Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Track Ready N54s

I have searched and realized that on our forums there is much more support for 1/4 mile tracks and n54s than, for example, a normal circuit.

I am a beginner, have no experience racing on a real track but I am sure that my mods will not work to my advantage. At this point, I think the most attractive product will begin with "limp-mode free..."
    With that being said, I have experienced my fair share of limps and honestly, they firhgten me to think about... but I am glad that they occur to preserve the engine. So, lets say that I want to go to an autoX and want to see what I can do with my car; what are the weak links of a 335i when this becomes the topic at hand? I know some people have goe through and raced tracks etc, but alot of what was addressed would be "tune XX ran awesome at track. best choice!" but I am looking for the parts of the car that will beg to be replaced etc and weak links when it comes to the track. does anyone have experience with this that is willing to share?

Thanks a lot guys!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You should be fine for AutoX. I ran last weekend and it was 95+ here in Houston. Oil temps never got past the "normal" 240-250F. The runs were <50seconds so there's not a lot of time for the oil to heat up.

Track days are a different story. An extra oil cooler is a must, even for cars with the stock BMW unit. There are several on the market that work well.

The Berk Technology time attack 135i uses an AR Design oil cooler and routinely runs in hot conditions without limping.

If you are tuned, running less boost on the track should also help keep oil temps down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oil Cooler-FMIC-Brakes-Tires-

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i track pretty often, especially summer. i have broken 3 camber links. 2 on the right (both times lower link) and 1 on the left. i plan on upgrading to the 1000hp half shafts as i feel thats another part begging to be upgraded, especially with the torque these cars can produce.
    I havnt tracked with these new turbos yet but when they were stock i almost never limped on good racing oil. i have the stock cooler btw..
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the input! I actually have an AMS FMIC, but I do not know if that helps. I am going to be getting DPs soon, and was thinking about the ardesign oil cooler.

The second question was about the wear and tear on the stock suspension and how tracking affects it as opposed to spirited driving.

and oddjob, care to elaborate on the camber links, what caused them, sounds you heard etc etc.? I just want to be educated before I take on this route with my car, because I actually love the car!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

it happens during heavy cornering. and my guess is it's caused by my right foot not being steady due to the undulations on the course, this puts extra load during a high load situation. its actually not the link that breaks, its the head of the bolt. it sheers right off! your fmic will help your IAT but not your oil temp. getting the ar cooler will definately help your oil temps though. but before you go that route, i suggest trying a higher grade racing oil when you track. something above the grade of mobil, castrol, penszoil, etc. now im biased when i say try elf total oil, there are other great brands, but the popular run-of-the-mill 5-30 oil is not going to cut it with track abuse, there's just no way around it.

you'll find that each suspension component you change you feel a difference. i can remember going from sways to coils to a strut bar, each upping my cornering and stability. i can now pull over 1g turns easy, my best being 1.09g according to my BMW PSW.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow that is sweet info! So about the racing oil, do you do your normal diving in it too or do you dedicate your car for the track? Formerboosted suggested upgraded halfshafts, how does that come into play here, since he was talking about the hard launches?

I think I am devising a plan for what I will do to the car...
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i use total 5w-40 for daily driving. i change it every 3-5k. you can run this oil on the track too, i do. if you plan to hotlap or spend the entire day, it could help to use the racing oil total offers which is 10w50 i believe, it takes a little longer to get to operating temps but keeps cooler when you're on it. the n54 loves it, dont let the naysayers claim anything above a 30 weight oil will screw with tolerances its bologna, bmw just has a deal with castrol is all, its not that the oil is amazing. i plan on upgrading my halfshafts, but this is because i will be producing over 2 times the stock torque on racegas. i cant believe the stock cv's have withstood the abuse they have honestly.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AA has run them in the lap of america i believe.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oddjob, thank you! I'm guessing that when it's freezing outside you'll need or want normal oil. But when it's hot and / or you're tracking, you'll want racing oil. This begs the question: why don't more people use this oil at the strip? It only males sense... Right?
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regardless of the oil, you'll need an additional oil cooler if you want to be limp-proof. Unless your running in pretty cool conditions.

The AR design unit has obviously been proven on the track. VK Motorworks also makes a nice looking unit that fits in the stock location with a bit of fender liner cutting. Dinan has one too, but as with anything with those five letters on it, $$$

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah... I agree. I am looking at Ar's stuff, and figuring out what I wanna do first! this car is too fun, but it swallows money too!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i just talked to abid about upgraded oil coolers. ill share this info because i believe it may save some people either money or their car it seems. abid said adding another resevior of cooling and the lines for it makes your oil pump work much harder to move all the additional fluid around and to more places. on cold start conditions is where you'll do the most damage if you could imagine. the stock oil pump isnt strong enough, and replacing it would require you to crack open the block, unlikely for most owners. what he suggested i do, which i believe is a cheaper and interesting option, is to mount a cooling fan to turn on at a set temp via a themostat. sounds like it could work well with all the flow it gets from the tunnel. ill talk more with him about it when i go in for the i/c at some point.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i just talked to abid about upgraded oil coolers. ill share this info because i believe it may save some people either money or their car it seems. abid said adding another resevior of cooling and the lines for it makes your oil pump work much harder to move all the additional fluid around and to more places. on cold start conditions is where you'll do the most damage if you could imagine. the stock oil pump isnt strong enough, and replacing it would require you to crack open the block, unlikely for most owners. what he suggested i do, which i believe is a cheaper and interesting option, is to mount a cooling fan to turn on at a set temp via a themostat. sounds like it could work well with all the flow it gets from the tunnel. ill talk more with him about it when i go in for the i/c at some point.
    sounds like a solid idea, but isn't the pump's extra work negligible when pumping in parallel? Anyways thanks for bringing this up.
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    I understand the concern, but lots of guys running secondary oil coolers haven't had any problems. This includes the Berk Technology time attack car I mentioned earlier. If it's installed in parallel to the stock unit it will not significantly add to the resistance of the system and the additional oil required doesn't have any affect on the pump. If you're worried about pressure differences, go with the VK unit which replaces the stock oil cooler with a larger, less restrictive unit. Just like a bigger intercooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
    I understand the concern, but lots of guys running secondary oil coolers haven't had any problems. This includes the Berk Technology time attack car I mentioned earlier. If it's installed in parallel to the stock unit it will not significantly add to the resistance of the system and the additional oil required doesn't have any affect on the pump. If you're worried about pressure differences, go with the VK unit which replaces the stock oil cooler with a larger, less restrictive unit. Just like a bigger intercooler.
    thanks for the insight. i like the idea of replacing stock parts with better ones. ill look into it.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe