Close

Thread: ETS exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

ETS exhaust

Ive seen a couple of exhausts threads in the past couple of weeks. I have been looking to do something in this regard, since i am pushing upper power levels of stock turbos lol. I ended up buying a lightly used ets exhaust from someone local to me. 2.5 inch piping, vband connections, and nice polished mufflers make this a nice piece.
    Impressions: Upon cold start up, tone is a lot deeper than the blaring noise coming from the stock exhaust on cold start. It settles down to a nice quiet light noise. Not a very loud exhaust at all.

lets start with the bad: the cabin booming that people are talking about with exhausts, is there between 1500-3000 rpms. prime cruising range in the city. on the highway it calms down when driving over 2k rpms it seems.

good: def felt an increase in power according to my butt dyno. car just feels faster in the midrange, and ets dynos support that. Not much louder on the upper end (3k-7k) than the stock exhaust was, which is good. Not too much rasp either.

conclusion: nice exhaust, but if i could do it again, id prob cut out the secondary cats and weld in resonators in the stock exhaust. i may just end up doing that if i go back to stock exhaust. im fine with everything for now, but well see how i feel about the low rpm low speed booming in the cabin after a week or two of daily driving.

Click here to enlarge
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Does the ETS have resonators? Or is it essentially straight pipes?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Does the ETS have resonators? Or is it essentially straight pipes?
    no resonators. essentially a straight pipe.

Click here to enlarge
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Same as the AA system then too..... If I do modify the catback, sounds like I'll go the 2nd cat delete/resonators route
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yeah the exhaust is great in every way (sound level, looks, even pricing isnt too bad) except the cabin booming between 1600-2800ish rpms. I have the alpina flash, so the trans always shifts into the next gear asap and rpms drop to around 1500. not very fond of the booming lol.

another alternative, would be for me to have some 200 cell vibrant metallic race cats welded into the exhaust...see if it would quiet it down a bit and remove some of the catless smell that i rarely detect when im at a stop light with my windows down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Same as the AA system then too..... If I do modify the catback, sounds like I'll go the 2nd cat delete/resonators route

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

is that tiny weld the x-pipe?

was gonna say 'where is it' haha

resonators barely restrict flow (nothing noticeable) and help with sound a ton... probably a good avenue.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

is that what yours sounds like?

i'm guessing it's better in person because the bottom vid on my headphones sound like raspy farts Click here to enlarge

the top one's not so bad

but compared to others i've heard :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

you need to have side branch resonators installed. Anything else is a waste of time wrt to drone that you're describing.
    Reducing Drone in aftermarket exhaust - side branch resonators ...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    you need to have side branch resonators installed. Anything else is a waste of time wrt to drone that you're describing.
    Ah yes, Helmholtz resonators.

I believe Active Autowerke uses them as well.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    is that what yours sounds like?

i'm guessing it's better in person because the bottom vid on my headphones sound like raspy farts Click here to enlarge

the top one's not so bad

but compared to others i've heard :/
    no, that is just what stock exhaust with catless downpipes, deleted cats, and with resonators welded in place sounds like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    haha i almost forgot you bought jeramies old exhaust and had those installed! Did it really eliminate the booming in the cabin? i just might have to try that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Do you have any vids of your exhaust? I just got an AA system installed, will be posting up a vid this weekend.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Do you have any vids of your exhaust? I just got an AA system installed, will be posting up a vid this weekend.
    no vids yet, maybe I will get some tonight