Close

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    7.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    A thought about N63 possible intake modification by a noob

    I am driving a X5 50i. Since an intake upgrade for N63 (except from Dinan which only available for the F10) still didn't appear, I am thinking if the following might be a possible modification to do.

    What if I install a set scoops (either AFE or RPI) in front of the intake tube? Does the scoop kind of make it become a ram intake and increase the air flow? All I need to do is just drill some holes to make the screws go though, and the scoops are not that expensive especially compare to Dinan.

    One downside I can think of right now is due to fact that the air filters are so far in the back and can not be replaced easily. Small rock chips or bugs might get in and damage the filter easier than the OEM intake.

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,356
    Rep Points
    32,764.6
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    In theory the scoops should increase flow that is how they function on basically everything else tehy are used on.

    I never had any issues with bugs or rock chips or anything like that all that stuff would still have to go through your grill and nobody else with scoops has had any serious problems like that. You still have your filters in place.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if there would be any measurable benefit on the N63, as when the car is under load the turbos are sucking air into the engine with more force than an increased 'ram air' effect would have from scoops.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,356
    Rep Points
    32,764.6
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if there would be any measurable benefit on the N63, as when the car is under load the turbos are sucking air into the engine with more force than an increased 'ram air' effect would have from scoops.
    Intake modifications can have an appreciable affect on turbo cars of course but I have no idea how efficient the N63 setup is.

    Only way to really find out is to try.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    7.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if there would be any measurable benefit on the N63, as when the car is under load the turbos are sucking air into the engine with more force than an increased 'ram air' effect would have from scoops.
    IMO, it should help increase the amount of air flow especially when you are on the highway. By just looking at the flat angle of the intake tube's entry point, it should be better when the air was both "push" and "pull" into the engine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    7.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Intake modifications can have an appreciable affect on turbo cars of course but I have no idea how efficient the N63 setup is.

    Only way to really find out is to try.
    I agree. And also it is not that easy to test if there is any increase in air flow after install. I am also wondering how hard it could be to swap the OEM air filter to something else since the OEM filter is attached to the top part of the airbox as one element.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    18
    Rep Points
    20.6
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I just received items 15 & 16 from the image below.

    The shop that works on my car is going to work up some CAD drawings and see what they come up with to improve airflow going into the engine. I'm sure it will be minimal, but it will be something...

    Once we remove the intakes we plan to look at how things are setup and see if there is additional room for improvement in there... the only other change we plan to make is some form of front facing duct that will connect to part numbers 17 & 18 to direct air into the intake pipes. Right now they are just holes on the sides, just in front of the radiator.

    Click here to enlarge
    Rich B.

    2015 Alpine White M4

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,356
    Rep Points
    32,764.6
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rborgia Click here to enlarge
    I just received items 15 & 16 from the image below.

    The shop that works on my car is going to work up some CAD drawings and see what they come up with to improve airflow going into the engine. I'm sure it will be minimal, but it will be something...

    Once we remove the intakes we plan to look at how things are setup and see if there is additional room for improvement in there... the only other change we plan to make is some form of front facing duct that will connect to part numbers 17 & 18 to direct air into the intake pipes. Right now they are just holes on the sides, just in front of the radiator.

    Click here to enlarge
    I think scoops would be the easiest and most cost effective solution to routing more air.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,089
    Rep Points
    918.5
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    @rborgia any updates? how'd your scoop project thingie go

    @zibo.rao how about you
    '08 535xi - fbo

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •