once I get into the ~175 area, it's ready to go into Redline land
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    200-240 is ideal temps.... Honestly once I get into the ~175 area, it's ready to go into Redline land
    That is too early for me, because the temperature is read at the bottom of the pan where it's hottest. The rest of the oil in the motor is still cooler, plus you have the turbos to lubricate. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    That is too early for me, because the temperature is read at the bottom of the pan where it's hottest. The rest of the oil in the motor is still cooler, plus you have the turbos to lubricate. Click here to enlarge
    You realize that gauge is fairly conservative.... Read it off your AP next time, it's reads ~10 degrees lower than the dash gauge reads
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeffman Click here to enlarge
    Just installed BMS thermostat delete. During 20 minutes of easy low boost driving around town at 68F, oil temps maxed out at about 202F, getting only as high as 208F after climbing up a hill near me. The manual for the car recommends minimum 210F before going to high RPMs. Cool (good), or too cool (bad)?Click here to enlarge
    My commute is 20 minutes and I would never get to step on it without the stock thermostat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

too cool

run factory TM and change oil every 3k miles like any other 400whp car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    You realize that gauge is fairly conservative.... Read it off your AP next time, it's reads ~10 degrees lower than the dash gauge reads
    Yes I do. That's exactly my point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

FWIW, My AP reads the same as my dash gauge.
    2008 E90 335xi AT 57K MILES
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPS
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrislloyd Click here to enlarge
    too cool

run factory TM and change oil every 3k miles like any other 400whp car
    Agreed. Oil changes every 3K-5K depending on how hard you beat on it is important.

But for spirited driving I would think we want to avoid the 245-ish deg F and higher temps as much as possible. To me, it seems that the BMS delete mod looks to be a great way to ensure the oil flows freely to the OEM oil cooler. The design of the OEM thermostat, even when opened all the way at 240F, looks to me to restrict oil flow rate more so than the BMS pin.

(Maybe it's emotional...I have an engineering background and I just love to see my OEM oil cooler working at optimal efficiency...max flow rates; max delta T, etc.!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeffman Click here to enlarge
    FWIW, My AP reads the same as my dash gauge.
    I find it to be off by a few degrees. Never by ten, which would be one full tick mark. I attribute it to being an analog vs digital gauge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

200 degrees is the target under normal circumstances IMHO. On a cold day (30s-40s) coasting down a hill you'll drop a bit below that with the stat. But, in 50-60 degree weather shouldn't be an issue.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.