Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

WOW, that is good news! New injector is cheaper then a new engine!! Good catch!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I had this happen on cylinder 1. When you removed injector was it loose in the hole? Mine pulled out very easily. Good find.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Well glad its an injector but what about all the oil coming out your exhaust?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

STOP.
    STOP.
    STOP.

as soon as I heard this, I knew what it was. I have seen this now numerous times.
    Who put those injectors in last?
    PLEASE tell me you just didn't stick another injector in there and call it done.
    And for the love of god, and a public service announcement: when you have nasty engines noises, don't rev it up like you were doing; unless you know what you are diagnosing lol- you just end up damaging MORE things!

I will be a Pepsi the injector bore hole is compromised due to the last person who installed that specific injector- causing blow-by of combustion pressure to leak past it.

The plate that holds the injector.
    the bolt that holds the plate.
    the high pressure hard line.
    the injector and sealing ring.
    They have all been compromised. replace them all.

AND here's where the fun starts:
    The teflon seal leaks on injector due to it not being replaced or installed correctly = combustion pressure leaks past injector = really superfreakinghot combustion pressure cuts and distorts the injector hole like a torch = this happens.

I PROMISE YOU, this will happen again on the same cylinder. you need to find another cylinder head, or get it repaired correctly (head off, milled out, insert pressed in, machined correctly, head reinstalled)......
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

And that's what happens when you have a $#@!ty PTFE seal, good example for this thread http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...r-o-ring-tools

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

It looks from that photo that you have NO PTFE seal, or decoupling element. Were they removed prior to taking the photo? Or is that how it was installed originally?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    Injector was bad, no blown engine... Did not realize an injector could make such a noise but hey I will take it.. Car runs as it should with no lawnmower noises. Thank you all for your input.

Here is what it looked like.
    Attachment 33217
    Great news. Very happy for you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    STOP.
    STOP.
    STOP.

as soon as I heard this, I knew what it was. I have seen this now numerous times.
    Who put those injectors in last?
    PLEASE tell me you just didn't stick another injector in there and call it done.
    And for the love of god, and a public service announcement: when you have nasty engines noises, don't rev it up like you were doing; unless you know what you are diagnosing lol- you just end up damaging MORE things!

I will be a Pepsi the injector bore hole is compromised due to the last person who installed that specific injector- causing blow-by of combustion pressure to leak past it.

The plate that holds the injector.
    the bolt that holds the plate.
    the high pressure hard line.
    the injector and sealing ring.
    They have all been compromised. replace them all.

AND here's where the fun starts:
    The teflon seal leaks on injector due to it not being replaced or installed correctly = combustion pressure leaks past injector = really superfreakinghot combustion pressure cuts and distorts the injector hole like a torch = this happens.

I PROMISE YOU, this will happen again on the same cylinder. you need to find another cylinder head, or get it repaired correctly (head off, milled out, insert pressed in, machined correctly, head reinstalled)......
    Guess I spoke too soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I don't know about all that. I reinstalled mine and coded it in and haven't had a issue with it and its been a year. I understand what your saying alex@abrhouston but I wouldn't jump the gun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    I don't know about all that. I reinstalled mine and coded it in and haven't had a issue with it and its been a year. I understand what your saying alex@abrhouston but I wouldn't jump the gun.
    I was going to sell it, but I think I will give it some time and see what happens. I really like this car and engine just wish it was a bit more reliable. As long as it survives another year and a half or so I will be happy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    It looks from that photo that you have NO PTFE seal, or decoupling element. Were they removed prior to taking the photo? Or is that how it was installed originally?
    The teflon seal was removed in that picture.. All seals were changed when I had the engine replaced. Injector was coded and all misfire codes are gone. The car runs flawlessly, also replaced all plugs which seemed to fix my idle hiccup that I was experiencing in cylinder 1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Well glad its an injector but what about all the oil coming out your exhaust?
    Pretty sure my turbos are on their way out, car smokes a bit out of the exhaust as it did before but no crazy spewing of black oil/fuel like liquid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Pretty sure my turbos are on their way out, car smokes a bit out of the exhaust as it did before but no crazy spewing of black oil/fuel like liquid.
    Okay, that makes sense. Glad its running fine! Sounds like it may be time for some stage 2's in the near future!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I was going to sell it, but I think I will give it some time and see what happens. I really like this car and engine just wish it was a bit more reliable. As long as it survives another year and a half or so I will be happy.
    I agree with the reliability part. I've gone out with full intent on getting out of it and after driving some other cars that would be comparable performance wise, its either more than I'd want to spend or too much to upgrade to get the same performance. In between issues that pop up every month or so I really like how my car drives and performs. This months code is for passenger restraint system. LOL and its even more annoying when it keeps popping up on I-drive. Guess I need a new passenger seat or the mat that senses someone's in the seat. Its always something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I know this is an old post but I had the exact same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Did the new seal work or was the head damaged? thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jsbmw Click here to enlarge
    I know this is an old post but I had the exact same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Did the new seal work or was the head damaged? thanks
    I'm guessing the head is fine as I haven't had to do this again on the same cylinder, I would just make sure you replace them with NEW injectors or if you do end up swapping in used injectors make sure you replace both the ring seal and the decoupling element... or this will happen again. Good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. Pulled the injector yesterday and the seal seemed fine. No signs of combustion past the seal. Replaced with new seal and decoupler. Hoping it is finally done. Thanks again for your reply, really appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12