Close

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GuidoK Click here to enlarge
    I think sticky means the kit as a whole. Especially the dme tuning/injectors etc.
    I'm sure sticky knows the commercial implementations of the m112 and that it's about as indestructible as they come. The biggest challenge is the tuning.
    But with all these kits: support is verything. That said, someone was also the first to try a AA kit or ESS kit.

I know what you mean/said, but I had a respectable engine builder (Rebello Racing) adddres this issue. And I still have a BMW.Click here to enlarge

Need for torque down low depends on the drive ratio. The choice of CF or volumetric is imho more based on how the engine's used/suited. An engine that loves to rev (and is used in that way) is more suitable for a CF.
    Is a 540i such a car/engine? (personally I think not)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

^ You posted inside the quote tags.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    "Need for down low torque" depends on displacement or a turbo. Ask any GM or AMG engineer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    You have a V8 for God's sake, I don't know why you just wouldn't build that up and use a CF for the top end. It's not like you have a 4 or 6 cylinder that needs a turbo or Roots. If you need torque down low, you need a better engine.

I'm driving a 4800lb car, 5200lb SUV and a 5500lbs truck...a roots blower will get them off the line like nothing else will, after that, momentum keeps them going. I don't want an Autobahn racer (centrifugal), I want a street light runner (roots/twin screw) that'll get my pigs off their asses.

As for needing a bigger engine...what do you think FI is? If I have a 4.4l engine, for every 14.7lbs of boost added, that's like doubling the engine size. Everything from buses to semi's add FI for a reason...bigger displacement power delivery at small(er) engine mileage. I'm only going to run 6ish lbs in the X5, I'll push the 740iL6 until I'm satisfied (I'm guessing 15ish on the built engine I have in it) and I'm running anywhere from 14-24lbs in my Harley F150 based on the pulley/fuel I'm running. Short of doing an engine swap to an LSx (which I'll do after I pop the engine in the X5), this is the best I can do to have "a better engine"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Actually, turbo is good for better gas mileage. S/C has way too much parasitic drain. When I drive my 540i now, I can can see the gas gauge go down 1/4 tank after 65 miles. Hopefully a new tune will help, but thanks that it is only my week-end car.
    Agreed, but the reason VF and Dinan went to centrifugal is because headers and all the other crap required aren't the easy part. While centrifugal is basically a belt driven turbo, it's not adjustable via a wastegate, so not nearly as fun because the tradeoff is that the max psi is only reached at the max RPM's of the engine, which I think is dangerous...as if redlining an engine isn't hard enough, then a centrifugal will be throwing in another 6-8psi...sounds like a recipe for things breaking because users only get to see the most power at the highest revs. I'll stick to turbo or roots, centrifugal is a bandaid fix for getting boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m5james Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, but the reason VF and Dinan went to centrifugal is because headers and all the other crap required aren't the easy part. While centrifugal is basically a belt driven turbo, it's not adjustable via a wastegate, so not nearly as fun because the tradeoff is that the max psi is only reached at the max RPM's of the engine, which I think is dangerous...as if redlining an engine isn't hard enough, then a centrifugal will be throwing in another 6-8psi...sounds like a recipe for things breaking because users only get to see the most power at the highest revs. I'll stick to turbo or roots, centrifugal is a bandaid fix for getting boost.
    I think you are missing the point. If you have a little 6 cyl. engine then by all means go turbo or roots. But if you have a big boy's engine, then all you need is a little top end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Compared to old body style X5's like mine that have a 4.6-4.8 as an engine option to newer X's that offer the same or even twin turbo 4.4l, or the ML/SRT8 that offer 6.2l V8's, I need all the help I can get...a supercharged 4.4 will at least get me on the neighborhood, but at 1/4 to 1/8 the cost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

While centrifugal is basically a belt driven turbo, it's not adjustable via a wastegate, so not nearly as fun because the tradeoff is that the max psi is only reached at the max RPM's of the engine

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

$2000 more than their standard ProCharger (VF and Dinan use Vortech ones anyways), but awesome they figured out how to make it adjustable like a turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

$2000 more than their standard ProCharger (VF and Dinan use Vortech ones anyways), but awesome they figured out how to make it adjustable like a turbo.
    There are other adjustable supercharger boost options as well. Audi's system, although not centrifugal, for example.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That is one awesome head unit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Look what got delivered FIVE MINUTES after I'd left for work. I work until 1am tonight, this day is going to be soooo long Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

All I see is an unopened box!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I got the text and the pic as I was merging on the freeway...I damn near called in sick lol, but then my level head said that'd cost me a days pay as well as cut into my Bimmerfest vacation time. I'm going to examine everything tonight after work, then take it to my buddies who's going to help me install it and give it a second set of eyes since I don't have recent instructions since this is supposedly much different than the first design. My buddies recently done an M3 swap into a 318ti and now he's doing an M62 swap and ODBI conversion into his E34 540i, so I'm confident he'll be able to help me see things maybe I'd miss that could cause installation issues. Unfortunately I've still gotta order gaskets, wideband 02, Evans coolant and a few other bits and pieces, so it'll be another week or so of agony before I can even start the installation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

First box I received didn't include the SC, I was so excited. Instead it was the newly design plenum, Turbosmart fuel cut defenser and fuel pressure regulator, two air to water intercoolers (one sits inside the supercharger, the other behind the bumper) and associated hoses, intercooler pump and resevoir, gaskets between the heads and adapter plates, fuel rails and lines.

Today's box (once again after I'd left for work) should contain the supercharger, adapter plates, throttle body provisions (for both a non-VANOS and VANOS engine) and I'm not sure what else I might be missing. Once again it's going to be another long day Click here to enlarge

Photos are uploading to Photobucket as we speak, so I'll attach soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

First box I received didn't include the SC
    Kind of a big thing to to not have with an SC kit lol.

New box should have everything though so no big deal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So when do we get to see some actual pics of the parts? Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So, this might be a win for the naysayers, but until I take it to my buddy who's gonna give me a second opinion, I'm still on the fence because I'm still seeing the bigger picture in that overall if I can get it to work, then it'll be a setup that I believe that'll be better than a centrifugal. So, with that said, here are the pics and some explainations below as to what I'm seeing as issues and even things I might just address depending on how tonights conversation goes once my buddy and I discuss it.

Below is the list of items I've pointed out to the builder, and while he's agreeing to give me a refund at the moment, it's out of PayPal's hands now, so I could screw myself by sending this back and then getting no refund at all. Sorry the pics are so random and I don't have an explanation below each pic, but for the sake of discussion, you'll just have to look at the pics and figure it out for yourself.

2014 BMW M62 M112 Photos by m5james | Photobucket

- The bottom of his mounting kit isn't exactly the most well made, but I'm sure w/ a little Dremel work it'd clean up.
    - Inside of the mounting kit is terrible. Welding slag everywhere, it's dirty and the opening from the mounting kit going into the internal intercooler is smaller than the outlet for the SC itself. On top of that the internal intercooler isn't even sealed to the mounting kit, so the air being forced out of the supercharger will go everywhere...around, through, etc the internal intercooler. There's also a nipple between two lines coming from the intercooler that's hand threaded in and sealed w/ an o-ring instead of thread tape.
    - He claims to rebuild the supercharger, but instead he just cleaned it (halfass mind you) and then paint EVERYTHING black. What blew my mind the most is that he painted the damn rotors!!! I've used these superchargers, seen countless mods on the forums, etc. The standard rebuild is to gut them of bearings, oil and seals, install all new and sometimes even strip the teflon coating off the rotors because it eventually flakes off. He painted over the damn things...blows my mind.
    - The seal between the supercharger and mounting kit is a factory gasket, but then he lathered it in black silicone to assist w/ plugging the 6 mounting holes he uses to secure the supercharger to the mounting kit.
    - I don't understand why he'd change it or modify it, but the rod between the vacuum diaphragm for the boost wastegate is a goofy sheet of metal he tack welded, which is too long, therefore it hits during movement. Also the inside of the valve itself is caked w/ oil, which is another sign he didn't rebuild it.
    - The gaskets that get used between the throttle body, cover plate over the intercooler to the mounting kit and between the mounting kit and the heads look like they were cut by a 5yr old w/ a butter knife...no straight edges, symetrical or even the same shape as the inlet runners.
    - For some reason I've got 3 intercoolers. One came installed inside the supercharger assembly itself between the mounting kit and the top plate, a front mount but then I've got this extra black one that looks like a heater core. He included an intercooler pump and resevoir (X5 engine bay seems to have no room for it, yet he drives an X5), which he says he threw in for free, but failed to mention they're fresh from a junkyard...rust residue in the resevoir and all.
    - Fuel rails snap onto the side of the kit are made of nothing more than copper line, then I've got two random pieces of copper in the shape of an S that I've got no clue how they'd be used.
    - The fiberglass plenum he made is nice and all, but it's completely hand made and shows it....uneven runner diameters, dust, the inlet where the air filter would go isn't even round. The outlet where it feeds into the TB has two odd, very sharp edges which seems they'd just create a ton of turbulence.

In hindsight I should have went w/ the Stage 1 setup that uses a proven Jaguar XJR setup in that it'll have less custom parts (aka chance for errors) and really only needed adapter plates and fueling, but push is coming to shove and I've contacted Paypal because I want a refund. He's angrily agreed but I'm worried if I sent it back to him w/o PayPal support (I'm past their 45 day window) that I could just send it back and he'd keep it and my money.

Overall I still want to do the Eaton supercharger, but instead via ordering my own parts...buy the supercharger and included intercoolers and plenum on eBay for $900, have it shipped directly to my buddy who'll port and rebuilt it for $300, contract a local shop to make the adapters from the stock Jaguar intercoolers onto our heads (basically this guys Stage I kit) I'm guessing for $200-$400 and then document the hell outta his design so that I can buy the parts (rubber and stainless hoses, FPR, fuel cut defender, etc) for around $1000 and duplicate it myself. I'm clearly not going to get this going for Bimmerfest, which is a HUGE disappointment, but this kit has turned out to be the same as well. I had such high hopes, considering how long he took to make it I'd expected much better and that I'd only be fixing tuning...that's not the case. I'm still going to let my friend look at it and see what we can do before I make a final decision, but in the meantime I'm leaning very strongly to just making it myself after the fact.

Flamesuit on...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

$#@! man... I'm sorry to hear.

You're not going to get flamed. You tried, it wasn't what you expected. No need for I told you so's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

While this does nothing for my confidance, he sent me a link (in the middle of our arguements about me wanting a refund no less) to a vague video of the Stage 6 idling and rev'ing on his car...still no dyno results, driving videos, racing against a stock 540 for comparison, etc.

I can only assume he's assembled his kit better than mine, but even then, I still wish I would have gotten the Stage 1 at this point just because 95% of the kit is stock, proven Jaguar parts. Now I just need to get my refund so that I can just make it myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

While this does nothing for my confidance, he sent me a link (in the middle of our arguements about me wanting a refund no less) to a vague video of the Stage 6 idling and rev'ing on his car...still no dyno results, driving videos, racing against a stock 540 for comparison, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceIGjb_gfs

I can only assume he's assembled his kit better than mine, but even then, I still wish I would have gotten the Stage 1 at this point just because 95% of the kit is stock, proven Jaguar parts. Now I just need to get my refund so that I can just make it myself.
    Just get your refund. Go with a tried and true solution.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm negotiating getting a refund. No matter what I'm going to get an Eaton setup going, instead I'm just going to have it built by someone I trust...myself :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just get your refund. Go with a tried and true solution.
    Unfortunately, there is no tried and true solution for the S62/M62/M60. I had to spend over $5K to fix RMS's bull$#@! crappy workmanship.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Unfortunately, there is no tried and true solution for the S62/M62/M60. I had to spend over $5K to fix RMS's bull$#@! crappy workmanship.
    Well there are some working S62/M62 solutions...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well there are some working S62/M62 solutions...
    Please explain.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast