Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Turbo vs. SC Graphical Comparison

I will be going down the path of force inducing my car over the winter (no motor swap for OBD2 compliance issues with our wonderful government), a 1998 M3 with 180,000 km on the clock. First up, I will be doing a full head refresh which will include a valve job, potential polish along with adding an MLS HG and ARP Studs to properly prepare the motor. I may or may not add cams depending on the route I go.

I am coming from a heavily modified N54 that delivered kick in the pants torque but ran out of breath up top. The N54 was a beast (ran a 11.5 @ 123mph 1/4 mile) but I really love the civility and overall power delivery of the S52 not to mention the far superior handling and feel of the e36 M3. Because of this, I am leaning towards a supercharged setup as I am thinking that I do not want to dramatically alter the factory power delivery characteristics of the car.

That said, I know I will eventually want more power and an SC setup just does not have the scalability of a good turbo setup, enter the following power delivery comparison. I have taken two dyno charts posted by another S52 owner of his turbo and SC setups and have compiled a mash up of the graphs. The visuals are really helping me to understand what I would be leaving on the table in terms of power if I go down the SC path.

Following are the respective setups of the car as posted by pbonsalb:

Supercharged Specs: MLS .098 HG, Shrick Cams, RMS Headers, Euro Supersprint Mid and Rear Pipes, M50 Intake Manifold, Vortech T Trim at 16psi, RMS water/air Intercooler, meth injection, 60lb injectors, Bosch -803 HFM

Turbo Specs: MLS .140 HG, Stock Cams, Boostlogic Manifold, 3.5 Inch Exhaust, M50 Intake Manifold, .82 AR T4 GT35R with T04S Cover and 4 Inch intake at 18 psi, Bell intercooler, Tial 44mm WG and 50 mm blowoff valve

Note: This comparison does not protest to be exact as I compiled the data at 500 rpm intervals for the purposes of a high level review.

Overall Comparison
    Click here to enlarge

Power Under the Curve
    Click here to enlarge

Torque
    Click here to enlarge

Overall, pretty dramatic difference in delivery characteristics and power under the curve. This has really now got me leaning towards the turbo as I know my thirst for power will eventually get the better of me. Anyway, fun little comparison of what we already knew just presented in graphical format.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

I’ve been thinking about this also. My next project will be more for track use and drivability will be important. With turbo some of the negatives… at least with my limited knowledge… will be linear throttle and shifting. Most boost control outside the ECU does NOT account for throttle AFAIK. And to hold boost during a shift, you’ll have to put some effort into this with aftermarket NLS options. These may seem minor, but depending on your goals, could be important and nuances that aren’t easy to tune immediately. SC should be simpler to setup, maintain, and just drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Wish I could find a twin screw kit still available for the car, I really want to see some dyno charts of a TS.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Not exact but damn man nicely done. Goes to show how the turbo kills in area under the curve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Wish I could find a twin screw kit still available for the car, I really want to see some dyno charts of a TS.
    There was a twin screw kit available whatever happened to it?

Anyway, a turbo is really a better option as you are limited in potential with the twin screw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Anyway, a turbo is really a better option as you are limited in potential with the twin screw.
    True but I like how unique the TS option is, not to mention its instant torque and the sound of screaming tortured souls under the hood when its ripping.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

AA is out of the TS game, I spoke to them today and the only other option was purchased by TRM and I am trying to find out if they still produce the kit.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

True but I like how unique the TS option is, not to mention its instant torque and the sound of screaming tortured souls under the hood when its ripping.
    I agree, definite appeal and I always have wanted a positive displacement car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

AA is out of the TS game, I spoke to them today and the only other option was purchased by TRM and I am trying to find out if they still produce the kit.
    TRM, that's the one. We had someone here who bought a used kit and had to put in some work to get it running.

You may be out of luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

TRM, that's the one. We had someone here who bought a used kit and had to put in some work to get it running.

You may be out of luck.

TRM has a very suspect reputation, they also produce a turbo kit and there are numerous complaints from consumers about receiving incomplete kits along with major tuning issues.

Even though the turbo route is scalable I am still leaning toward a SC setup. That said, my first course of action is getting 250lbs - 300lbs out of the car. I will be picking up 2x Corbeau FX1 pro racing seats, 11lbs Braille Racing Battery, PSS9 or BC coilovers, full custom exhaust, 10lb flywheel and M5 clutch from UUC, Apex Arc 8 rims and pulling out various items such as the fog lights, CD changer in the trunk, spare tire and tool set. I will be starting this process in December.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Go with a SC setup. You will absolutely love it on the track.

That's a great comparison btw!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Go with a SC setup. You will absolutely love it on the track.

That's a great comparison btw!
    When I finalize my decision and if I go SC I will definitely be giving you a call. There is no doubt the RMS kit is by far the best hardware option along with the RMS headers.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |