Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

identifying throttle mapping tables in Tunerpro?

has anyone here attempted to find and define the throttle mapping tables in TunerPro?

or any other tables for that matter.

I'd love to help if I knew where to start. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like the hex copied to excel so we can highlight and add notes... I'm no good with excel though. Maybe a hex editor can do the same thing, or at least format it for an easy copy. Would like to know how someone that has defined a bin before does this. Using TP or a simple hex editor just seems too troublesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I'd like the hex copied to excel so we can highlight and add notes... I'm no good with excel though. Maybe a hex editor can do the same thing, or at least format it for an easy copy. Would like to know how someone that has defined a bin before does this. Using TP or a simple hex editor just seems too troublesome.
    i copied my .bin file from a hex reader (HxD for windows) into excel then formatted and converted the hex to decimal using formulas. haven't had time to analyze but i feel that it is easier to analyze when you can see the hex, bin and ansi at the same time.

BIN FILE to HEX to DECIMAL (EXCEL2).xlsx (69.2 MB)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!EpIzVQ5Y!TYaunw...DeW5QytXdaGUY4

the file is very large b/c i still have the conversion formulas in there but you can copy paste values to make it run faster. also, formulas are set to manual calculation so you have to hit f9 to run calcs on any formulas you edit or add.

EDIT: IJEOS; Link to original .bin file on downloads page.
    Last edited by nelsonmg; 09-10-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add 'edit'

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is very nice... maybe you could upload to the BB file page. @Sticky? And potentially port the other ROMs into excel.

Some of the data is 1 byte (majority is 2), but adding a hidden column set with 1 byte dec conversion would further enhance it. Maybe add conversion multiplier cell above the decimal columns so can search for specific headers, data that we know.

Awesome job!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    very helpful! ill dig into this when I get home and hopefully find something interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hey @nelsonmg, I made some additions to your sheet with multiplier and 1 byte conversion. Can you do me a favor... either,
    Copy my stock bin into your excel file so I can download it OR
    Explain how to copy a bin into this excel file OR
    Attach exact bin that is in the excel file
    I'd like to have confirmation of known values referring to TP and this file. Of course my preference is to work off my stock bin (attached).

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hey @nelsonmg, I made some additions to your sheet with multiplier and 1 byte conversion. Can you do me a favor... either,
    Copy my stock bin into your excel file so I can download it OR
    Explain how to copy a bin into this excel file OR
    Attach exact bin that is in the excel file
    I'd like to have confirmation of known values referring to TP and this file. Of course my preference is to work off my stock bin (attached).

Thanks!
    Ya, I would want to work out of my bin as well.

I have added your bin to the original sheet. I am interested to see what you added. Please send along.

https://mega.co.nz/#!98BFkb4Y!LDImUj...qkKnp1trXxT-u0

instructions for future ref
    1. open in HxD
    2. edit>select all
    3. edit>copy as>editor view (make sure it processes)
    4. open excel
    5. copy>paste
    6. data>text to columns>delimited>next>check 'space' for delimter>next>change all columns to text format

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks, I was able to copy. All I did was add 1 byte dec conversion and multiplier cells for each dec column sets:
    Here's a snapshot... this is a great start to review/decipher the hex. It'll take a bunch of time, but can put a couple minutes a day into it and eventually make some progress. I'm just going start by highlighting the existing tables to get some rhythm going and then start looking for others.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks, I was able to copy. All I did was add 1 byte dec conversion and multiplier cells for each dec column sets:
    Here's a snapshot... this is a great start to review/decipher the hex. It'll take a bunch of time, but can put a couple minutes a day into it and eventually make some progress. I'm just going start by highlighting the existing tables to get some rhythm going and then start looking for others.
    i am also following that plan of attack but havent had much time to get into it.

will the single-byte decimal provide any insight? just curious what we may find in that.

also, are you using the multiplier so you can find a table with data that is converted at some value X, then apply that multiplier to the entire bin (decimals) so then you can possibly sniff out other tables that incorporate those values?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nelsonmg Click here to enlarge
    i am also following that plan of attack but havent had much time to get into it.

will the single-byte decimal provide any insight? just curious what we may find in that.

also, are you using the multiplier so you can find a table with data that is converted at some value X, then apply that multiplier to the entire bin (decimals) so then you can possibly sniff out other tables that incorporate those values?
    for example, ignition timing is 1byte/2... maybe the only one so far that's 1 byte, not sure yet. Exactly, the multiplier is used to find recognizable values... like load is 2byte/100, temp 2byte/10, factors 2 bytes/various values. Most of these conversions are in TP of course for the known tables... some are wrong though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    for example, ignition timing is 1byte/2... maybe the only one so far that's 1 byte, not sure yet. Exactly, the multiplier is used to find recognizable values... like load is 2byte/100, temp 2byte/10, factors 2 bytes/various values. Most of these conversions are in TP of course for the known tables... some are wrong though.
    good stuff. thanks man. ultimately, i hope this document will facilitate more analysis of the bin. easier for people to analyze should result in more eyes/minds on the bin and faster progress.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This bin is a little more complicated than I've seen before. Just more stuff, and some of the conventions they use confused me at first. I have negative time, but it's helpful to decipher first the code used to communicate, then trace code for common things like load, temp, pressure. Once you get accustomed to those things, and basic table sizes, you can start to build a map between everything. There's some nice work done already, even if scaled incorrectly the locations and raw data is useful to help you put things together in your head for the disassembly you guys are making. I wish i could help here, this type of work is kinda like building a desk from Ikea without instructions. Just keep at it, and always keep in mind how the cars systems integrate with the computer and how those sensors report their readings as best you can. There's probably more intelligent people tech wise on this project than any other open source I've seen before, good news seeing the complexity in there, good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @nelsonmg already posted a way of importing the .bin into excel, but here is another method for anyone who is interested. Copy the code into a macro replacing ENTER PATH TO BIN HERE with the path to where your bin is located (example "C:\Desktop\Name of Your File.bin"). This will import it into Sheet1. Sheet2 is where I used a hextodec function to convert the bin in Sheet1. There's probably a better way to do this but my VBA knowledge is not very good. Google is your friend Click here to enlarge
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well, I was on a role today... highlighting, adding, correcting definitions... trying to figure this out. And then Fing TP crashed... SOB!!!!!!!!! I lost most of my work in TP. Anyway, here's a snapshot. Working with this excel file is not bad. Finding tables is fairly easy... so far they seem to be grouped together. The hard part would be defining a table and understanding how they correlate to others... baby steps. Its all new to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ nice Click here to enlarge
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your just looking to find tables I would use a hex editor with graphing - they stand out pretty clearly with those functions....jmo.

Does anyone have one of these on an emulator?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NoGo Click here to enlarge
    If your just looking to find tables I would use a hex editor with graphing - they stand out pretty clearly with those functions....jmo.

Does anyone have one of these on an emulator?
    This sounds promising. The relationships should be easy to spot visually. I googled and didn't find anything on the topic. Can you please explain how we can go about doing this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Use a hex editor that has the function, or if your good in VB you can build a macro in excel. Tunerpro has a hex editor that can do this. Should be under Tools-Advanced if I remember correctly. 2d for x/y and 3d for x/y/z functions. Finding the tables is the easy part. Learning what they do/are is the tricky part.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NoGo Click here to enlarge
    Use a hex editor that has the function, or if your good in VB you can build a macro in excel. Tunerpro has a hex editor that can do this. Should be under Tools-Advanced if I remember correctly. 2d for x/y and 3d for x/y/z functions. Finding the tables is the easy part. Learning what they do/are is the tricky part.

thanks I will check it out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is very nice... maybe you could upload to the BB file page. @Sticky? And potentially port the other ROMs into excel.

Some of the data is 1 byte (majority is 2), but adding a hidden column set with 1 byte dec conversion would further enhance it. Maybe add conversion multiplier cell above the decimal columns so can search for specific headers, data that we know.

Awesome job!
    Sorry, what are you asking for exactly @JoshBoody?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale