Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People looking for a value should play elsewhere other than with boosted E9X M3's. If deciding between new kits once again a few grand here or there does not matter.

Will turbos be more money? Sure, but not much more.
    Let's remember that not everybody has the cash flow to dump $50k+ into a build. And that the E9x M is an out of production car, so it's falling into the affordable/mod-conscious range (whether it holds the value or continues to depreciate when the F3x M3/M4 is released).

The E9x is going to be a $35-$45k used car (depending on year, mileage, options, etc), and for new supercharger/turbo kit money (which still no concrete info has been released on outside a picture of a prototype manifold & ballpark estimate), you'd be able to get a PROVEN option with quality HP return: a used supercharger kit, full catless exhaust & possibly some other goodies (Apex wheels, KW coilovers, interior gauges, etc)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

AND if people wanted the best bang for buck (aka, "Value") with modded Euro-Muscle, they'd be buying a C63 and spending half the money on a Weistec setup that yields a lot more power

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Let's remember that not everybody has the cash flow to dump $50k+ into a build. And that the E9x M is an out of production car, so it's falling into the affordable/mod-conscious range (whether it holds the value or continues to depreciate when the F3x M3/M4 is released).

The E9x is going to be a $35-$45k used car (depending on year, mileage, options, etc), and for new supercharger/turbo kit money (which still no concrete info has been released on outside a picture of a prototype manifold & ballpark estimate), you'd be able to get a PROVEN option with quality HP return: a used supercharger kit, full catless exhaust & possibly some other goodies (Apex wheels, KW coilovers, interior gauges, etc)
    Once again modifying the M3 is not a value proposition. For what this kit costs new and what turbos cost new it is a minor difference. IMO, negligible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

AND if people wanted the best bang for buck (aka, "Value") with modded Euro-Muscle, they'd be buying a C63 and spending half the money on a Weistec setup that yields a lot more power
    What Weistec setup is half the money with more power?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Meh its almost apples to apples when it comes to modding a C63 or M3

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2012-bmw-m3-vs-2012-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-comparison-test-car-and-driver2012-bmw-m3-vs-2012-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-jan12.pdf

Yes C63 is faster. But the M3 did have a better Skid Pad and faster slalom.

I think i'd enjoy a Positive Displacement S/C M3. I prefer torque over HP anyways.

But the C63 has a boat load of Torque from the factory so it would get my choice!

On a side not though. When it comes to modding a car it should made and modded for you and your personal preference no one else!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What Weistec setup is half the money with more power?
    Same price as a 650 kit ($15k) and you get Weistec S3 which offfers 100+ HP/240+ TQ, so already there's A LOT more area under the curve. And if you build the S65 motor to compete (like in Drew's VT3), you're looking at ~$25/30k range for just the motor/supercharger build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Same price as a 650 kit ($15k) and you get Weistec S3 which offfers 100+ HP/240+ TQ, so already there's A LOT more area under the curve. And if you build the S65 motor to compete (like in Drew's VT3), you're looking at ~$25/30k range for just the motor/supercharger build.
    It's a different type of supercharger but where is the more power argument for half the money you are making? It doesn't exist.

You have to build the M156 too if you want to compete with a built motor M3. It's the same thing and the M3 is also lighter with a DCT plus higher redline. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how the built motor M156 supercharged cars stack up to mine and it might change some perspectives.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

i think I did some work out of the options a week ago and the best risk reward for value was a Max PSI turbo'ed E46 M3 but I suspect from all the videos and in person evidence I have seen, an E9X with Gintani or Evolve S/C is pretty hard to beat around a track or on the street on a quality/value/performance for $$ basis

Had a guy thrash (beat that is) a friend's McLaren every way 'til Sunday with an E93 M3 with some nasty S/C and mods on her... simply scary at 0 to 150 mph
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    i think I did some work out of the options a week ago and the best risk reward for value was a Max PSI turbo'ed E46 M3 but I suspect from all the videos and in person evidence I have seen, an E9X with Gintani or Evolve S/C is pretty hard to beat around a track or on the street on a quality/value/performance for $$ basis

Had a guy thrash (beat that is) a friend's McLaren every way 'til Sunday with an E93 M3 with some nasty S/C and mods on her... simply scary at 0 to 150 mph
    People underestimate the S65 V8 with boost. It's a potent platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Don't think I would ever underestimate a V8 that can revvvvvvvvv so HIGH... bloody amazing machine... I think Benzy and I were referring to relative value power...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Don't think I would ever underestimate a V8 that can revvvvvvvvv so HIGH... bloody amazing machine... I think Benzy and I were referring to relative value power...
    My car is a whore, anyone can drive her Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    My car is a whore, anyone can drive her Click here to enlarge
    I would say the same thing about my ex but as far as my dog goes... no one can have him !

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I really wish the local guy doing the harrop didnt pull it off. would love to have lined them up Click here to enlarge
    It really didn't make sense for me to leave it on since there was no tune for the hardware. Keep in mind I only had my car for 4 days before sending it out to California. I got it back 3 months later... I've been in touch with Harrop, you may get your chance after all...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mfatuation Click here to enlarge
    It really didn't make sense for me to leave it on since there was no tune for the hardware. Keep in mind I only had my car for 4 days before sending it out to California. I got it back 3 months later... I've been in touch with Harrop, you may get your chance after all...
    SOunds great man, you headed down to Mpact Click here to enlarge ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

SOunds great man, you headed down to Mpact Click here to enlarge ?
    We'll see what happens... As for Mpact, way too far for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mfatuation Click here to enlarge
    .. I've been in touch with Harrop, you may get your chance after all...
    care to elaborate on that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm getting stationed back in Germany next year and originally had plans to get the Evolve kit upon arrival. This kit is looking pretty promising considering the numbers the Stage 1 puts out. I think it will make for a really fun DD. Hopefully the tuning is solid and wont have any hiccups. Looks like the install will be a but more simple compared to the centri also.

-Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e46m3to335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm getting stationed back in Germany next year and originally had plans to get the Evolve kit upon arrival. This kit is looking pretty promising considering the numbers the Stage 1 puts out. I think it will make for a really fun DD. Hopefully the tuning is solid and wont have any hiccups. Looks like the install will be a but more simple compared to the centri also.

-Nick
    They have numbers out!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Over on M3P, there is a post that has a Harrop ad stating some Stage 1 numbers. I would post the link but im sure that's not chill here, lol.

-Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Over on M3P, there is a post that has a Harrop ad stating some Stage 1 numbers. I would post the link but im sure that's not chill here, lol.

-Nick
    This one?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Really hoping that Stage 1 is max power for the stock motor.... Then again I have no idea how stressful 5.5 psi (from that blower) is on a stock motor/internals

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If im not mistaken, from my Coyote 5.0 days. There is more parasitic loss from roots/TVS/Twin Screw blowers than Centri's. Im also pretty sure they put more strain on the rotating assembly(mainly the crank pulley).

-Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

If im not mistaken, from my Coyote 5.0 days. There is more parasitic loss from roots/TVS/Twin Screw blowers than Centri's. Im also pretty sure they put more strain on the rotating assembly(mainly the crank pulley).

-Nick
    eh, i was in love with the idea, but after reviewing more data, im trying to stay quiet until they release details. If they have HP to quote id like to see the graph at least. show us that low down tq hit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Agreed. A graph will put things in a better perspective for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast