Close

Thread: N54 blow by

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 blow by

These engines seem to blow by quite a bit hence catch cans becoming a nessesity when tuning these engines. I always thought blow was caused by warn rings allowing pressure to escape. If this is correct and warn rings are the cause, are were loosing performance as well as harming the engine in the long run? Or am I being a noob?
    Trebilabackend/JB4 - VVT stage 1 - CP-e downpipes - wagner evo2 FMIC - ER charge pipe - Forge diverter valves - BMS DCI - n55 mids - evolve race exhaust - KWv3 - Quaife diff - huge 8 pots Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do a search on how the N54 PCV system works, it's a bit different from the standard concept.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I capture at least a quarter cup of oil in a red Solo party plastic cups on each oil change.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Do a search on how the N54 PCV system works, it's a bit different from the standard concept.
    Will do. Reason why I'm concerned is that since going FBO with VVT stage 1 from stock oil seems to be gettin used a lot more when I had no issues with consumption before. No leaks and hardly any smoke from exhaust and coolant seems to be clear. Hasn't been re tuned since FBO so it might have something to do with the tune maybe.
    Trebilabackend/JB4 - VVT stage 1 - CP-e downpipes - wagner evo2 FMIC - ER charge pipe - Forge diverter valves - BMS DCI - n55 mids - evolve race exhaust - KWv3 - Quaife diff - huge 8 pots Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What oil are you using?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing special. My Indy just put bmw ll-04 oil in. Worth a change?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I use any weight other than 0w40 with castrol synthetic (made in Germany) I seem to burn up oil a little quicker. It also can have a lot to do with how heavy footed you have been.
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know on more conventional setups like my g35 which guzzled oil, it seems like the more you engine brake to decelerate or downshift to slow down and pull vacuum the more oil gets consumed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    I know on more conventional setups like my g35 which guzzled oil, it seems like the more you engine brake to decelerate or downshift to slow down and pull vacuum the more oil gets consumed
    Very good point. I use this method quite alot or my brakes get eaten up. So more power, more vacuum more blow by?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Op if youre worried get the rob beck pcv valve and bms oil catch can. Ive had them on my car and they work well i have 65k on my car now did a walnut blasting at a local shop (flemming auto) and the valves werent bad just black. I dont burn oil either and i use the bmw oil and change very 5k or after a track weekend .
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The root of the issue is how ineffective BMW's cyclonic chambers are. This is where the oil and oil vapors are suppose to be seperated, and the vapors sucked into the chamber via the ports on each cylinders intake ports and the oil drained back into the block. Problem is the system sucks and was only designed for stock like power.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    The root of the issue is how ineffective BMW's cyclonic chambers are. This is where the oil and oil vapors are suppose to be seperated, and the vapors sucked into the chamber via the ports on each cylinders intake ports and the oil drained back into the block. Problem is the system sucks and was only designed for stock like power.
    What you have to do is block off the stock separators inside the valve cover, and put an AN bulkhead fitting into the front of the cover, then you can run ALL of the blow by though an external separator and into a "T" fitting where the blow by can either go through the flapper valve to the rear turbo intake tube under boost, or go through the valve cover and through the stock PCV valve and into the head ports under vacuum.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    What you have to do is block off the stock separators inside the valve cover, and put an AN bulkhead fitting into the front of the cover, then you can run ALL of the blow by though an external separator and into a "T" fitting where the blow by can either go through the flapper valve to the rear turbo intake tube under boost, or go through the valve cover and through the stock PCV valve and into the head ports under vacuum.
    Agree, if i ever have to take my head off for any reason i plan on having those holes welded or plugged.

Click here to enlarge