Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Cool Inline LPFP Upgrade Setup Check-List

I know there's been a few threads on this on here and other forums, but I just wanted to confirm the setup and what's needed. I plan to have this done before I get proTUNED, so I wanted to make sure I provide the shop with the correct parts. I also wanted to get any feedback from anyone that's currently running or has ran this setup.

1. Walbro GSL392 Universal Fuel Pump, w/ 400-939 Install Kit
    2. Fram G3802A Fuel Filter
    3. Approx. 2 ft. of 5/16” diameter ‘Fuel Injection’ Hose
    4. Qty. (4) Hose Clamps, for 5/16” – 5/8” diameter hose
    5. 2 ft. of 16-gauge Electrical Wire
    6. Wire Connectors/Solder
    7. Heat Shrink Tubing

Is the GSL392 the best pump? I saw two kits on Ebay, one had bundy fittings, one didn't. Does this matter?

Is the G3802A the best filter?

What brand of fuel injection hose is the most reliable?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Getting ready to do this myself, forgot about a inline fuel filter, I've looked at a couple DIY's and don't remember seeing one used or in the parts list...hmmm
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would skip the filter check this thread it is updated. I think the main reason the filter was used was for the connection on the end.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20721

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    I would skip the filter check this thread it is updated. I think the main reason the filter was used was for the connection on the end.

That's the DIY i'm following. Hoping my hose and fittings come in today so that I can install over the weekend. I won't plan on the filter.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If anyone is interested I have a Brand New inline pump/filter hoses etc..

100$ shipped to your door.

I have the E60 535i and the inline option did not work for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

This connector broke on me, anyone got a p/n for a compatible bundy?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge

Nice, that makes sense with some revisions that were mentioned in the original setup.

If done by a professional shop, how long should this job take?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RoyalFlush Click here to enlarge
    Nice, that makes sense with some revisions that were mentioned in the original setup.

If done by a professional shop, how long should this job take?
    They can probalby do it in less than a hour, but they will charge you for two.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm having this done this weekend or next week, so I'll update everyone on how it goes. I'm going with DIY: 'Setup 3' - Factory + Walbro GSL392 Inline Fuel Pump. I'll be there for the install since it's my friend's shop, so hopefully I can provide some feedback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just a quick question, what is the price of the inline pump?

And is this just for low end gains? So can't this be combined with what Vargas has done to the HPFP?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just a quick question, what is the price of the inline pump?

And is this just for low end gains? So can't this be combined with what Vargas has done to the HPFP?
    It's $95 off Ebay for the kit, although you'll need to buy a few other things. The total cost of all materials should be under $150.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's $95 off Ebay for the kit, although you'll need to buy a few other things. The total cost of all materials should be under $150.
    That's not bad at all.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's not bad at all.
    Nope, not at all. Along with that. You just need a submersible fuel resistant hose, fuel resistant electrical wire, fuel resistant heat shrink, hose clamps, and bundy connectors. It's a lot more appealing to the eyes and DIYers than an in-tank upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does the inline pump need to be removed eventually when trading the car in? Will it cause any codes to be thrown on a stock car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PGZ11 Click here to enlarge
    Does the inline pump need to be removed eventually when trading the car in? Will it cause any codes to be thrown on a stock car?
    It doesn't need to be removed, but it's more-so a preference. I don't think any dealers will remove the seat (etc.) to check if there's an additional in-line pump.

There shouldn't be any codes thrown unless the install wasn't completed properly. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only sure way to throw codes is if you're utilizing an inline pump (Filling up with E85) and have a (stock) car that's not tuned to run that fuel mixture.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I completed this upgrade over the recent weekend. The DIY I followed and products I used are below.

DIY: "Revised Setup 3" - Factory + Walbro GSL392 Inline Fuel Pump

Walbro GSL392 Fuel Pump Kit

Includes:
    - Walbro GSL392 255 LPH fuel pump
    - 128-3012 bundy fittings (2)
    - Crush washers (2)
    - Electrical connections (2)
    - Starlock washers (2)
    - Nuts (2)
    - Mounting clamps (2 - not needed)
    - Mounting cushion (1 - not needed)

Gates 27093 5/16" Submersible Fuel Line Hose

Click here to enlarge

I think any SAE 30R10 fuel line hose will work.

Fuel Injection Hose Clamps (5/16")

Click here to enlarge

Southwire THHN/THWN/TWN75/T90 Electrical Wire (Gasoline and oil resistant)

The wire just needs to be stranded and equal to or bigger than the stock wire, which is 16-gauge. I used 14-gauge and gasoline and oil resistant wire that I found at Home Depot. (When calling, the employees didn't know what gasoline/oil/fuel resistant wire was. One of them even said "I"ve never heard of that before." The first spool I saw when I walked in had text indicating it was gasoline and oil resistant.)

Click here to enlarge

Marine Heat Shrink Tubing

I bought this at Harbor Freight. One of the employees recommended it since I was using it for fuel, and it has a 3:1 shrink ratio.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

10-12 Gauge Watertight Heat Shrink Butt Connectors

I also bought this at Harbor Freight. I initially bought the 14-16 sizes, but ended up purchasing the 10-12 sizes.

Click here to enlarge

Dorman 800-123 Bundy Fuel Line Connectors

Click here to enlarge

I found the 90-degree connectors work the best.

So far, after an ECU/adaptation reset, no codes have (re)appeared. I couldn't help myself and go WOT a (lot) few times, and it held up to 18 PSI. I'll be getting proTUNED by Jake@PTF this weekend, with E60, so I supposed that'll be the real test.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    awesome write up!
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you planning on 100% E85? I will be going this route soon as well and plan on 100% E85 with PTF. I also bought an E85 test tube tester so I can be sure how much ethanol is in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-36-E85-T...rds=e85+tester

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    Are you planning on 100% E85? I will be going this route soon as well and plan on 100% E85 with PTF. I also bought an E85 test tube tester so I can be sure how much ethanol is in there.

Ha! I just literally ordered that last night, it should be here by Friday so I can test the local e85 before I fill up on Saturday morning and head to the shop for my dynoTUNE.

I also plan to use this E85 mixture calculator.

I don't plan on running 100% E85. I haven't talked to Jake personally about it, but I think he'd advise against running straight 100% E85. Then again, I'm not Jake, so I can't speak on his behalf. I've also talked to a few people, and they also advised against it. I think I'll be pretty content with the power I get from an E60 mix.

I see in your signature that you ran/are running E50. Since you just (recently?) bought the E85 tester, how're you sure that it was E50 and not a lower concentration?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had PTF tune me for pump and E50 last year when they first started. I didn't test for E85. I simply used the calculator and assumed it was either 79% for summer or 74% for winter. Anyways, my LPFP is running weak so that's why I'm gonna replace with a brand new VDO/Siemens (OEM) LPFP and add the $100 Walbro as an inline.

What's the problem with running 100% E85 if the LPFP and HPFP support it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    C'mon Terry, make a DIY kit so I can buy one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ha! I just literally ordered that last night, it should be here by Friday so I can test the local e85 before I fill up on Saturday morning and head to the shop for my dynoTUNE.

I also plan to use this E85 mixture calculator.

I don't plan on running 100% E85. I haven't talked to Jake personally about it, but I think he'd advise against running straight 100% E85. Then again, I'm not Jake, so I can't speak on his behalf. I've also talked to a few people, and they also advised against it. I think I'll be pretty content with the power I get from an E60 mix.

I see in your signature that you ran/are running E50. Since you just (recently?) bought the E85 tester, how're you sure that it was E50 and not a lower concentration?

I've been using that tester for awhile, works great. Just make sure you give it ample time to settle after mixing the water & ethanol up.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @lulz_m3 - so do you go buy E85 for $1 and fill an empty can of soda? I know there's a 10 minute wait after mixing them in and letting it settle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had PTF tune me for pump and E50 last year when they first started. I didn't test for E85. I simply used the calculator and assumed it was either 79% for summer or 74% for winter. Anyways, my LPFP is running weak so that's why I'm gonna replace with a brand new VDO/Siemens (OEM) LPFP and add the $100 Walbro as an inline.

What's the problem with running 100% E85 if the LPFP and HPFP support it?
    I think there are a few components that E85 also affect. A more experience member will probably chime in soon.

Are you replacing the entire bucket, or just the LPFP? Have you thought of running the Walbro 450/455?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    C'mon Terry, make a DIY kit so I can buy one.

The "kit' I linked is probably as close to a "DIY" kit that would possibly be sold be a vendor. I don't think the vendors would add the miscellaenous things: fuel line hose/clamps, electrical wire, or heat shrink tubing/connectors.

This DIY took around 2 hours with me and my friend doing it. I'm a (semi) complete car noob, and he normally works Japanese vehicles. There were only a few PITA things about the install, but I'm confident that with another install, it would be closer to a 1 hour time frame.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I've been using that tester for awhile, works great. Just make sure you give it ample time to settle after mixing the water & ethanol up.

Did you only test the E85 mix out of the fuel pump, or did you also test what's in your tank?

@lulz_m3 - so do you go buy E85 for $1 and fill an empty can of soda? I know there's a 10 minute wait after mixing them in and letting it settle.

Where did you get the 10 minute time frame from? Upon reading a few things, people normally did 1-5 minutes? I have nothing against waiting for 10 minutes, since I'll probably be the only one there early in the morning. I just wanted to know for clarification.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    someone should make a kit minus the walbro, get the walbro on ebay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast