Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Blown motor!!? Not again??!

Last night I took my car out and noticed a knocking noise coming from the engine, I immediately pulled over and checked codes. There were none. Power is almost completely gone and car drives like a 2000 golf. So I drove it home and left the car. I woke up this morning praying the horrible noise was not there, but sure enough it's still there and now worse. oil Sensor said my oil was fine. I have a OFT and procede running e85 maps. Here is the video of the noise. Also car is spewing oil like crazy from the exhaust. Any help is greatly appreciated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    awe $#@!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That doesn't sound good at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That sounds like someone needs a new bottom end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yikes.

How long have you been on the OFT? Ever logged it with anything other than the tablet itself?
    Last edited by boom; 09-14-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: questions

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well...I see two positive things out of this for you...

1) N54 motor rebuild parts are now available through more than one source for a full rebuild

2) Rebuilt motors are so much more fun

Just trying to positive...sorry for your luck man, I'm not an expert, and I'm sure it could be "fixed" but I woke up one morning and heard that I'd be making a couple phone calls and parts would be on the way...
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe you'll luck out and it's just an injector or some other issue. But, N54 motors are pretty cheap these days. I know of a few guys who have found eBay motors for 3-4k. Another 2k on average to install them. Then you can normally resell yours to a large turbo guy as a core for building.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sound on phone vid can be deceptive but it seems like you might just have a turbo problem.

I think this because oil is coming out exhaust and it sounds like you have an exhaust leak when you give it gas- both would come from a turbo problem.

A spun bearing or busted hard engine part will usually knock all the time, idling or revving.

my 2C. I hope its the turbo!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was gonna say have you every logged?? You might want to also remove all the tunes (OFT & PROcede), run the car for a little & see if maybe it triggers the fault codes then

Kinda shocked that you're not getting ANY codes when the car is clearly not running right
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    sound on phone vid can be deceptive but it seems like you might just have a turbo problem.

I think this because oil is coming out exhaust and it sounds like you have an exhaust leak when you give it gas- both would come from a turbo problem.

A spun bearing or busted hard engine part will usually knock all the time, idling or revving.

my 2C. I hope its the turbo!
    I was gonna say something to this effect. I really have no idea what's going on with out being there, but two things come to mind:

1) Messed up turbo, saw it once already. Oil gushing out the exhaust and all. No knocking sound though.

2) Cracked ring lands. This usually lets a good amount of oil by.

I'm not sure what to think of that knocking sound other than it being a really bad misfire since its intermittent which could be possible given number 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Then you can normally resell yours to a large turbo guy as a core for building.
    If this is the case in the end shoot me a PM i could use a spare motor for a build possibly
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Seems to only happen when you get on it? Idles fine? Your engine may still be okay. Here's Hoping.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One change that was made very recently was LPFP upgrade. I will drive it around and log and see if I can get some codes. This is not the motor that was over revved that one is sitting in my basement collecting dust. I bought this motor and put 10k miles with one dragstrip track day. I will do more diagnosing when I get back to Chicago from New York. I was wondering if an injector or bad install of the LPFP could be the culprit of the noise but it really does sound like a engine problem. Thanks for the help guys but if this doesn't work out I think I might be leaving the n54 scene for a while, and the modding scene for even longer. Just way too much money that I cannot play with unless it was actual upgrades. Also here is another longer video clip. Although not much longer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got 50c on it as being a turbo problem. That sounds more and more like an exhaust leak. Buy a cheap telescoping inspection mirror from pep boys or auto zone and see if you can eyeball anything from above. Any oil dripping on the ground or just out the exhaust?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Did you perhaps put a lawn mower in your car? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like my old 335i, Dealer said exhaust manifold was cracked. But i was also getting Cylinder 5 misfires

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A little update... I flashed the car back to stock and reset all adaptations, turned can clear off and let it run. I was watching the live feed through the OFT and fuel trim between the two banks were off, way off. Bank 1 was 20% and bank 2 started going into the deep negatives. Turned the car off and tried reading codes, this time I got 29cd, 29d2, 29cc. All misfire codes.. Having done that I decided it was time for her to see an independent shop luckily not too far from me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Back in the day I owned a 1978 Buick Regal Turbo. Within 3 months of buying it used, the turbo went out. It sounded EXACTLY like the two audio clips you posted. Good luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    A little update... I flashed the car back to stock and reset all adaptations, turned can clear off and let it run. I was watching the live feed through the OFT and fuel trim between the two banks were off, way off. Bank 1 was 20% and bank 2 started going into the deep negatives. Turned the car off and tried reading codes, this time I got 29cd, 29d2, 29cc. All misfire codes.. Having done that I decided it was time for her to see an independent shop luckily not too far from me.
    This is all bad signs... sorry.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any update on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes, he found a briggs and stratton mounted in the fender well.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the engine is $#@!ed U Will get codes...
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Please do a compression test. It'll rule out a cracked piston or bent valves.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Injector was bad, no blown engine... Did not realize an injector could make such a noise but hey I will take it.. Car runs as it should with no lawnmower noises. Thank you all for your input.

Here is what it looked like.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast